Brother Jake Defends the Book of Mormon, Part 3

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Corsair

Brother Jake Defends the Book of Mormon, Part 3

Post by Corsair » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:18 am

Brother Jake Defends the Book of Mormon, Part 3 was just released today. It's another fantastic discussion of the soft apologetics of the Book of Mormon in a way that will be hilarious to an apostate and confusing to a believer.

Linked

Re: Brother Jake Defends the Book of Mormon, Part 3

Post by Linked » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:52 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:16 pm
Forgive me for my politically incorrect question/observation and total hijack of this thread but why are 90% of LDS guys total beta males like this Jake fellow? 75% of the guys in my ward look like they would lose a fight to an emaciated Peewee Herman.
What's a beta male? I've only seen the term a couple times, and it seemed pretty condescending.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:14 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Forgive me for my politically incorrect question/observation and total hijack of this thread but why are 90% of LDS guys total beta males like this Jake fellow? 75% of the guys in my ward look like they would lose a fight to an emaciated Peewee Herman.
I take it your new to brother jake?
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:52 pm

Haha! Loved it!!

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:45 am

Blashyrkh wrote:
Forgive me for my politically incorrect question/observation and total hijack of this thread but why are 90% of LDS guys total beta males like this Jake fellow?
The photo offered is simply to confuse the adversary. The real Brother Jake looks more like Captain Moroni with an emblazoned shield of red, white, and blue, plus a more contemporaneous BYU-acceptable haircut. He is a Youtuber among Youtubers.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:11 am

I love his videos... although they also make me so mad because it's so obvious when you watch the videos what an absolute fraud the church is, and yet my wife would *murder* me if I tried to show her this.

Maybe someday we'll be able to sit down, watch this, and laugh... but I highly, highly doubt it.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:42 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
I have met Jake Frost in real life. He uses his mission picture for the video and he barely looks like that any longer with his epic beard and shaved head. He has done video of himself for some of his videos, but he said he stopped doing it because he did not want to keep looking like that guy.

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:24 am

jfro18 wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:11 am
I love his videos... although they also make me so mad because it's so obvious when you watch the videos what an absolute fraud the church is, and yet my wife would *murder* me if I tried to show her this.

Maybe someday we'll be able to sit down, watch this, and laugh... but I highly, highly doubt it.
Start with a "softer" one, like modesty. I've shared it with several tbm women and they've all chuckled and admitted hes right...
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?