"I didn't know I needed an apology until I read that hoax."

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
RubinHighlander

"I didn't know I needed an apology until I read that hoax."

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:35 am

I heard this quote on NPR this morning; it's from a black Mormon woman. Radio West will be doing a show today on the COB's 40th anniversary of the “Revelation on the Priesthood.”
http://radiowest.kuer.org/post/black-and-mormon-today

The other thread here on NOM on the apology hoax revealed how most black Mormon's were quite angry about it.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3056
This quote helped me better understand why. It can certainly be taken multiple ways, but for me it said a lot about how well the COB can water down and cover up controversial things in its narrative for its TBMs. I'm not sure how I feel about the hoax apology overall, whether it was good or bad, I think both. I can see how much painful cogdis it would cause those directly affected by it, at the same time revealing harsh truths and forcing some accountability on the COB. Anyway, I'll be listening to this program today and hope to gain more perspective on it from both sides.

I didn't know I needed an apology...Many of us here went through and are going through a tremendous amount of painful cogdis. We discovered what we were taught for many years, often from a young age, is simply not the truth. Some of us may feel like we are owed an apology but we know we'll never get one. I and my DW have actually apologized to our children for forcing them to go to church and learn all of that BS. They have always been grateful and understanding for that, telling us it's not our fault because that's how we were raised. One of the hardest steps in this process of leaving the church is to admit you've been deceived, that your whole belief system was false. Many folks can't do that and I think it's a testament to many here as to your integrity and fortitude that you can face up to the truth and find new paths in life, going against so many odds and challenges to risk leaving your tribe and disrupting your life on a major level.
Last edited by RubinHighlander on Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

jfro18

Re: "I didn't know I needed an apology until I read that hoax."

Post by jfro18 » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:03 am

I keep thinking there will be some sort of apology tonight... I just can not imagine they would do a 40th anniversary celebration like this without having *some* news to come out of it. But I could be wrong, of course...

That said - I think there are so many things about the church you can't realize until it hits you. One of the newer apologists said effectively 'The second you let the seed of doubt grow there's no going back,' and he was right. The moment you realize that what you've been taught might not be true, everything starts to line up a la the Sixth Sense.

So I think sometimes there's a reason the church *can't* apologize, because it basically admits that the judgment and 'direct line to God' of early prophets was a lie. And once people start to realize that, everything else will fall into line even if it takes a while to finally break the shelf.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:35 am

jfro18 wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:03 am
I keep thinking there will be some sort of apology tonight... I just can not imagine they would do a 40th anniversary celebration like this without having *some* news to come out of it. But I could be wrong, of course...
I prophesy that there will be no apology during the celebration of "the church" finally deciding to claim they are not racist.

Just the parading around of a few token celebrities, and a greedy corporation patting it'self on the back.

(I'd also be happy if my prophecy were completely wrong. Time will tell, but based on past history...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:37 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:35 am
jfro18 wrote:
I prophesy that there will be no apology during the celebration of "the church" finally deciding to claim they are not racist.

Just the parading around of a few token celebrities, and a greedy corporation patting it'self on the back.

(I'd also be happy if my prophecy were completely wrong. Time will tell, but based on past history...)
Have you learned nothing from the church? If your prophecy is wrong, you simply come back and edit your post to align with whatever happens tonight. No need to tie yourself down to an actual opinion on things.

alas

Post by alas » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:16 am

wtfluff wrote:
jfro18 wrote:

Although this sounds totally cynical, I totally agree. The church will parade around a few select happy black Mormons, pat itself do the back as *if* it was the FIRST church to recognize God's pretty multicolored children as belonging to the same God who made the pink ones. Pat itself on the back for realizing that in places like Brasil, people don't know if they have any ancestry from Africa and if the church were to build a temple there and people go through, THEN find out they have 2% African ancestry, it just makes the church look bad. As it did when people were ordained to the priesthood because they looked pink, and turns out they were not "pure bloods" but some of them are "mud bloods". And the church will brag about how they have never been racist and never judged each other on their shade of pink. They will quote each other, and praise each other as prophets and pat each other on the back.

My SIL got her ancestry DNA thing done and has like 4% African. As far as anybody knows, she is 100% European. But the interesting thing is that in the days of Shakespeare, there were Moors living in Europe as evidenced by Othello. There were what was called black Irish, and people from Italy who frequently have mixed European/African ancestry. Most likely, none of us are "pure bloods". Besides, us Europeans have 2-4% Neanderthal DNA, so, if any race is subhuman, it is us.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:49 am

jfro18 wrote:
Current doctrine says that the church can do no permanent wrong because it's led by God himself. Therefore, its members are entirely responsible for trusting the church and its leaders.

Why would someone who doesn't even feel responsible for maintaining your trust do anything to repair it? It was your fault you lost it, you know.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am

IT_Veteran wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:37 am
wtfluff wrote:
jfro18 wrote:

Have you learned nothing from the church? If your prophecy is wrong, you simply come back and edit your post to align with whatever happens tonight. No need to tie yourself down to an actual opinion on things.
Ah yes... But you also forgot the lying, and/or gaslighting:
Some Fluffy Person wrote:Oh, when I typed "prophesy", I really didn't mean prophesy. I knew what I was really typing, and if you were worthy, you would have know what I was really typing too.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:03 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:00 am
IT_Veteran wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:37 am
wtfluff wrote:

Ah yes... But you also forgot the lying, and/or gaslighting:
Some Fluffy Person wrote:Oh, when I typed "prophesy", I really didn't mean prophesy. I knew what I was really typing, and if you were worthy, you would have know what I was really saying too.
Forgive me, I didn't mean to redefine prophesy as something other than what it is. I should have known better. I will repent.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:06 am

wtfluff wrote:
jfro18 wrote:

I'm with Fluff.

Hey, maybe you're a prophet Fluff. :D
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Ben Davis

Post by Ben Davis » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:29 pm

Reuben wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:49 am

Current doctrine says that the church can do no permanent wrong because it's led by God himself. Therefore, its members are entirely responsible for trusting the church and its leaders.

Why would someone who doesn't even feel responsible for maintaining your trust do anything to repair it? It was your fault you lost it, you know.
TRUTH

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am

Aren't Gladys Knight and the Pips Mormons?
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:40 am

Archimedes wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:32 am
Aren't Gladys Knight and the Pips Mormons?
Gladys is.

Don't know if all the Pips have joined up...

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander