Blessings and qualifying for same

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Vlad the Emailer

Blessings and qualifying for same

Post by Vlad the Emailer » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:03 pm

My dd sometimes struggles with schoolwork. Last night TBM DW told her "I hope you're praying for help from your HF with your school work. You're going to seminary, so you've earned those blessings". For one thing, if she's already earned the blessings, why should she then have to pray for them? But that's not the point I'm making now.

Similarly, upon her husband being released as bishop I, years ago, asked a good sister if she was excited to have her husband back. She said, "yes, but we'll miss all the blessings". Her hubby was a successful MD and they were/are, of course, at the top of the local LDS elite. I wondered what blessings she felt like they would not have received had doctor hubby not been bishop for those five years.

Conversely, we have Vlad the emailing apostate. In our household the financial situation is about like the spiritual, a mixed bag. When the finances aren't at their best, DW doesn't say it, but I know she thinks it....if her hubby was a believing full tithe payer rather than a selfish non-tithing, non-believer, such and such financial set back wouldn't have happened. She feels like this is backed up by the economically successful Mormon stereotype (are Mormons really better off then most?).

Regardless, after my disaffection I can so easily see the fundamentalist Christian criticism of Mormonism's works philosophy. I just don't know if I can worship a god that makes you pre-qualify to get a little help now and then.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being mistaken, or cease being honest. - Anonymous

Say what you want about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith, I consider a capacity for it terrifying. - Kurt Vonnegut

MalcolmVillager

Re: Blessings and qualifying for same

Post by MalcolmVillager » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:11 pm

How self-righteous is it to think we ever deserve anything?! From godly blessings to good karma. LIFE is chance and odds. Positive mental attitude always helps (it is a form of confirmation bias), but I fail to see how any occurrence is anything other than chance and statistics. Lottery winners feel lucky but someone had to win, the fact that it was them is just luck.

It is interesting though how the COJCOLDS promotes leaders who look the part. They are either visibly blessed, talented, or amazingly spiritual (if not a combination of the 3) which adds to the appearance that the Lord blesses those who are worthy.

If that is the case, why do they ask for suggestions from the leadership for SP and even BP recommendations?! they are really polling the "in the know" crowd to receive the chances of screwing up by throwing darts or drawing names out of a hat.

Blessings indeed!

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:06 pm

If you look around the world, you can easily see that non-Mormons receive few blessings in their lives. It is impossible to be successful and happy outside Mormonism. If you do not live up to the fullest of gospel teachings including tithing and the WoW, you cannot be blessed by your HF.
Isn't this what is taught and implied?
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:16 am

These conversations are familiar.

The only difference is when homework is Spanish and the wife tells the kid to pray for the gift of tongues.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:17 am

Red Ryder wrote:These conversations are familiar.

The only difference is when homework is Spanish and the wife tells the kid to pray for the gift of tongues.
I would recommend praying for the gift of Google Translate. I have started telling my children, "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of Google, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:35 pm

I tell my kids, aren't you happy that gps doesn't only work when you have enough faith in your brother?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

zim35

Post by zim35 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:14 pm

In a thousand years we will all be praying to Google.