On being left out.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Gatorbait

On being left out.

Post by Gatorbait » Mon May 28, 2018 1:07 pm

We've bounced around many times, like a beach ball at the beach, the idea that the true and only one and one and only church that is the very one that is true and the onlyest one that is true- that church- ought to be turning out kinder, more loving, accepting, gentle, swell and so on and so forth- loveliest folks that have ever walked down the carpeted halls of the temple- where only they- the worthy ones are allowed to go. They should be raising up the very bestest and bravest and the very ones that were Generals- not mere captains mind you- Generals in the pre-existence. The ones who were held back in the "latter days" to get the earth ready for when Christ comes again. Yessir. The latter days.....from 1830 to 2890- maybe.

We've talked about it, that this church ought to be the one that is as much like Christ as lying is to Donald Trump. This church wouldn't be judgmental or leave anyone out or isolate anyone. Nope, that there church would be the one that would have nothin' to do with any of them there things. (sigh)

It's happened to me. Not only was I not advised of the "sacred" church ordinance this past Sunday, for a member of my family, I was not invited to attend. Gasp. Not that I wanted to attend, but hell- we always expect to get asked right? Wrongo. Them days is over. Once you have crossed that black river of doom, looked at the internet and found stuff that....you know what stuff...once you cross over that river, you are done for. They know your fanny is going to not only burn in hell, but because you were a member of the one and onlyest church, the devil himself is going to hold the blow touch on your fanny himself. And he is going to smile :twisted: whilst he's doing it.

So starts a new chapter. On the outside looking in....and not caring at all.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

Palerider

Re: On being left out.

Post by Palerider » Mon May 28, 2018 7:34 pm

Isn't it amazing how quickly we become hopeless causes.

On the other hand having the church "leave us alone" is something that many of us wish for.

Then again family is different. Maybe they just didn't want you to feel uncomfortable.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue May 29, 2018 8:30 am

The LDS church puts families in a profoundly awkward situation with ordinances unless everyone is a committed and fully believing Mormon. If you get invited to a temple sealing or baptism, there is always the uncomfortable conversation about not participating. "You can wait in the lobby if you want" or "You can help watch the kids outside the temple" or "You probably should not join the circle when they are confirmed/ordained/set apart". It's annoying and divisive for you and It's hardly better for them. If the believers are non-confrontational people, then simply not inviting the apostates may be emotionally easier.

The church has promoted this awkwardness and family separation since the first round of foolishness in the settling of Missouri in the late 1830s. Anyone could go in the Kirtland temple, but the church was weirdly insular following that event. I'm so sorry this is happening to you. I sympathize, and my own experience of being "left out" is probably lurking in my own future.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue May 29, 2018 10:55 am

Gatorbait wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:07 pm
So starts a new chapter. On the outside looking in....and not caring at all.
For what it's worth: The not caring part will get easier as more time passes.

[THREADJACK]
Corsair wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:30 am
The church has promoted this awkwardness and family separation since the first round of foolishness in the settling of Missouri in the late 1830s. Anyone could go in the Kirtland temple, but the church was weirdly insular following that event.
Golly-gee-wilikers. What sort of "weird" thing to you s'pose could have happened between the Kirtland and Nauvoo eras that made "the church" want to keep "temple stuff" secret? Hmmmmm...

[/THREADJACK]
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Tue May 29, 2018 11:01 am

There is no evidence God is nice. Who is to say the church is not true. Maybe it is a reflection of God.

Not that I adhere to that notion, but so many seem to want the church to be this or that. Yet there are just as many who like it just the way it is.

For me I am as certain as I can be that it is not true at all. So with that understanding I realize it is going to do whatever it thinks insures it’s survival
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison