Temple in Russia - will it happen?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
dareka

Temple in Russia - will it happen?

Post by dareka » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:15 am

Do any of you wonder if the announcement of a temple in Russia is a bit premature? The city is yet to be determined, and with the way things are going with US-Russian relations right now, I wouldn't be surprised if the temple doesn't get built soon, if at all. Maybe just wishful thinking on my part.

Corsair

Re: Temple in Russia - will it happen?

Post by Corsair » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:37 am

It might be interesting to go over the list of temples and see the aggregate status of each. A temple might be "operational", "under construction", "site chosen", or "announced". Calculating ratios over time might be interesting. As much as we describe the LDS church as "wealthy", I still doubt that it has the resources to start a temple in Russia or India any time soon. The announcement was made on Sunday with suitable self-assurance, but the Russia temple can exist as an inspiring, platonic ideal for years without anyone spending a dime on it.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am

Announcements are cheap and hard to validate.

Nobody can verify if it's fact or fiction. If it's true than the gospel is true. If it's delayed, it's Satan's fault and the church is even more true!

Why not announce another one in an undisclosed major city in China?

The timing of the announcement was well placed. I don't understand the audible gasps of excitement though. Oooooooh, aaaaaaaawe! A new temple?? Wwwwwwoooooooowww!!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:47 am

It may be that tithing money cannot be taken out of Russia, so there is not much to do with it except build a temple. That was why East Germany got one years before West Germany where there were more members and missionaries were active and all.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:52 am

This shows how far behind I am.

Last I heard Russia was on the verge of kicking out all Mormon missionaries and they were coming home. But that was like 8 or 10 years ago.

Did the church make a hefty campaign contribution to Vladimir Putin or something?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:08 pm

Palerider wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:52 am

Last I heard Russia was on the verge of kicking out all Mormon missionaries and they were coming home. But that was like 8 or 10 years ago.

Did the church make a hefty campaign contribution to Vladimir Putin or something?
Fringe religions like LDS, JW and SDA are under increased pressure and surveillance. As far as I know the JW’s are legally non existent in that country. The Russian Parliament has become quite forthright in its handling of what its members believe to be western/American agents in disguise.

I imagine the Church has should tapped US Ambassador Huntsman to help smooth the pathway for the temple to be built.

TestimonyLost

Post by TestimonyLost » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:16 pm

Considering the variety of temples out there, I have no doubt they'll get something built at one point that they can call a temple. It will likely be a while and it may look like an office building (e.g. Manhattan) or a mini-temple, but it will happen at one point just so they can see they did it.

ap1054

Post by ap1054 » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:25 pm

I'd be surprised if it ends up happening. From all I've heard about trying to do any business in Russia, you can't get anything done without "doing as the [Russians] do" and playing the bribery games.

But if the ends justify the means, maybe the leadership would be willing to play those games.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:06 pm

I didn't hear the actual announcement. I actually find it hilarious that the announced a temple, but don't have any solid plans. Sound like lame PR move #906778 to me. Why don't they just announce that they'll have a temple in every country "some day"? :mrgreen:

Palerider wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:52 am

As of 2016 I think it was,"missionaries" in Russia could no longer actually be called missionaries. Now they are designated "volunteers". There are also issues with the "way" they can proselyte. I've heard that there have been issues with the law related to this, as in "volunteers" getting tossed in jail, and some parents think it's "funny" because they'll be "protected" by the mormon mission god. I can soundly state that: If any of my kids decide to go on a mission (FSM FORBID!), they WON'T be "volunteering" in Russia, no matter what the celestial-mission-call-computer "decides".

ap1054 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:25 pm
I'd be surprised if it ends up happening. From all I've heard about trying to do any business in Russia, you can't get anything done without "doing as the [Russians] do" and playing the bribery games.

But if the ends justify the means, maybe the leadership would be willing to play those games.
Are you thinking for some reason that LDS-Inc. is "above" bribery for some reason?

After two years of indentured-servitude in a 3rd-world country, I can guarantee that they have had no qualms playing the bribery game when necessary.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:47 pm

I think it was strictly a PR move (and it worked because members are all abuzz about it....the church MUST be true!!).

Also, the announcement of yet another temple in the Philippines?

That makes 3 new temples that have been announced for the Philippines starting back with the first one in 2010 (the Urdaneta Philippines Temple) that have not received government approval...and with no land or location announced, and no ground breaking announced.

The 2nd one was announced in 2017 (the Greater Manila Philippines Temple) and now this 3rd one by Nelson (the Cagayan de Oro Philippines Temple). That makes 3 not even government approved yet!

Only two temples have been built in the Philippines.

But when you go to the website with information on the church's temples, it already lists FIVE temples in the Philippines. However, it neglects to clarify that 3 of them haven’t been approved or built yet :lol: .

https://ldschurchtemples.org/statistics ... ilippines/

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:20 pm

Here is a list of all the temples that have been announced and most still waiting for approvals (and no groundbreaking dates yet):

Announced at October 2010 General Conference:
Urdaneta Philippines Mormon Temple
Construction Status: Awaiting government approvals
Groundbreaking: Not announced

Announced at April 2015 General Conference:
Abidjan Ivory Coast Mormon Temple
Construction Status: Planning and approvals; awaiting official site announcement

Bangkok Thailand Mormon Temple
Construction Status: Official temple rendering released; site location announced

Announced at April 2016 General Conference:
Quito Ecuador Mormon Temple
Construction Status: Planning and approvals; awaiting official site announcement

Harare Zimbabwe Mormon Temple

Belém Brazil Mormon Temple
Construction Status: Planning and approvals; awaiting official site announcements

Lima Peru Los Olivos Mormon Temple
Construction Status: Planning and preliminary construction phase; awaiting official site announcement

Announced at April 2017 General Conference:
Brasília Brazil Mormon Temple
Construction Status: Planning and approvals; site inspected by Church engineers on June 21, 2017

Greater Manila Philippines Mormon Temple
Construction Status: Planning and approvals; awaiting official name announcement

Nairobi Kenya Mormon Temple
Construction Status: Planning and approvals; awaiting official site announcement; media event held June 14, 2017

Pocatello Idaho Mormon Temple

Saratoga Springs Utah Mormon Temple

Announced in April 2018 General Conference
Salta Argentina Mormon Temple

Bengaluru India Mormon Temple

Managua Nicaragua Mormon Temple

Cagayan de Oro Philippines Mormon Temple

Layton Utah Mormon Temple

Richmond Virginia Mormon Temple

Russia Mormon Temple

https://ldschurchtemples.org/construction/

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:28 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:06 pm

After two years of indentured-servitude in a 3rd-world country, I can guarantee that they have had no qualms playing the bribery game when necessary.
Hey, they paid double to have the temple re-built in Rome after it was nearly complete and they found such shoddy workmanship that they had to nearly demolish the entire thing and start over.

What's a few bribes? Those poor suckers in Guatemala are paying for it with their 10 pesos a month that they could be feeding their family with...
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:28 am

My Mish was in Spain, they announced and eventually built a temple in Spain. It was all excitement and hub-bub about Spain finally being a field already to harvest, etc.

Since then however the number of missions in Spain has gone from 5 to 2 (as soon as Malaga closes). Building a temple somewhere doesn't really mean squat, IMHO. LDS inc. has tons of dough so they are going to build temples, if you heard the reaction of the crowd you realize that building a temple in Russia even if only like 3 people ever go there is priceless for its political implications on TBMs.

Speaking of the reaction in the crowd to the announcement of the Russia temple, I actually laughed out loud, which earned me some very dirty looks. The way Nelson did the dramatic reveal and the way he played that crowd seemed such cliche manipulation to me, that it seriously made me laugh!

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 am

A Temple in Vladivostok, Russia would make sense because of the ready access to steel shipping containers which could be used to construct a modular Temple.

Just add an Angel Moroni and the new Temple could be open for business.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:42 am

My brother lives in Saratoga Springs, UT in a housing development adjacent to empty land with good freeway access. He has a reasonable chance of living within sight of a new temple. He would be thrilled if it was, but would be a devoted worshipper no matter where it landed in Saratoga Springs. But that was announced a year ago, and I wonder how long is the patience of a Utah Mormon waiting for their temple when all the excitement is now on a Layton temple. Imagine the indignity of having to drive your family for a whole hour to a Layton temple open house and pass a half dozen other temples while your Saratoga Springs temple remains unbuilt? Let's see how this proceeds.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:47 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:56 am
A Temple in Vladivostok, Russia would make sense because of the ready access to steel shipping containers which could be used to construct a modular Temple.

Just add an Angel Moroni and the new Temple could be open for business.
Nah, not boxy enough.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:11 pm

It will probably get changed to Helsinki
~2bizE

no1saint

Post by no1saint » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:22 pm

AllieOop wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:47 pm
I think it was strictly a PR move (and it worked because members are all abuzz about it....the church MUST be true!!).

That makes 3 new temples that have been announced for the Philippines starting back with the first one in 2010 (the Urdaneta Philippines Temple) that have not received government approval...and with no land or location announced, and no ground breaking announced.

The 2nd one was announced in 2017 (the Greater Manila Philippines Temple) and now this 3rd one by Nelson (the Cagayan de Oro Philippines Temple). That makes 3 not even government approved yet!

But when you go to the website with information on the church's temples, it already lists FIVE temples in the Philippines. However, it neglects to clarify that 3 of them haven’t been approved or built yet :lol: .

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:57 pm

no1saint wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:22 pm
AllieOop wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:47 pm

This link now displays:
All Church unit statistical information has been removed at the request of the Church Legal Department.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:48 am

oliblish wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:57 pm
This link now displays:
All Church unit statistical information has been removed at the request of the Church Legal Department.
I was hoping to get a chance to raise my arm and sustain Elder Church Legal Department as a prophet, seer, and/or revelator at the recent general conference. It must have been an oversight. Elder Church Legal Department is clearly an official officer of the LDS church with important duties to protect and support the institutional LDS church.