Alternate Universe

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
slavereeno

Alternate Universe

Post by slavereeno » Sun May 27, 2018 6:55 pm

Ok this one was good... My BIL (different one than I have talked about before) presented the idea that we are now all living in an alternate universe because of the experiments done at super-collider labs like CERN.

So he asks the question: During the second coming the lamb will lie down with the ________.

If you answered Lion, then you are asked to look at Isiah 11:6 where the prophesy is and there it will say the Lamb will lie down with the Wolf. This is used as evidence that the world is on an alternate path and his (conspiracy) theory says that things are going to continue to change.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FIL says all this proves that the internet is full of crazy nonsense theories, which, incidentally, would include anything against the church.

deacon blues

Re: Alternate Universe

Post by deacon blues » Mon May 28, 2018 8:56 am

Quote Revelations 5:5-6 to him. It tells us Jesus is both the Lion and the Lamb, at least that's how I understand it. Of course the Book of Revelations seems like its own alternate universe. :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Mon May 28, 2018 9:18 am

A lot of people genuinely believe in the Mandela effect. Some of the mis-remembered items that got me are:

1. The above verse
2. The Mr Rogers Theme Song. The lyrics are "It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood" but I swore up and down it was "the neighborhood."

Some that I never mistook are the following:

1. "No, I am your father." I actually find it hard to believe so many people believed this was "Luke, I am your father" because it sounds clumsy to me.
2. "We Are the Champions" is one of the most played out songs ever composed. Its last lyric is "Cause we are the champions" and not "of the world." I think this is just a common mistake because brains think in patterns and so the previous chorus just has people expecting it.

There are other examples, but they are so much more easily explained to me as misplaced memory. Human memory is an extremely faulty recording device. As most of us know, memories that feel real exist in pretty much every human mind. It's part of why I love books and films that explore the concept of identity and how it's related to memory.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Mon May 28, 2018 12:13 pm

slavereeno wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:55 pm
If you answered Lion, then you are asked to look at Isiah 11:6 where the prophesy is and there it will say the Lamb will lie down with the Wolf. This is used as evidence that the world is on an alternate path and his (conspiracy) theory says that things are going to continue to change.
Wow... The things people believe with zero evidence continues to amaze me.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Thu May 31, 2018 11:00 am

Actually an infinite number of alternate universes are spun off of the space-time track "we" are on, every nanosecond or so. An infinity of infinities of alternate universes weaves in and around our space-time continuum at any given moment.

In one of those alternate universes, the Lamb shall lie down with Frank.

Bwa hahahahahahahaha
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Thu May 31, 2018 12:12 pm

Archimedes wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:00 am
In one of those alternate universes, the Lamb shall lie down with Frank.
This part of the theory is feasible, but I would think in that universe we would remember it that way as well.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu May 31, 2018 12:43 pm

I'm waiting for the day when Book of Mormon apologists are backed into such a tight corner that they start suggesting that the BoM is true but that it happened in the ancient Americas of an earth in a parallel universe, and that Moroni wormholes the gold plates into our universe because the Joseph Smith in his universe wasn't quite up to snuff. Or somethin'.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Brent

Post by Brent » Thu May 31, 2018 12:57 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:43 pm
I'm waiting for the day when Book of Mormon apologists are backed into such a tight corner that they start suggesting that the BoM is true but that it happened in the ancient Americas of an earth in a parallel universe, and that Moroni wormholes the gold plates into our universe because the Joseph Smith in his universe wasn't quite up to snuff. Or somethin'.
That would require full-on faith (by LDS definition belief in things unseen). Latter-day Saints come up a tad short in that department, they ARE looking for (and inventing/twisting) evidence. They want PROOF. Imagine a world where FAIRMormon made an announcement that there never was evidence, is no evidence and will never be any evidence. LDS arguments almost always include some pseudoscience as "proof"--the faith inspiring science thing.

I would pay money to see ANYONE in authority from Bishop on up say, "There is no evidence. Never was. Never will be."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu May 31, 2018 4:08 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 12:43 pm

Makes about as much sense as some theological theories I have heard. If the Flood can be caused by a wormhole to another planet, than this is as good as anything.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Thu May 31, 2018 6:22 pm

...demonstrating once again that if you want to believe something, your brain will find a way to accommodate that belief. It's hard to step back and really examine our beliefs, get to the nut of why we believe a thing, what evidence has led us to that particular way of thinking. Let the cog dis begin. Selah!
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu May 31, 2018 6:34 pm

Isaiah 11:6-9

6 The wolf will live with the lamb,
the leopard will lie down with the goat,
the calf and the lion and the yearling together;
and a little child will lead them.

7 The cow will feed with the bear,
their young will lie down together,
and the lion will eat straw like the ox.

8 The infant will play near the cobra’s den,
and the young child will put its hand into the viper’s nest.

9 It came to pass the necessity of calling both the
Utah Poison Control and Utah Disaster Kleanup.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:51 am

deacon blues wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 8:56 am
Quote Revelations 5:5-6 to him. It tells us Jesus is both the Lion and the Lamb, at least that's how I understand it. Of course the Book of Revelations seems like its own alternate universe. :D
This is just one of so many examples of the narcissistic nature of monotheistic gods. Whereas polytheism allows for good and evils gods that can battle each other, one god is forced to have all the personalities and require absolute worship and acceptance to whatever he/she/it decides to inflict upon the followers.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjZ3f-IXEXU

On the topic of Alternate universe...I recently listened to a podcast on the topic of nuclear weapons, the hundreds of stock piles, their history and all the incidents of mishandling there have been. Because of their numbers and the number of known incidents, probability says there should have been some major distaster by now. The fact there hasn't been one makes me feel like we are in a simulation designed to keep running, being prevented from destroying ourselves so far. I only mildly entertain this possible reality, but reality itself is so strange that I give it a little space in my thoughts. Now, if I could just find my copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and get off this rock!
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:19 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:51 am
Now, if I could just find my copy of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and get off this rock!
:lol: This.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:45 am

Mad Jax wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:18 am
A lot of people genuinely believe in the Mandela effect. Some of the mis-remembered items that got me are:

1. The above verse
2. The Mr Rogers Theme Song. The lyrics are "It's a beautiful day in this neighborhood" but I swore up and down it was "the neighborhood."

1. "No, I am your father." I actually find it hard to believe so many people believed this was "Luke, I am your father" because it sounds clumsy to me.
2. "We Are the Champions" is one of the most played out songs ever composed. Its last lyric is "Cause we are the champions" and not "of the world." I think this is just a common mistake because brains think in patterns and so the previous chorus just has people expecting it.

There are other examples, but they are so much more easily explained to me as misplaced memory. Human memory is an extremely faulty recording device. As most of us know, memories that feel real exist in pretty much every human mind. It's part of why I love books and films that explore the concept of identity and how it's related to memory.
Whoa... :shock: I guess I always thought it was 'Luke...I am your father" because of that scene in Tommy Boy.
LulalulaLuke.png
LulalulaLuke.png (224.86 KiB) Viewed 9592 times
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:13 pm

Would this explain why when I got to work this morning my socks did not match?
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:17 pm

MoPag wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:45 am
Mad Jax wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 9:18 am

1. The above verse

Whoa... :shock: I guess I always thought it was 'Luke...I am your father" because of that scene in Tommy Boy.

LulalulaLuke.png
Star Wars is linked to the Mandela effect in a lot of ways.

One thing that might convince me it's real is how I remember the prequels being the worst possible Star Wars films, but the shift must have happened in 2015, because that suddenly stopped being true in December of that year.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.