Apologists in a Feeding Frenzy

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

Apologists in a Feeding Frenzy

Post by consiglieri » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 pm

You should really go to Bill Reel's Facebook page if you want some entertainment.

Bill has posted a promo of the next Radio Free Mormon podcast going up Sunday.

It deals with Daniel Peterson's recent attempt to defend the First Vision accounts as published in the Deseret News.

The apologists are coming out of the woodwork, fighting with each other like a bunch of rabid alligators to be the first to chew Bill's balls off.

But when Bill offers to have them come on his podcast, they go all crickets on him.

I don't know how to put a link to it here, but it is worth reading.

All the Best!

--Consiglieri

consiglieri

Re: Apologists in a Feeding Frenzy

Post by consiglieri » Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:19 pm

Maybe this link will work.

https://www.facebook.com/bill.reel.7

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:20 pm

My hat goes off to Bill for all he does. I don’t think I could take on the task of publicly tackling the issues as he’s done, and someone needed to do it and he stood up.

And like you, Consiglieri, I think the apologists’ response is predictably comical every time.
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:36 pm

Stephen Smoot showed up to accuse Bill of priestcraft then disappeared like the 1832 account of the first vision! I’m excited for your analysis consig. Should we still expect a conference review episode as well? I’ve been looking forward to it...
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:24 am

consiglieri wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 pm
The apologists are coming out of the woodwork, fighting with each other like a bunch of rabid alligators to be the first to chew Bill's balls off.

But when Bill offers to have them come on his podcast, they go all crickets on him.
It is hard to make exclamation points in crayon on an audio recording. None of them want to end up sounding like crackpots.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:15 am

When I went to bed last night, there were 194 comments on the thread.

When I woke up this morning, there were 55.

Stephen Smoot went back and deleted an entire long sub-thread in which he showed himself to disadvantage.

Fortunately, somebody saved the entire exchange.

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:22 am

Stephen Smoot pulled a classic Peterson last night by saying he had to leave the thread because he had to drive six-hours "tomorrow" to an "academic conference" where people do "actual scholarship" and "engage in critical thinking."

But it was his "bukake" comment that took the cake.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:27 am

consiglieri wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:22 am
Stephen Smoot pulled a classic Peterson last night by saying he had to leave the thread because he had to drive six-hours "tomorrow" to an "academic conference" where people do "actual scholarship" and "engage in critical thinking."

But it was his "bukake" comment that took the cake.
Sure, it's not enough to just say "I have to retire tonight, I have a long day tomorrow and this discussion isn't productive." Instead, he has to try and show how he's superior to everyone else, refuse to accept defeat (or even detente) and move on with his life. I don't know anything about the guy (I have little use for apologetics) but I doubt he's done much in the way of critical thinking or actual scholarship when it comes to the church.

Actual scholarship requires that you start with a testable hypothesis and do unbiased research (or at least recognize and call attention to your biases) and then report the results of that research. You can even argue vigorously for why your research matters or how it supports the hypothesis. What you cannot do, in actual scholarship, is start by writing the conclusion, develop hypotheses that support the conclusion, and then redefine all of the answers your research provides to support those hypotheses. And then point at the body of work and say "See! I told you it was true!"

oliblish

Post by oliblish » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:34 am

consiglieri wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:15 am

Stephen Smoot went back and deleted an entire long sub-thread in which he showed himself to disadvantage.

Where can we find this archived exchange of comments? I missed the whole thing and would like to read it. (Yes, I guess I am a masochist).
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

Craig Paxton

Post by Craig Paxton » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:11 am

Interesting that that thread has disappeared. I participated in it and was chiding the apologists for their bull shit claims that they wouldn't go on Bill's podcast for fear of being misrepresented. As each of their excuses was offered I called them on it, exposing the flaws in their excuses.
They were left bare naked with no logical or plausible excuses but with the real reason's...their fear of their standing in the church being somehow diminished should they be interviewed. They didn't want to go on the record and be put in a situation where they would be held accountilbe by someone smart and who knows where all the bodies are buried.

They eventually all went silent...and now I guess in typical apologist M.O. have deleted the thread. Perfect cover up...what a bunch of sissies.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:14 am

Feel free to post it here at NOM Consig!

I'm off to an academic scholarship luncheon 5 hours away and will chat with you all later!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:15 am

didyoumythme wrote:
Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:36 pm
Stephen Smoot showed up to accuse Bill of priestcraft then disappeared like the 1832 account of the first vision!
Ha ha ha! I'm borrowing this one!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

græy

Post by græy » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:57 am

consiglieri wrote:
I just spent 20 minutes reading every comment looking for the apologists before I saw this post. I wish I had been there last night. :lol:
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:11 pm

Are there any sites where apologists sill engage with unbelievers? It's like they appear and then scurry away in singular events like Bill's Facebook page.

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:25 pm

The only thing that made it more interesting was a friend of Stephen Smoot sort of "outing" him as bisexual after he left.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Consig, I really enjoy your podcasts. I try to drop a few $$ every time I listen to them. Keep up the awesome work.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:09 pm

oliblish wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:34 am
consiglieri wrote:

Where can we find this archived exchange of comments? I missed the whole thing and would like to read it. (Yes, I guess I am a masochist).

Does anyone have a link to the whole conversation? I’d love to read it.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:19 pm

w2mz wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:09 pm
There are some saved screenshots here. Be aware there are some unusual items being discussed in that thread.

http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3 ... &start=21
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:09 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:19 pm
w2mz wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:09 pm
There are some saved screenshots here. Be aware there are some unusual items being discussed in that thread.

http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3 ... &start=21
:shock:
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:39 am

The dude has Big Boy stuff to do.

Let him get to it, I say.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster