Church apologizes for Racism!

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
oliblish

Church apologizes for Racism!

Post by oliblish » Thu May 17, 2018 8:53 am

Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Jeffret

Re: Church apologizes for Racism!

Post by Jeffret » Thu May 17, 2018 9:03 am

It's fake.

It goes to mormon-newroom, instead of the real mormonnewsroom.

It claims Fair Use (Parody), but I'm pretty confident it doesn't qualify for either. It's hard to see the parody in it. There's little chance Fair Use applies. I'm sure Kirton McKonkie will have something to say something about it, and they'll be absolutely correct.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 am

"Today, as Prophet, Seer and Revelator, and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I offer a full unqualified apology for the error of racism which was taught from this office and in the tabernacle and over the pulpits of our churches the world over. I am joined by my counselors in the First Presidency and the full Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in making this apology and we collectively bear witness and testimony of the devastating effects of racism which were perpetuated by leaders of the church in the past."
Wow this is pretty cool. But did this really happen?

Here is the official Mormon newsroom link to the meeting:
https://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/ ... leadership

...which differs from the link you provided Oliblish. Not calling you out or anything, but why is the transcript so different between the two URLs? I'm not finding the "apology" article on the mormonnewsroom.org page.

Edit: wrote as Jeffret posted his response.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 am

Yes it is a fake. But it is a really well done fake.

I guess we should have known that the church will never come out and do anything like that...
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 17, 2018 9:12 am

oliblish wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:06 am
Yes it is a fake. But it is a really well done fake.

I guess we should have known that the church will never come out and do anything like that...
The word "failure" gives it away. The church will never admit it's failures!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 am

I wanted to believe this so bad!!!!

Props to who ever wrote this though. It is exactly what the church should say and what should happen.

Maybe we could make it go viral and then the church would have to step up and say "Oh no! We AREN'T apologizing..." :twisted:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu May 17, 2018 9:33 am

Arcturus wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 am
"Today, as Prophet, Seer and Revelator, and President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, I offer a full unqualified apology for the error of racism which was taught from this office and in the tabernacle and over the pulpits of our churches the world over. I am joined by my counselors in the First Presidency and the full Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in making this apology and we collectively bear witness and testimony of the devastating effects of racism which were perpetuated by leaders of the church in the past."

...which differs from the link you provided Oliblish. Not calling you out or anything, but why is the transcript so different between the two URLs? I'm not finding the "apology" article on the mormonnewsroom.org page.

Why in the HELL do they have a pic of them laughing right next to the statement? What the actual f%@#????
WTF.png
WTF.png (117.49 KiB) Viewed 18430 times

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 am

MoPag wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:33 am
Arcturus wrote:

Why in the HELL do they have a pic of them laughing right next to the statement? What the actual f%@#????

WTF.png
So was that photo from the real site or from the hoax?

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Thu May 17, 2018 10:12 am

MoPag wrote:
HAHAHAHA! That is a great point. Maybe it's metaphorical of how the brethren feel about how people hoped they'd apologize.

"Oh, you thought we were going to apologize in this meeting, and you believed the fake news piece? (Laughter) Joke is on you!"
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu May 17, 2018 10:31 am

MoPag wrote:

WTF.png
It's probably the only photo in existence where one or more of them isn't scowling. ;)
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu May 17, 2018 11:01 am

oliblish wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:50 am
MoPag wrote:
Arcturus wrote:

WTF.png
So was that photo from the real site or from the hoax?
I pulled it from the official page. Looks like they took it down now. Good work COB spies!

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 am

They replaced the laughing pic with a link to a YouTube video of the whole thing.

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Thu May 17, 2018 11:38 am

Here’s what I don’t get. Why doesn’t the president of the NAACP call out Russ directly and say something like “Your second prophet said that the African race was inferior” (and then cite one of BYs horrific quotes). “How do you respond to BYs comments today? Do you believe he was speaking for God?”

Why all the platitudes? Why don’t they take this opportunity to make Russ squirm and cough up an actual apology for the church’s behavior?

Where are the teeth? Why allow the church to smile and slighly talk around the issue?

Seems so weak.

Unless the church is going to give the NAACP a wad of cash then it makes sense.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu May 17, 2018 11:48 am

MoPag wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 9:20 am

Props to who ever wrote this though. It is exactly what the church should say and what should happen.

Maybe we could make it go viral and then the church would have to step up and say "Oh no! We AREN'T apologizing..." :twisted:
I need to apologize for the remarks I made in this post.^ These remarks show my privilege as a white person. I didn't even stop to think how my TBM black brothers and sisters would feel about this fake apology. It is really hurting them. I am so sorry.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 17, 2018 12:58 pm

MoPag wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:48 am
MoPag wrote:

I need to apologize for the remarks I made in this post.^ These remarks show my privilege as a white person. I didn't even stop to think how my TBM black brothers and sisters would feel about this fake apology. It is really hurting them. I am so sorry.
I think you made a very good point, MoPag, especially poignant when you consider the disappointment of an African-descended member who reads it and then discovers that their all-white quorum of leaders would never consider making such an apology. I would love to hear them explain to those members why they can't apologize and repent. Especially since Africa is their new field that is "white and ready to harvest."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu May 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 12:58 pm
MoPag wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 11:48 am
MoPag wrote:

I think you made a very good point, MoPag, especially poignant when you consider the disappointment of an African-descended member who reads it and then discovers that their all-white quorum of leaders would never consider making such an apology. I would love to hear them explain to those members why they can't apologize and repent. Especially since Africa is their new field that is "white and ready to harvest."
You know what’s way more insensitive than the fake news release? That the Church needs to say the things that were said in the fake news release and won’t. Yes, the fake news release was insensitive and may have hurt our black brothers and sisters - but the Church hurt them more before 1978 and continues to hurt them more by their refusal to apologize and do what they can to try and make this right. Let’s not lose sight of what the real problem is here - that the Church needs to say these things and won’t.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Thu May 17, 2018 4:59 pm

This was a brilliant parody. How telling is it that an honest apology for racism is a parody? TBMs read this and feel ‘the spirit’ confirm that it is true revelation...then they realize it is the most compassionate fake news release they have ever read. They will feel the disappointment that the church is not saying these things and may start to wake up. Now the church has to explain why they haven’t even offered an apology or admitted it was wrong.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu May 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Let me get this straight.

Certain members are offended it was a hoax and they're mad at Jonathan Streeter rather than their own church who should morally do the right thing but won't?

Defend the church at ALL costs!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Thu May 17, 2018 6:37 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 5:37 pm
Let me get this straight.

Certain members are offended it was a hoax and they're mad at Jonathan Streeter rather than their own church who should morally do the right thing but won't?

Defend the church at ALL costs!
Wait where did you learn that Jonathan streeter did this?
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 17, 2018 7:28 pm

I feel bad for all the believers who heard that story and thanked God for giving the Brethren the wisdom to finally issue an apology. Satire is good but it is questionable when it dashes peoples hoped for wishes. They end up shaking their heads and saying it was too good to be true. At least the Church gives us lowered expectations.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha