New Elder's Quorum Leadership Mix

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Linked

New Elder's Quorum Leadership Mix

Post by Linked » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:50 pm

My mom and dad called me last night excited to tell me that my dad is in the new Elder's quorum presidency. I thought it was interesting they would put a septuagenarian in the new Elder's quorum presidency, though I really didn't know what to expect. The Elder's quorum presidency seems to have historically been a way to rise through the ranks of the church, so I figured there would be a lot of "rising stars"; but there would need to be a bone thrown to the older guys. That's basically what you see in my Dad's quorum. His presidency consists of:

President: Younger (30s)
1st Counselor: Older (70s)
2nd Counselor: Younger (late 30s)

What have you guys seen?
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

slavereeno

Re: New Elder's Quorum Leadership Mix

Post by slavereeno » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:13 pm

ours is as follows

President: (former HP, 50s)
1 Coun: (former elder 40s)
2 Coun: (former elder just turned 40)

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:50 pm

Pres - mid 40’s. Elder (former exec. sec)
1st - late 40s. HP (former BP)
2nd - mid 60’s. HP (former BP’ric)
Sec - late 20’s. Elder

Weird mix, but ya’ know.... revelation.

Better them than me.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:52 pm

Pres - mid 30s, former EQ Pres
1st - late 40s, former HP GL
2nd - mid 30s, former EQ 1st Counselor

My leadership stayed effectively the same. I am fairly certain that the men in place are devout and will do their best. But I'm also fairly certain that they were a little bit disappointed by staying in leadership. Last Sunday they were trying to sit in the back of opening exercises assuming they were already released. But yesterday they were put back in the leadership hot seat.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:58 pm

Most of the wards in our stake don't have EQP's in place yet. Just synced this morning to check and see how it shook out, and there is only one ward that I saw in the stake that had them in the computer. The EQP in our ward was only in place for 4 months when they were released anyway, since they released this particular heathen late last year.

Bremguy

Post by Bremguy » Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:49 pm

From my ward:

President -- Late 60's, former HP Group Leader
1st -- early 30, part of eq pres released
2nd -- Early 80's, former HP 1st Assistant
Sec -- not yet called ( I was the HP Group Secretary before being released )

I am thankful I wasn't called to any of the new positions. I just hope I am not called to anything from now on.
It would be a perfect way to just fade away into the darkness. I still believe in God, I always have and always will.
But it is increasingly hard for me to see how either God or Jesus is in charge of the Church. All is see are white collared professionals
trying to run a church, when they should be running a business some place. Where are the dreamers, the theologians, the outcasts, the salt of the earth types ? They are far and few between in the leadership.
Live Long and Prosper

JustHangingOn@57

Post by JustHangingOn@57 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:19 pm

President: mid. 40, HP released from serving in the YM.
1st: late 40's (previous EQ pres)
2nd: early 50's, ( prev HP group leader)

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 am

I have no idea.

I better find out so I know what phone numbers to not answer!!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:01 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 am
I have no idea.

I was thinking the same thing! The previous EQP just recently stopped calling me.
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:27 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:20 am
I have no idea.

I thought the same thing (don't know, don't care) but this thread was a bad influence on me and I signed in to that one website to find out.

Just like almost all the others: Two elder-type dudes, and one high-priest-type dude. (Two "younger", one "older".)

I live in a part of the mor-cor where there's still enough shuffling of ward boundaries that I don't know any of these guys. If they show up on the doorstep and I answer the door, I hope they don't have too bad of a time. Hopefully I can tell them that I've been "ministering" with other apostates and open-minded mormons in the neighborhood for years. Go ahead and put me down for 100% ministering for these 2-4 families until mormon jesus comes back, never ask me if I've done my ministering, never ask them if they've been ministered to, I really will tell you if they need anything from the giant real-estate corporation masquerading as a church, and... Go away and never attempt to visit me or my family.

I'd like to do all of the above politely, but I'm a complete social reject, and I have a really hard time suppressing the reject part when someone is making veiled attempts to fix me.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but this looks like an attempt by leadership to steady the boat or stem the bleeding, if you like.

I'm guessing the majority of members leaving the church are in the under 50 group? If so, having the steadying influence of the "blind faith" generation, who as a general rule don't indulge in a serious look at uncorrelated material, might have the effect of minimizing the damage of "anti-mormon" information on younger testimonies.

They may be a bit dull at times but the church might be relying on these older, less inquisitive, more compliant men to hold the line for them. Puting lots of fingers in the dike so to speak.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 pm

Palerider wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:00 pm
Don't know if this has already been mentioned but this looks like an attempt by leadership to steady the boat or stem the bleeding, if you like.

I'm guessing the majority of members leaving the church are in the under 50 group? If so, having the steadying influence of the "blind faith" generation, who as a general rule don't indulge in a serious look at uncorrelated material, might have the effect of minimizing the damage of "anti-mormon" information on younger testimonies.

They may be a bit dull at times but the church might be relying on these older, less inquisitive, more compliant men to hold the line for them. Puting lots of fingers in the dike so to speak.
I think this is the intent, but I'm not certain it won't backfire - particularly since so many of the things those older men were taught were "anti-mormon lies" are now published on lds.org.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:15 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 pm

I think this is the intent, but I'm not certain it won't backfire - particularly since so many of the things those older men were taught were "anti-mormon lies" are now published on lds.org.
I agree. Younger generations might give them continued respect while in the church buildings but once they go home they will follow the truth wherever it leads them and quietly slip away.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:18 pm

Palerider wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:15 pm
IT_Veteran wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:02 pm

I agree. Younger generations might give them continued respect while in the church buildings but once they go home they will follow the truth wherever it leads them and quietly slip away.
Sorry, what I meant is that not only will the younger generation be pushed out by continued obstinance from the older group, but you may start to lose some of the older group when they realize the church has changed their doctrine and the history they acknowledge.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:21 pm

Hard to say....

Some older people are open to new knowledge and others just stay in a very deep rut that they have grown comfortable with.

Kind of like those people I remember in the mission field..."My grandfather was Catholic, my father was Catholic and I'll always be a Catholic....."

Right....o.k. moving on.

Mormons like to think they're really different from other people and open to truth because they have been taught that they're in the only true church which only the "special people" recognize. In reality they are pretty similar to everyone else in sticking with tradition.

George Washington