Big Brother/Big Sister is Watching (and reporting) On You....

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
dogbite

Re: Big Brother/Big Sister is Watching (and reporting) On You....

Post by dogbite » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:49 am

So it would seem the emphasis now is on keeping the membership busy rather than a bizarre attempt at forceld community building. Thtas what the new stat measures.

BlackMormon

Post by BlackMormon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:01 pm

They will be able to predict who's about ready to abandon ship and based on that take action to re-activate or keep the person active.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:51 am

It's still just a bureaucratic make work system with the side benefit of providing a venue for members to narc on each other.

Real ministering does not reside in corporate performance interviews and statistics.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:08 am

Hermey wrote:
Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:32 pm
Details from the MTC president's rape victim's membership records were used to smear her.
Worse, Joseph Bishop used confidential information provided to him in his capacity of Mission President to target Sister missionaries who had been victims of prior sexual abuse. Er, non-consensual immorality I meant to say.

With this confidential information he started with a group of several Sisters who were vulnerable in this way, and winnowed that group down to one or two victims to be the target of his special favors.

This is a very effective MO for a serial abuser. He even told McKenna that no one would believe her accusations because of her history.

Information is power. Power in the wrong hands leads to abuse of power. That abuse of power becomes institutionalized abuse when the organization covers up the abuse and blames the victim.

The LDS church should not be trusted in the arena of information gathering. At least not until they admit past wrongdoing and make reparations. Which is not likely since any abuse situations are quickly turned over to The Church Legal Department. Believe me, Stoel Rives does not give a shit about anyone's eternal salvation.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 am

For all of those who question the intent of the latest "Ministering" effort, a.k.a. the former and now re-branded HT/VT program, I offer this.....

The Church has now put up some training videos on LDS.org to better assist the "Mormon Minders" (whoops! I mean Ministering Brothers and Ministering Sisters) do their job. In one of the videos, you will notice this lovely quote from (Q12) Elder Gary E. Stephenson
(Q12) Elder Gary E. Stephenson wrote:
"....As we have learned now, we don't count, but we render an account. Ministering Interviews should become the primary source for content in a Presidency Meeting, and even in a Ward Council."
Also in the video, the Ministering Leader is shown taking notes during the quarterly interview. (Q12) Elder D. Todd Christofferson points this out and encourages the practice. I read somewhere that the full roll-out of the Gospel Tools app for Ministering will be sometime around September. I'm watching for a note-taking component (under the guise of achieving greater efficiency in sharing the member's needs among local leadership.)

Gossipalooza '18 - coming soon to ward and stake near you!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:01 am

Jeepers. I guess my monthly treat-delivery service is no longer adequate.

I plan to stick to my standard "thanks but I don't do interviews anymore" commitment. I'm curious about whether I will be getting a new Minister, since the previous Home Teacher rarely came and wasn't nosy in the least.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."