The brethren's lack of faith

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
GoodBoy

The brethren's lack of faith

Post by GoodBoy » Thu May 31, 2018 2:54 pm

We recently learned that the brethren have a gigantic "emergency fund". Why? Where is their faith? This goes directly against the teachings of Jesus.
Matthew 6:25-34
25 Therefore I say unto you, Be not anxious for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than the food, and the body than the raiment? 26 Behold the birds of the heaven, that they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; and your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are not ye of much more value than they? 27 And which of you by being anxious can add one cubit unto [a]the measure of his life? 28 And why are ye anxious concerning raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: 29 yet I say unto you, that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 30 But if God doth so clothe the grass of the field, which to-day is, and to-morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? 31 Be not therefore anxious, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 For after all these things do the Gentiles seek; for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. 33 But seek ye first his kingdom, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you. 34 Be not therefore anxious for the morrow: for the morrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
They apparently don't believe the above scriptures. They also refuse to follow Christ's instructions that he gave to his 12 apostles to travel without purse or script but to rely on God for their needs. They instead rely on the arm of flesh and their stipends.
Mark 6:7-10
7 And he called unto him the twelve, and began to send them forth by two and two; and gave them power over unclean spirits; 8 And commanded them that they should take nothing for their journey, save a staff only; no scrip, no bread, no money in their purse: 9 But be shod with sandals; and not put on two coats. 10 And he said unto them, In what place soever ye enter into an house, there abide till ye depart from that place.
They also lack the faith to participate in an open debate, Alma and Amulek style or to even take unscripted questions in public.
Ephesians 6:13-20
13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. 14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;
15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace; 16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked. 17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God: 18 Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all saints; 19 And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, 20 For which I am an ambassador in bonds: that therein I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
They apparently don't really believe that God is with them and can confound their enemies, and make them tremble like Alma and Amulek did to Zeezrom. They are afraid.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

oliver_denom

Re: The brethren's lack of faith

Post by oliver_denom » Thu May 31, 2018 3:06 pm

GoodBoy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 2:54 pm
We recently learned that the brethren have a gigantic "emergency fund". Why? Where is their faith? This goes directly against the teachings of Jesus.
They apparently don't believe the above scriptures. They also refuse to follow Christ's instructions that he gave to his 12 apostles to travel without purse or script but to rely on God for their needs. They instead rely on the arm of flesh and their stipends.
They also lack the faith to participate in an open debate, Alma and Amulek style or to even take unscripted questions in public.
They apparently don't really believe that God is with them and can confound their enemies, and make them tremble like Alma and Amulek did to Zeezrom. They are afraid.
I don't think they're afraid, I think they are a lot less fundamentalist than they could be. For that, we can all be grateful. I don't fault them for being secular, I fault them for encouraging the membership not to be. One of the big turning points for me was from 2008 when I read about a family who heard the call to do all they could to help the Proposition 8 effort, so they donated their entire life savings. I think it was something like 30k. Someone should have stopped them. Someone should have said, "You know the church keeps funds in reserve for rainy days and so should you. Don't give away your entire life's savings." But no one did, and no one ever does. Instead, they teach that you should donate even if it's at the expense of necessities like shelter or food.

That's what's wrong. We should be more like the brethren on this point, not less.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Thu May 31, 2018 3:08 pm

One more teaching the brethren ignore for themselves or for the church as a whole, but teach liberally when asking us peons to pay tithing:
Jesus telling us how a rich man can get into the kingdom of heaven.
Matthew:19:16-24
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. 18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, 19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 20 The young man saith unto him, All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet? 21 Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. 22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions. 23 ¶ Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. 24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Thu May 31, 2018 3:12 pm

oliver_denom wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:06 pm
Instead, they teach that you should donate even if it's at the expense of necessities like shelter or food. That's what's wrong. We should be more like the brethren on this point, not less.
I agree with you completely, except that they've way over-done it with their rainy-day fund. That is a hell of a lot of rain that they are prepared for.

I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy and that they don't follow the teachings of Jesus Christ as recorded in the bible.

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Thu May 31, 2018 3:42 pm

GoodBoy wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:12 pm
oliver_denom wrote:
Instead, they teach that you should donate even if it's at the expense of necessities like shelter or food. That's what's wrong. We should be more like the brethren on this point, not less.
I agree with you completely, except that they've way over-done it with their rainy-day fund. That is a hell of a lot of rain that they are prepared for.
I wonder if they have any purpose in just stock piling funds other than that's what they've been doing and everything seems to be fine. I guess it's all waiting for someone with big ideas to take over.
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu May 31, 2018 8:35 pm

oliver_denom wrote:

I don't fault them for being secular, I fault them for encouraging the membership not to be.
I fault them for being secular but making the members think they are sacred.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:47 am

But I mean, the OP makes an excellent point. If the Brethren really believed they are what they claim to be, and what they insist that we sustain them as, they would:
  • Prophesy every once in a while, like their scriptural counterparts
  • Confound critics of the Church, like their scriptural counterparts
  • Heal the sick and afflicted, like their scriptural counterparts
  • Perform miracles, like their scriptural counterparts
  • Call heads of nations to repentance face to face, like their scriptural counterparts
  • Risk their lives to call the world to repentance, like their scriptural counterparts
That they don't even attempt any of these things tells you everything you need to know about how much faith they have in their own abilities. But they will sure as hell try and make the members think they are somehow special and do something other than sit in meetings and give canned talks to fawning admirers.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:31 am

It is as we have said all along- "pay at that window". They masquerade with the "preparedness" guise, but what they really want is money.

Give me your money....God will bless you.

Pay to play. We don't care how much faith you have folks- you don't get to go into that building over there unless you pay first. No exceptions. And if you don't want to go into that building, we will brow beat you until you do, or until you just fade away. Your money, or your everlasting sole.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:03 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:47 am
But I mean, the OP makes an excellent point. If the Brethren really believed they are what they claim to be, and what they insist that we sustain them as, they would:
  • Prophesy every once in a while, like their scriptural counterparts
  • Confound critics of the Church, like their scriptural counterparts
  • Heal the sick and afflicted, like their scriptural counterparts
  • Perform miracles, like their scriptural counterparts
  • Call heads of nations to repentance face to face, like their scriptural counterparts
  • Risk their lives to call the world to repentance, like their scriptural counterparts
That they don't even attempt any of these things tells you everything you need to know about how much faith they have in their own abilities. But they will sure as hell try and make the members think they are somehow special and do something other than sit in meetings and give canned talks to fawning admirers.
The only people they confront are members of the church. Even then, it's usually young girls who stand at the wrong time during a meeting. They will call out members during conference when no one can respond. There is no courage demonstrated. Protecting their reputation before the world is a high priority.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:07 pm

If I could get people to give me 10% of their money and then work for me for free I could have a nice rainy day fund. It does not take any real genius to have boatloads of cash when you have that kind of scheme going.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:31 pm

As far as a rainy day fund goes, I'm glad the Church has chosen stocks, bonds, land, and gold over dried beans.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:18 am

I can't stop thinking about that excerpt from Leonard Arrington's journal where he talks about how afraid The Brethren are about making decisions and consequently exposing themselves to making mistakes. I think these men, despite the arrogance that some of them exude, live in a perpetual state of terror, either of being revealed as all smoke and no fire, or of failing to keep the church thriving and growing, depending on how much they actually believe their own story. Simultaneously terrified of investigation by mortals, and the wrath of God. Rock and a hard place. On top of that they have to deal with the pressure of pleasing, impressing and competing with their Q15 peers. A bunch of alpha dogs guarding an imaginary bone.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:41 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:18 am
I can't stop thinking about that excerpt from Leonard Arrington's journal where he talks about how afraid The Brethren are about making decisions and consequently exposing themselves to making mistakes. I think these men, despite the arrogance that some of them exude, live in a perpetual state of terror, either of being revealed as all smoke and no fire, or of failing to keep the church thriving and growing, depending on how much they actually believe their own story. Simultaneously terrified of investigation by mortals, and the wrath of God. Rock and a hard place. On top of that they have to deal with the pressure of pleasing, impressing and competing with their Q15 peers. A bunch of alpha dogs guarding an imaginary bone.
This. They want us to believe in them and their divine appointment, but they don't believe in themselves or their own divine appointment enough to actually act on it.

I guess they have a lot of history of other church leaders striking out boldly and with confidence and screwing things up pretty badly. So they have to resort to big revelations consisting of changing the missionary age by one year.