Buckle up, apocalypse imminent!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: Buckle up, apocalypse imminent!

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:07 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:38 pm
Probably just one more reason the COB backed off talking about it.
Yeah, there were some genuine consequences. A friend of mine had relatives who decided not to have their kids educated because it was a waste of time, considering that they'd never need to get jobs or anything, with the apocalypse so close. Their "home schooling" consisted of scripture reading and prepping. I have heard others use the same reasoning for why they didn't need to save for retirement.

Maybe the church took notice of the Harold Camping fiasco when his followers sold their houses and cashed out their retirements to fund his ministry and then found themselves broke and homeless with egg all over their faces. And not even real egg, just the powdered food storage kind,
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

JustHangingOn@57

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks to DW heeding the admonitions of the GA's in the 90's, we are proud owners of like 20k lbs of something called "Hard winter wheat".

I'm in my 50's now. We don't own a grinder. And the name "hard winter wheat" scares me. Sounds like it would be tough on my crowns. Couldn't we have bought "soft winter" wheat? Not to mention the havoc that 100% wheat bread would wreck on my increasingly sensitive digestive system.

"For sale: Mormon apocalypse wheat starter Kit"

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:59 pm

JustHangingOn@57 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:17 pm
Thanks to DW heeding the admonitions of the GA's in the 90's, we are proud owners of like 20k lbs of something called "Hard winter wheat".

I'm in my 50's now. We don't own a grinder. And the name "hard winter wheat" scares me. Sounds like it would be tough on my crowns. Couldn't we have bought "soft winter" wheat? Not to mention the havoc that 100% wheat bread would wreck on my increasingly sensitive digestive system.

Sounds like you need to go find a TBM/prepper board and offer to barter that stuff. Maybe you could get a really nice bunker out of the trade?

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:29 pm

moksha wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:45 pm
I think it was Heber J. Nostradamus who predicted in 1913:
"There shall be more nude clogging in the Temple and yea our prayers for moisture shall be answered to signal the arrival of the second coming."
Yes, but it was the prophet William Butler Yeats that proposed these two portents for the second coming:

1. The best will lack all conviction.
2. The worst shall be full of passionate intensity.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:56 am

JustHangingOn@57 wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:17 pm
Or you could buy a grinder, you know, just in case ;)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

okay75

Post by okay75 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:12 am

Can't tell you how many times I have heard, "We don't need to worry about running out of resources because God planned enough for man until the second coming." I generally maintain myself within their logic and retort that faith without works is dead and God will let natural consequences follow for our wasting resources. Its kind of scary that false beliefs can have such a potentially devastating effect on the future of mankind.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:57 am

okay75 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:12 am
Can't tell you how many times I have heard, "We don't need to worry about running out of resources because God planned enough for man until the second coming." I generally maintain myself within their logic and retort that faith without works is dead and God will let natural consequences follow for our wasting resources. Its kind of scary that false beliefs can have such a potentially devastating effect on the future of mankind.
I have had friends who thought that anti-pollution programs were useless because Jesus would fix all of that when he returned soon. They were not worried about the state of the environment that they lived in as a result.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:36 am

Corsair wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:57 am
okay75 wrote:
I have had friends who thought that anti-pollution programs were useless because Jesus would fix all of that when he returned soon. They were not worried about the state of the environment that they lived in as a result.
Me too. He said even if global warming is happening that’s its part of the plan for the second coming. Because Jesus is going to burn the earth.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:14 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:57 am
okay75 wrote:
Me too. He said even if global warming is happening that’s its part of the plan for the second coming. Because Jesus is going to burn the earth.
There is a D&C section about the law of consecration that says "for the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare" that I used to use to not worry about environmental issues or overpopulation.

BlackMormon

Post by BlackMormon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:06 pm

Warning people of impending doom tends to reactivate them and get more flow of cash to the top, as people "fear" being damned for not following the rules.

There are numerous errors in religion, including ours. First and foremost, NOBODY in Israel refers to Jesus as Jesus, except for English-speaking Christians.

The world seems to be headed for a possible apocalypse just like it was during the Cold War where we almost self-destructed. We have adopted a lot of Babylonian practices and the world worships the light bearer. There is no date for the Second Coming, but there are strong signs and indicators that the tribulations are starting.
Last edited by BlackMormon on Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:10 pm

BlackMormon wrote:Apocalypse and Second Coming are two different events. One happens after the other. But, in most money-based religions, warning people of impending doom tends to reactivate them and get more flow of cash to the top, as people "fear" being damned for not following the rules.
There are numerous errors in religion, including ours. First and foremost, NOBODY in Israel refers to Jesus as Jesus.

His name is Yeshu or Yeshua. So all this talk about Second Coming of Jesus should be Second Coming of Yeshua, the Messiah. And the Church's name, The Church Of Yeshua HaMashiach Of Latter-Saints. Now we have this mess of people in different countries having a different sounding name for Yeshua! Anyone in any country can say Yeshua. It's not a hard word to pronounce.

But I digress... The world seems to be headed for a possible apocalypse just like it was during the Cold War where we almost self-destructed. We have adopted a lot of Babylonian practices and the world worships the light bearer.
I'm curious what your metrics are for determining we are on course for an impending apocalypse. From reading the long term trends in multiple metrics, we have never lived in a more peaceful prosperous time.
www.ourworldindata.org

BlackMormon

Post by BlackMormon » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:24 pm

Hi. I edited my post a little for clarity and to stay on topic.
I think that society seems to be more pagan than ever before. I also think that nuclear war is a big threat. This whole attrition with Russia can be scary. Putin already put out a video about undetectable intercontinental missiles hitting us. I think the "metrics" can be found in the words of
2 Timothy 3

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:18 am

BlackMormon wrote:Hi. I edited my post a little for clarity and to stay on topic.
I think that society seems to be more pagan than ever before. I also think that nuclear war is a big threat. This whole attrition with Russia can be scary. Putin already put out a video about undetectable intercontinental missiles hitting us. I think the "metrics" can be found in the words of
2 Timothy 3
That's cool, I don't put stock in the writings of new testament prophecy anymore, but don't cast any disrespect for anyone that does. I don't think Russia has anything to gain by ending the world. MAD is still in effect and Putin has had to ramp up the arms race propaganda because of our advancements in missile shield tech to restore balance, but it's all bullshit. He has to look like he's doing something to retain domestic power at home.