McKenna Denson sues Joseph Bishop and the LDS church

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
wtfluff

Re: McKenna Denson sues Joseph Bishop and the LDS church

Post by wtfluff » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:34 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:17 pm
Was somebody typing up a transcript in real time on a typewriter? That was some weird back ground noise.
Camera "shutters"...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:38 am

John Dehlin is calling for those abused in the church, where it was covered up, to come forward. Mormon Stories #897.

I have a feeling there will be more coming forward and this is gunna grow...

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:50 pm

sparky wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 am
I am trying not to get too hopeful about the outcomes of this whole thing, but I really hope it leads to real change in how the church and its members think, talk, and act about abuse. For decades the modus operandi has been to cover up and try to "protect the good name of the church." The script needs to be flipped, such that institutional reputation is tied to how quickly and transparently the church responds to abuse and how effective its preventative policies are, rather than how convincing the facade of perfection is.

More selfishly, I also hope it gives me leeway with family to fade away even more from church engagement.
Many thanks for this quote, and I hope you don't mind I used what you said in a conversation with Sis. M when it came up. Even she, the TBM of all TBM's, actually agreed with you. This is a tipping point. Even those concretely tied to the church recognize that things HAVE to change.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:11 pm

I have thoughts and concerns:
1) I am so proud of this lady. It takes a lot to come forward with rape.
2) how were sealed adoption records opened? I assume they were sealed.
3) how does the dossier contain a lot of information in past ecclesiastical stuff? Do they keep all of these records of people confessing, farting in church, etc? How would leaders from the past even remember this crap? I can’t remember whether I took my pills this morning, but they are guessing on 30 years ago.
4) I wonder what happened to the sister missionary that was the biker gal, and the one that exposed her breasts. There were a few others in the recording. There has to be more.
~2bizE

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:32 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:11 pm
3) how does the dossier contain a lot of information in past ecclesiastical stuff? Do they keep all of these records of people confessing, farting in church, etc? How would leaders from the past even remember this crap? I can’t remember whether I took my pills this morning, but they are guessing on 30 years ago.
4) I wonder what happened to the sister missionary that was the biker gal, and the one that exposed her breasts. There were a few others in the recording. There has to be more.
When LDSFS stopped doing adoption, all those records were transferred to be stored at COB. And, at that time all LDSFS adoptions were closed.

Many people are upset that they could not get their file information, even when the other party had separately sent in a release. However, somehow, this information was located and provided by someone at COB to Greg Bishop and everyone else in that email thread.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:47 pm

Thoughtful wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:32 pm
2bizE wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:11 pm
When LDSFS stopped doing adoption, all those records were transferred to be stored at COB. And, at that time all LDSFS adoptions were closed.

Many people are upset that they could not get their file information, even when the other party had separately sent in a release. However, somehow, this information was located and provided by someone at COB to Greg Bishop and everyone else in that email thread.
This amazes me. I don't know what the rules are surrounding this, but for the church to dig into those records and release them in ANY WAY as a smear attempt, is despicable. And the attempts of the church to smear this woman to quiet her is also despicable.

These "men of God"?....

excuse me....I have to go throw up

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:27 am

Abuse victims are approaching people like Sam Young and expressing intent to sue the church:

http://fox13now.com/2018/04/06/lds-chur ... -inaction/
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:18 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:47 pm
This amazes me. I don't know what the rules are surrounding this, but for the church to dig into those records and release them in ANY WAY as a smear attempt, is despicable. And the attempts of the church to smear this woman to quiet her is also despicable.

These "men of God"?....

excuse me....I have to go throw up
+1

BlackMormon

Post by BlackMormon » Sat Apr 07, 2018 7:00 pm

In my opinion, the church will just settle for an undisclosed amount and she will go away with a gag order. Since misconduct has been admitted, her chances of getting a settlement are pretty high. It seems a little unfair though to extract money from a church for the action(s) of one person. But that's how it works. Her previous lawsuits don't matter.

sparky

Post by sparky » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:57 am

Mormorrisey wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:50 pm
sparky wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:31 am
I am trying not to get too hopeful about the outcomes of this whole thing, but I really hope it leads to real change in how the church and its members think, talk, and act about abuse. For decades the modus operandi has been to cover up and try to "protect the good name of the church." The script needs to be flipped, such that institutional reputation is tied to how quickly and transparently the church responds to abuse and how effective its preventative policies are, rather than how convincing the facade of perfection is.

More selfishly, I also hope it gives me leeway with family to fade away even more from church engagement.
Many thanks for this quote, and I hope you don't mind I used what you said in a conversation with Sis. M when it came up. Even she, the TBM of all TBM's, actually agreed with you. This is a tipping point. Even those concretely tied to the church recognize that things HAVE to change.
I'm glad you were able to use the thought, and I hope it really is a tipping point!

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:22 am

Just remember, the Church will hit back with all the wrath and fury Kirton McConkie can muster. They’ve already shown a willingness to hit below the belt by giving their dossier to Bishop’s son. The Heinlein quote below may be about governments, but the same applies to the Church:
“Jill, a government is a living organism. Like every living thing its prime characteristic is a blind, unreasoned instinct to survive. You hit it, it will fight back.”

Excerpt From
Robert A. Heinlein
Stranger in a Strange Land (Original Version)
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:02 pm

I think they've met their match though. McKenna knows she has credibility issues and is ready to face them. How many times do you think her attorneys have warned her that the other side is going to drag her through the mud and attempt to shred her. I don't think she gives a rip.

Go, McKenna. No settlement - go for the verdict.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:30 am

Archimedes wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:02 pm
I think they've met their match though. McKenna knows she has credibility issues and is ready to face them. How many times do you think her attorneys have warned her that the other side is going to drag her through the mud and attempt to shred her. I don't think she gives a rip.

Go, McKenna. No settlement - go for the verdict.
If other witnesses and victims of abuse come forward, McKenna's case grows in credibility. I hope others DO come forward.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:28 pm

I was disappointed there was nothing in the legal doc about the campus police and PG police reports. Perhaps those will be subpoenaed later? I'd be interested to see what was in the redacted areas of those reports. Maybe she should have hired Bill Reel as her lawyer.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:35 pm

This is absolutely brilliant.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Sometimes Pat Bagley hits it clean out of the ball park.

BTW, the Belt of Truth had been taken back to Kolob along with the plates.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:59 am

Bullseye! Consider the target. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:45 pm

Just listened to part 2 of the cast from RFM.

I feel like I've been kicked in the gut--AGAIN!

I use to be part of this church that throws all its values out as soon as the going gets rough. I will never be able to reconcile my inner self with them.

After listening to that pod-cast, the most accurate comparison I can see is the LDS church being the pharisee, while others smite their chest and beg God for mercy on themselves..."sinners". But, acting as though they are God themselves, the LDS leadership places themselves above God, since they are HIS representatives on earth, and under HIS direction--therefore, they are justified by HIM.

What a CULT!

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 20, 2018 6:58 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:28 pm
I was disappointed there was nothing in the legal doc about the campus police and PG police reports. Perhaps those will be subpoenaed later? I'd be interested to see what was in the redacted areas of those reports. Maybe she should have hired Bill Reel as her lawyer.
Consiglieri also discovered that there is an audio recording. I hope this comes forth at some point. I also REALLY want to know what was on those four lines in the report that remained redacted after the second release.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."