Incredible Message for Native Americans!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
didyoumythme

Incredible Message for Native Americans!

Post by didyoumythme » Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm

Plot Twist! Native Americans are still all direct descendants of Lehi! Watch the new video released by the LDS church.

"..share [those truths] with the descendants of the people of the book of Mormon."

"...particularly to the Native American youth, find out what great promises there are for you in the Book of Mormon."

http://www.ldsliving.com/Watch-Church-S ... rs/s/88469

"The evidence assembled to date suggests that the majority of Native Americans carry largely Asian DNA." - DNA Essay

This kind of overt dishonesty pushes me away faster than anything. On the one hand, the church relies heavily on apologists to share their theories about limited geography, cultural assimilation, etc. to uphold the traditional narrative. In public however, they continue to share crap like this as if nothing has been learned over the last 200 years.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

GoodBoy

Re: Incredible Message for Native Americans!

Post by GoodBoy » Mon May 14, 2018 6:19 pm

This is what happens when they deliberately hide the essays and discourage people from talking about them and don't include this information in lessons... some people still believe that Native Americans were from Lehi.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon May 14, 2018 8:40 pm

And this is why I can say without any compunction that the church taught Adam-God theory as doctrine and if the average member had disagreed with Brigham, they would have faced church discipline or worse.

The fact that the church now disavows A-G theory is a sign that Brigham was a false prophet and had indeed led the church astray.

You see, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. LDS leadership can't cherry pick which false teachings they want to promote and which they want to get rid of. It's an all or nothing deal.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Mon May 14, 2018 9:31 pm

didyoumythme wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 5:48 pm
This kind of overt dishonesty pushes me away faster than anything.
Yep.

And it’s like the church is giving me the middle finger at the same time saying, ”We have your wife, your kids, your extended family, your friends and your money, and you can’t do $hit about it because we won’t let them think for themselves.”

The church can talk out of both sides of their mouth concurrently and the TBMs in my life won’t even bat an eye. They won’t even consider that the church is being dishonest.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon May 14, 2018 10:55 pm

didyoumythme wrote:
"...particularly to the Native American youth, find out what great promises there are for you in the Book of Mormon."
Seriously, what "great" promises do they think are in the pages of the Book of Mormon? Is it salvation through Jesus Christ? Isn't that pretty much the Bible? Isn't that pretty much what everyone of any descent gets? Isn't that what all of my white, European ancestors that conquered North and South America also get? Is there something actually special for Native Americans? Are there some super powers I don't know about? I've read the Book of Mormon a couple dozen times (like most of you, I suspect). I'm really not impressed by any new doctrine in it.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue May 15, 2018 7:23 am

Corsair wrote:
didyoumythme wrote:
Seriously, what "great" promises do they think are in the pages of the Book of Mormon? Is it salvation through Jesus Christ? Isn't that pretty much the Bible? Isn't that pretty much what everyone of any descent gets? Isn't that what all of my white, European ancestors that conquered North and South America also get? Is there something actually special for Native Americans? Are there some super powers I don't know about? I've read the Book of Mormon a couple dozen times (like most of you, I suspect). I'm really not impressed by any new doctrine in it.
They are promised that they get to slaughter the white man to establish the New Jerusalem. Treadeth down and teareth them in pieces. What good native american descendant would reject that kind of opportunity?

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 am

This video is insulting on so many levels.

It also further proves that the new wave of apologists that keep saying to stay in the church because they will 'come around' to the reality of their history are full of it. This church is going to continue to lie, deflect, and gaslight until the bitter end.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue May 15, 2018 2:44 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 7:32 am

It also further proves that the new wave of apologists that keep saying to stay in the church because they will 'come around' to the reality of their history are full of it. This church is going to continue to lie, deflect, and gaslight until the bitter end.
Amen...no....A-Effin-Men!

Cadahangel

Post by Cadahangel » Tue May 15, 2018 2:56 pm

It's almost a satire at this point. The history dept of the church knows they can get away with anything they want because most won't research what they believe. They get everybody so busy with callings tithing etc. They don't have time to critically think about what's going on.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue May 15, 2018 4:16 pm

Holy crap! Wow! Really!?

I continue to be surprised and appalled at all the corners they keep painting themselves into, then paint some more to make them even smaller. I mean, the COB obviously knows it can't tell Native Americans they are the primary ancestors of the tribe of Joseph or any other Jew; do they really think they can still keep preaching the promised people crap to those people based on "among"!? Even "among" is a big stretch. Instead of just backing off the controversial topics and watering them down they just keep at it. Even if most of the general membership will never read essays, doing things like this just keep giving more ammo to NOMs and NoMos and AntiMos.

The list of issues get's longer every day and they just keep sticking their necks out there! I'm beginning to think there really is a significant degree of ignorance at the COB; it just doesn't seem like they are playing as smart as they could be.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 pm

While the video was to remind the Native American people of the promises made to them in the Book of Mormon, it was only referring to the undetectable fraction of their genetic lineage that was derived from the Jewish residents of the four-block area in the Yucatan known as the Limited Hemispheric Geographical Model neighborhood. It was a shout out to the LHGM homie in them.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed May 16, 2018 3:51 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 4:16 pm
Even if most of the general membership will never read essays,...
And that my friend is the bottom line....

Not only does the general membership not read the essays, THEY DONT READ MUCH OF ANYTHING!!!

I once was a professional school teacher during the home-school craze of the 90s. I remember looking at some statistics which back then just floored me. If anyone has something more contemporary, I would be interested (but at the moment it's just not compelling)...

Anyway,...the stat was that of those who are no longer in school, the average person will read less than a book a year, and some less than a book the rest of their life. And illiteracy is growing fast folks....FAST.

Our stupid cell-phone texts are what matter, or our little news blips. We think when we know what the mass media chooses to sensationalize, and we know a few of the "hot topics" out there, that we are educated and "well informed". We are such easy prey...

The memory of the typical US adult is so short that even large topics are forgotten, some less than a year after they happen. Is the TBM any different?...not even remotely. Sure, they may have read the Book of Mormon, but do they read other books?

No one is doing that save a few of us, who skew the results for the rest of the population. That is what the stats say, and I think there is some truth in them.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed May 16, 2018 6:13 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 10:18 pm
While the video was to remind the Native American people of the promises made to them in the Book of Mormon, it was only referring to the undetectable fraction of their genetic lineage that was derived from the Jewish residents of the four-block area in the Yucatan known as the Limited Hemispheric Geographical Model neighborhood. It was a shout out to the LHGM homie in them.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.