Does anyone have examples of a GA being a bully?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Re: Does anyone have examples of a GA being a bully?

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri May 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Oh yeh...big one. Boyd Packer and his witch hunt for the September 6....

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri May 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Lavina Anderson's Dialogue article is great for this:

https://dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/ ... N01_23.pdf

It chronicles 133 cases of ecclesiastical abuse against intellectuals, which she had been collecting information about for some time. Many (most?) actions were directed from Salt Lake. Lavina Anderson was excommunicated with the September Six in 1993, probably for this article, but her stake president never told her what she had done that constituted apostasy.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri May 11, 2018 6:50 pm

Reuben wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:16 pm

It chronicles 133 cases of ecclesiastical abuse against intellectuals, which she had been collecting information about for some time. Many (most?) actions were directed from Salt Lake. Lavina Anderson was excommunicated with the September Six in 1993, probably for this article, but her stake president never told her what she had done that constituted apostasy.
Reuben,...I got out on Dialogue and read a portion of that article. It was pretty damning stuff. The church had to go after Lavina: she exposed institutional teachings and policies that covered up problems, including crime.

It would be nice to see some pod-casts with her. I might have to get out there and look around.....

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon May 14, 2018 4:21 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 6:50 pm
Reuben wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Reuben,...I got out on Dialogue and read a portion of that article. It was pretty damning stuff. The church had to go after Lavina: she exposed institutional teachings and policies that covered up problems, including crime.

It would be nice to see some pod-casts with her. I might have to get out there and look around.....
Reading through portions of it now. The fight against the ERA looks stunningly similar to some of the tactics used for the Prop 8 fight.

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Mon May 14, 2018 5:12 pm

IT_Veteran wrote: Reading through portions of it now. The fight against the ERA looks stunningly similar to some of the tactics used for the Prop 8 fight.
The tactics didn't just spring into being for Prop 8. These are things the church has been practicing for a long time. The thing that surprised the church for Prop 8 was that people were paying attention and they got caught, both in public backlash and legal issues. That were completely unprepared for that. They haven't returned to those tactics again. Medical marijuana in Utah would be their next big chance for it but so far they're restraining themselves and trying different tactics.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue May 15, 2018 7:28 am

Jeffret wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:12 pm
IT_Veteran wrote: Reading through portions of it now. The fight against the ERA looks stunningly similar to some of the tactics used for the Prop 8 fight.
The tactics didn't just spring into being for Prop 8. These are things the church has been practicing for a long time. The thing that surprised the church for Prop 8 was that people were paying attention and they got caught, both in public backlash and legal issues. That were completely unprepared for that. They haven't returned to those tactics again. Medical marijuana in Utah would be their next big chance for it but so far they're restraining themselves and trying different tactics.
OH...don't get me started on medical marijuana....

You know, you have this church decrying coffee and tea,...they even came out and said caffeine,...and Diet Mr. Pib...and energy drinks just fly under the radar. This was one of the things that damaged my testimony and created a big crack in the shelf.

But, that is off topic.

alas

Post by alas » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:40 am

Might be easier to discuss which apostles were not bullies. David o MacKay?

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:59 am

alas wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:40 am
Might be easier to discuss which apostles were not bullies. David o MacKay?
Neal A. Maxwell?
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Aug 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Blashyrkh wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:25 am
So D.A. Bednar now has an Instagram page. His first post has him standing arms crossed facing a young girl while she is standing, back towards the camera. One post asked what was happening in the picture. Being the sarcast that I am I replied "Why that is Bednar scolding the girl for standing up before him without his holy permission." My post was deleted and my IG account "was reported for bullying/harassment" and has been temporarily suspended.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
~2bizE

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:14 am

I'm about two thirds of the way through the Dialogue article that Reuben referenced. Wow. This gerrymandering, bullying or what ever you want to call it has been going on a long time- probably from the beginning of the Mormon church.

The brethren like to put people in their place. How unlike the 13th article of faith. Throw them under the closest bus or train if they don't do as we the brethren say was the theme of that excellent article.

Another article referenced in Reuben's was also in Dialogue, "Book of Mormon Stories that my Teacher Kept from Me". Neal Chandler

https://mormonarts.lib.byu.edu/works/bo ... t-from-me/

Interesting stuff. "and in doing good to all men"....not!
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

sunstoned

Post by sunstoned » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:04 pm

McConkie publically humiliating George Pace at a BYU devotional
This is one sad story of how an arrogant, Mormon royalty privileged jerk pretty much ruined a faithful member's career.