Using truthful facts to deceive

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Reuben

Using truthful facts to deceive

Post by Reuben » Thu May 24, 2018 7:26 am

The word of the day is paltering, which means using truthful facts to deceive someone:

https://hbr.org/2016/10/theres-a-word-f ... -paltering

It's a generalization of deception by omission, in that paltering doesn't necessarily leave things out. If there's one anonymous allegation against someone, I can palter by saying "there's at least one anonymous allegation," giving the impression that there are multiple accusers and that I just don't want to give the number.

"Several months before her 15th birthday" is paltering. I haven't checked yet, but I have the impression that paltering is mostly what the essays do to mislead and deceive.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Corsair

Re: Using truthful facts to deceive

Post by Corsair » Thu May 24, 2018 7:40 am

I love how having the language to describe a problem is frequently needed before it can be addressed. "Paltering" is a great word.

alas

Post by alas » Thu May 24, 2018 11:41 am

It isn't lying, just carefully worded denials.

I agree, great word.

LSOF

Post by LSOF » Mon May 28, 2018 4:52 pm

My vocabulary has expanded by one word.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Tue May 29, 2018 1:27 pm

Interesting word alright- paltering....hmm

Words. Remember "Class Clown" by George Carlin? The seven words that you can't say on TV- it came out in the 70's when George Carlin was just getting his momentum of being one of the most original comics of his generation. I'm chuckling to myself as I write because, unlike a lot of you folks, I did not grow up in a religious family. Sure I was dunked in a pool of yucky water by someone I didn't know when I was a mere lad of eight- but I didn't have any more use for religion back in those days than having a mud dobber build a next on my thigh. Anyways, I had a record player- LPs back in those days- and I was really yucking it up- full belly laughs- listening to George Carlin's "Seven Words". I was laughing so hard I didn't hear my dear sweet mom walk down the hall and into my room. Oops- busted. (gasp) Except my mom was laughing. What? I'd turned off the record when she came in but she went over and turned it on again and we listened together. We had a great laugh together and I grew an appreciation for my mom I'd never had. Words.

Paltering. Never heard it before, but it is a damn fine word isn't it. Sort of like "trifling" but not quite. Fits right on the shelf next to moralizing and rationalizing though, I think. Slippery words for sure. We can moralize the sting out of anything if we are clever enough. And oh my, rationalizing- who can get by without a juicy rationalization or two or three a day? Not me. Paltering- I'll try to remember that one. My spell checker doesn't even recognize it...but what the cuss does the spell checker know anyhow? Good one Reuben. Many thanks for sharing.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Kalikala

Post by Kalikala » Tue May 29, 2018 1:49 pm

Reuben wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 7:26 am
"Several months before her 15th birthday" is paltering. I haven't checked yet, but I have the impression that paltering is mostly what the essays do to mislead and deceive.
Yes!! I was just complaining to my husband about this very quote today! Now I have a word to define what I was trying to express. Thank you!
"The opposite of Faith is not Doubt, it's Certainty." ~ Anne Lamott

Love More.