LDS website: In a rare instance of polyandry...

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Not Buying It

LDS website: In a rare instance of polyandry...

Post by Not Buying It » Sat May 12, 2018 10:36 pm

See, this here LDS website will make you all feel better about Joseph Smith’s polyandrous marriages:

https://history.lds.org/article/relief- ... g?lang=eng
In a rare instance of polyandry, Zina remained married to Henry Jacobs after being sealed to Joseph Smith. After Joseph's death, she married Brigham Young for time and went west with the Saints. Henry lived in California for several years, not coming to Utah until 1880. After Zina arrived in Utah in 1848, she lived as Brigham Young’s wife, eventually bearing a daughter, Zina Prescindia Young
Hells yeah it was rare, Joseph only had polyandrous relationships with 11 women. Only 11 freakin’ women. Very, very rarely did he marry someone who was already married to someone else. Take that you apostates, he hardly ever did it, it’s no big deal. “Give Joseph a break”.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

moksha

Re: LDS website: In a rare instance of polyandry...

Post by moksha » Sun May 13, 2018 12:07 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:36 pm
In a rare instance of polyandry, ...
Hells yeah it was rare, Joseph only had polyandrous relationships with 11 women.
The Church simply wants to minimize the number of commandments broken via Joseph's polygamy. Can you blame them? It is becoming increasingly difficult to sell people on the idea of becoming or even staying a Mormon.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun May 13, 2018 9:19 am

"But Bishop, it was only a rare instance of polyandry when I ran off to Vegas with that woman."

One unintentional underlying message of the Gospel Topic Essays is "Do as we say, not as we do." It does not confirm a core set of divine principles that were diligently followed. Instead, it looks like a group of indulgent men flailing about in this frontier, restorationist, polygamy cult. I suspect that many modern LDS leaders inwardly sigh and wish that Joseph Smith had been more like Benedict of Nursia rather than Warren Jeffs.

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Mon May 14, 2018 8:47 am

I suppose, if good hearted Henry was still legally married to Zina all that time, then Brigham was also into polyandry.

Anyone know if Henry divorced her?
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon May 14, 2018 10:49 am

No Tof wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:47 am
I suppose, if good hearted Henry was still legally married to Zina all that time, then Brigham was also into polyandry.

Anyone know if Henry divorced her?
We don't have a clear record that Henry divorced Zina. But, the story of Henry Jacobs is infuriating and heartbreaking. Henry was married to Zina Diantha Huntington and seems like a tragic case of collateral damage of polyandry. Henry is the guy that kept getting sent on missions while his Zina got sealed to Joseph and later Brigham. Henry and Zina seem like strong believers in Joseph Smith as prophet and in the principle of plural marriage. They lived their beliefs and it cause much emotional distress in Henry.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon May 14, 2018 5:14 pm

I think Brigham would have said Henry didn't need to divorce Zina. He taught more than once that a woman could legally marry a man with higher priesthood without divorcing the lower-priesthood husband. I don't remember whether this meant that the first marriage was nullified, but I think it did.

Can't be arsed to find a source at the moment.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

BlackMormon

Post by BlackMormon » Mon May 14, 2018 6:25 pm

They have to gradually water things down, mingled with some truth, to slowly deviate from those points of history that have shackled the faith since its inception. Lawyers advice, slowly molding everything so that a few years from now, new generations won't even know that polyandry or polygamy were CORE doctrines.

Mormonism is recreating itself, one little piece at a time.