New EQ/HPG

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
foolmeonce

New EQ/HPG

Post by foolmeonce » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:31 pm

So, I haven't been to church for a few years.

For those that still attend, how has the newly inspired Old Dude/Young Dude class going? And what about the activities? Do the old dudes help with moving and play basketball on Thursday nights? Are the young dudes doing more genealogy and temple laundry?

I'm super interested here.

Well, I guess that's a slight overstatement. If I were super interested I'd go check it out. I'm probably more casually interested.
Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

Bremguy

Re: New EQ/HPG

Post by Bremguy » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:48 pm

When I last attended in April, when it was first instituted. I was not fond of it. My opinion of it has not changed.
It is hard enough to attend when you have little in common with your fellow HP. I have even less in common with the young guys now, most are engineer types, like in mechanical, etc and all work at the same place. To use a car analogy, I am a Corvette guy , in a Mustang club. Out of my place. For a disclosure here , I have owned both a Corvette and Mustang. Both great cars, just I like Vettes a bit more.

I have heard rumors of many Wards not having enough ph to do much of anything.

I have a hunch that the new President RMNelson wanted to make some sort of everlasting impact on the Church.

Just my 2 cents, others may have a better opinion.
Live Long and Prosper

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:58 pm

The new Quorum leader came over to deliver my ministering list. Pig with new lipstick.

I think it might liven up the HP/EQ meetings, or make the EQ fall asleep and not want to come...
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Ben Davis

Post by Ben Davis » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:04 am

I hated going to EQ before the switch. I’m am loving it now. Maybe it’s just the right leadership and I get along pretty well with all the folks in there. It’s also a small ward and quorum.

About ministering, I like the switch of focus to qualitative reporting from quantitative reporting. I don’t have to feel guilty for not regurgitating a lame lesson from the ensign and can actually get to know someone. That said I haven’t actually home taught in years.

FoundMyOwnWay

Post by FoundMyOwnWay » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:52 am

Well, I've honestly only been maybe 3 or 4 times this year. Yet somehow they still called me to be one of the new teachers :o They must be really desperate :lol: I accepted recently, because this sounds like a pretty mild calling. I only have to teach once a month, and I don't really teach just guide the discussion and let those that love to talk much more than I do talk. Including priesthood opening meeting, and announcements, I'll only have to fill 20 to 25 minutes with a lesson. Hopefully, I'll get to bring in some real meaty material here and there.

The meetings I have attended have been similar to what we had before. The difference now is that we all sit in a circle and there are more people. The lessons are still as boring and devoid of any real substance as ever. Having more people is nice, since that means more people who love to talk about the gospel, leaving the rest of us less chance of having to say anything.