Nelson seems to be a true believing millenarian

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
sparky

Nelson seems to be a true believing millenarian

Post by sparky » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:44 am

Just hearing Russel Nelson talk this conference, and in addition to previous talks he's given (remember the True Millennials talk to YSA a while ago?), it seems this man really, truly believes that the second coming is just around the corner. And wonder of wonders, he's the guy put in charge of getting the church ready for it.

I'm torn between hoping he keeps things the way they are so I can keep flying under the radar, and hoping he does really drastic, nutty things that will open DW's eyes to how crazy the church is.

What are some changes a True Millenarian might make to the present church?

wtfluff

Re: Nelson seems to be a true believing millenarian

Post by wtfluff » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:43 am

sparky wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:44 am
What are some changes a True Millenarian might make to the present church?
I'm going to take a wild stab and say:
  • Ministering
  • Making old guys and not-so-old guys meet all together in the same room.
  • No more "first presidency message" in church magazines. (They'll probably just publish it online.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:10 am

sparky wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:44 am
Just hearing Russel Nelson talk this conference, and in addition to previous talks he's given (remember the True Millennials talk to YSA a while ago?), it seems this man really, truly believes that the second coming is just around the corner.
Is it too cynical to note that at 93 years old, no one will be surprised that President Nelson won't see the next President of the United States, let alone the Second Coming of Jesus? At his age, he probably does not buy green bananas. Nelson can say and do a lot of things that are largely granted due to his overwhelming seniority.

On the other hand, Wendy Watson Nelson, his wife (Second wife) (Pural wife), may be around for several more decades so she has a legacy she has to live with as the future dowager prophetess of the church.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:21 pm

Didn't hear RMNs talks and don't really want to, but did any of you who did notice if he gave any direct testimony of the truth claims? If you think this hijacks the thread I'll spin a new one, but it's just something I've been interested in to see how the new admin behaves.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:21 pm
Didn't hear RMNs talks and don't really want to, but did any of you who did notice if he gave any direct testimony of the truth claims? If you think this hijacks the thread I'll spin a new one, but it's just something I've been interested in to see how the new admin behaves.
Not in the conventional sense from what I heard. I think he mentions the same cliches as Monson and Hinckley. He clearly had an aura of authority over him which was demonstrated by his changes to the normal routine. He inserted himself into the program to make historical announcements and then pulled the surprise 7 temple announcement at the end. He clearly knows he runs the show. Before he was just one of the guys. Now all the guys are shaking his hand, hugging him, pushing him up on top of the pedestal. It's weird to watch and I fear the day Bednar gets the call.

What I found interesting was to watch what happened at the end of each session. Everyone stood up and froze while they waited to see what he would do. Oaks and Eyring as his shadows. One session he stood and waved at everyone. They stood and waved too. Then one session he stood and immediately walked over to Soares and Gong to congratulate them. He hugged them both so Oaks and Erying did too. Then one session he went down the ranks shaking hands from Ballard down to Soares with Oaks and Eyring right behind. The whole time the audience quietly stood there waiting for their hero to exit the arena.

The prophet worship and ass kissing is so palpable. Everyone knows he's the prophet so why do they have to continue reminding everyone and convincing themselves?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:47 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 1:26 pm
RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:21 pm

The prophet worship and ass kissing is so palpable. Everyone knows he's the prophet so why do they have to continue reminding everyone and convincing themselves?
A paraphrase:

And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the stake centers and in the conference center, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

Recieving the honors of men is probably a very heady experience even for an older man. Think of it...Finally in his old age he has at last reached the pinnacle of his life's ambition. Who cares if the Lord doesn't talk to him. Like Tevia says, "Just because they think you really know!" Oh if I were a rich man....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

shadow

Post by shadow » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:20 pm

He's been giving tribes/gathering of Israel talks for the longest time. He came to my mission at the beginning of this millenium and gave basically the same talk he's given in conference in the almost 20 years since. (On a related note, my mission happens to be one of the new temple announcements. I felt oddly wildly happy for the people there, much to my own confusion.)

I only really listened to one talk of his this conference. There were two things that stood out to me:

1) He did a good job humanizing himself with his talk about growing up in a non-mormon/inactive home. Makes him a little more relatable. As he continued with that thread, all I could think was God bless his parents for putting up with such a budding religious zealot.

2) He had zero qualms about laying out his spiritual polygamy. He's quite proud of it.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

Not Buying It

Re: Nelson seems to be a true believing millenaria

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:23 pm

I interpret this conference as President Nelson asserting himself. He has power now and he’s gonna make sure we all know it. He saw how President Monson will be remembered for nothing but his widow stories, wasn’t the least bit interested in doctrine, and didn’t have much interest in changing much of anything. President Nelson’s changes are all merely cosmetic, sure, but the sense I get it is he wants to be remembered as a Church President who actually did something, as opposed to his cruise control predecessor.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:22 am

I'm kinda hoping that Jesus does show up so he can put these guys in their place.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:22 am
I'm kinda hoping that Jesus does show up so he can put these guys in their place.
I've imagined the conversation when Jesus gets back before. It's rather one-sided.

"Hey guys. I see you've done many wonderful works in my name. Kudos, you have your reward. I might be back to talk after I clean up your messes. Ciao!"

(Lately, the Jesus in my mind's eye has started to look and talk like Jonathan on Queer Eye. I don't know what to make of this.)
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.