Why I love the essays

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
GoodBoy

Re: Why I love the essays

Post by GoodBoy » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:05 pm

And Hagoth did an amazing job of annotating them!
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

shadow

Post by shadow » Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:18 pm

Palerider wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:06 pm
Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:41 am
slavereeno wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:36 pm

Here you go, he's uh.. Happier? in this one?
Nope. I'm looking at his eyes. His mouth and lines show smile, but his eyes, way in there, don't.

This smile is shallow and hollow. Its a carefully worn mask...

You can contort your face, but the eyes are the hardest part to mask what lies beneath.

I don't know.......he might be kind of happy, but not from his way of life. I think what we have captured here is a man caught up in laughing at his own jokes. Of course the audience is obligated to laugh....... ;)
Wrong. He's happy with his way of life.
wtfluff wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:11 pm
Corsair wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:06 am
Am I missing anything? Does this accurately rank "angel with a drawn sword" within the hierarchy of LDS restoration?
As others have mentioned... If the angel has to show up with a weapon and threaten people with it, polygamy might actually be The. Most. Important Doctrine... Ever.
He's happy with his life because, finally, we have another polygamist prophet. He did it. Granted, it's just spiritual polygamy, but he was really happy to let us know in the talk where this picture was taken that he is sealed to two women.
"Healing is impossible in loneliness; it is the opposite of loneliness. Conviviality is healing. To be healed we must come with all the other creates to the feast of Creation." --Wendell Berry

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:01 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:11 pm
As others have mentioned... If the angel has to show up with a weapon and threaten people with it, polygamy might actually be The. Most. Important Doctrine... Ever.
Wonder if dream psychologist Carl Jung might have interpreted the Angel as being Joseph's own libido and the "drawn/flaming sword" as being Joseph's you know what? That might have shifted the meaning from one of doctrine into being a symptom of satyriasis.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:54 pm

WholesomeRecreation wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:16 am
However, while they are a good start, they still aren't complete. What about the temple & masonry for example. The apologists agree that masonry comes from the 1200's/Scotland (if I remember correctly) and not the ancient times passed down from Adam.
First of all, welcome to NOM!

Secondly, that's the essay I've been hoping for. I doubt, however, that we will see any more essays. They do too a good job of showing how terrible the the official answers really are.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:24 pm

shadow wrote:
Wed Apr 18, 2018 4:18 pm

He's happy with his life because, finally, we have another polygamist prophet. He did it. Granted, it's just spiritual polygamy, but he was really happy to let us know in the talk where this picture was taken that he is sealed to two women.
What's that they say....?? "Wickedness never was happiness...??"

Of course I'm not saying he's wicked...but the "principle" of plural marriage is certainly much less than desirable.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:11 am

The essays a very, very sloowwly being assimilated into the general membership. I wish LDS were more curious and open-minded, but they aren't. :o I appreciate Hagoth's annotated essays. they are very helpful, and I took the liberty of copying them. I hope that's OK. If you want me to send some $, I wouldn't mind in the least.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Tue May 01, 2018 1:07 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:11 am
The essays a very, very sloowwly being assimilated into the general membership. I wish LDS were more curious and open-minded, but they aren't. :o I appreciate Hagoth's annotated essays. they are very helpful, and I took the liberty of copying them. I hope that's OK. If you want me to send some $, I wouldn't mind in the least.
Is there a way we can pin the annotated essays or their link to the front page?
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 01, 2018 2:43 pm

deacon blues wrote:
If you want me to send some $, I wouldn't mind in the least.
Hell no. But I do update them from time to time, so make sure you have the latest versions.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Thu May 03, 2018 9:12 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:55 pm
Moksha, your picture here is actually sad. Look at their faces! They look tired, angry, and worn.

I hope they think all the adoration is worth it....
These are guys who traded every weekend of their lives for adoration. Can you imagine spending the rest of your life in Stake Conference? Kill me.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu May 03, 2018 6:29 pm

Yobispo wrote:
Thu May 03, 2018 9:12 am
Rob4Hope wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:55 pm
Moksha, your picture here is actually sad. Look at their faces! They look tired, angry, and worn.

I hope they think all the adoration is worth it....
These are guys who traded every weekend of their lives for adoration. Can you imagine spending the rest of your life in Stake Conference? Kill me.
I have wondered about their motives over and over. I do know, for example, that until I was 45 years old, I had no idea that I was in a false narrative. I was controlled COMPLETELY by correlation. I believe there is a possibility, though small, that these men ALSO believe completely in the narrative. But I don't know how they stay in that paradigm...

Kalikala

Post by Kalikala » Tue May 08, 2018 12:16 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 2:43 pm
deacon blues wrote:
If you want me to send some $, I wouldn't mind in the least.
Hell no. But I do update them from time to time, so make sure you have the latest versions.
Where can I find these? I’m intrigued.
"The opposite of Faith is not Doubt, it's Certainty." ~ Anne Lamott

Love More.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue May 08, 2018 9:19 am

Kalikala wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 12:16 am
Where can I find these? I’m intrigued.
Book of Abraham: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Logow ... 0qOhleGrdc
Kirtland and Nauvoo Polygamy: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vd_nk ... e15eAF2Fxc
Book of Mormon Translation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1jv0pF ... MwXtLW3dkM
Book of Mormon and DNA: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1tz7y7 ... IXJOfV_Mis

My personal favorite is the one about Book of Mormon DNA but I think it's the least read. It's very long and detailed. Here's a very brief summary: the essay provides absolutely NO evidence in favor of the BoM but makes a lot of lame excuses for why there is no evidence. On the other hand, massive evidence against. Enjoy.

Kalikala

Post by Kalikala » Tue May 08, 2018 11:24 am

Thanks Hagoth!
"The opposite of Faith is not Doubt, it's Certainty." ~ Anne Lamott

Love More.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Tue May 08, 2018 12:37 pm

Hey, can I ride your tapir bro?
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed May 09, 2018 6:55 am

I can't find the other thread where I was posting some typos...
Polygamy essay, page 6 seems to be missing an "Is"
this really how God does things,
Absolutely loving your annotations Hagoth...

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed May 09, 2018 6:58 am

Polygamy Pg, 6
Let’s step back and consider the events of the restauration that were so important
Did you intend to use an older spelling of Restoration?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed May 09, 2018 7:19 am

Thanks again, Slavereeno. I could have sworn those words were speld curectlee. What do you charge for editor fees?

EDIT: I misspelled Slavereeno!

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed May 09, 2018 7:51 am

Polygamy Essay Pg. 6/7

Soapbox thought: according to mormon doctrine, wasn't the war in heaven about agency? Wasn't it stan's plan to force people to obey? So does God occasionally whip out Stan's plan when it comes to prophetic sex with teenagers?

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed May 09, 2018 7:52 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:19 am
What do you charge for editor fees?
Sanity from the Mormon hell I live day to day which your essays are providing today. :D

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Wed May 09, 2018 9:55 am

Some of this polygamy essay reads like a logic puzzle you may find on an exam.

Zina Jacobs was married to a man, she and the man had a child together, when that man was on a mission, she was married to the first prophet, after the first prophet died, she married the second prophet, after the judgement day who's wife will Zina Jacobs be?

a) The first man she married
b) The first prophet
c) the second prophet
d) none of thee above