Russell M Nelson: commander of an invisible realm

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Russell M Nelson: commander of an invisible realm

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:12 am

President Nelson is playing an interesting game with his subtle re-focus from service to people in this (actual) world to people in the spiritual (imaginary) realm.
Our message to the world is simple and sincere: we invite all of God’s children on both sides of the veil to come unto their Savior, receive the blessings of the holy temple, have enduring joy, and qualify for eternal life. (Let Us All Press On, April 2018)
"...offering the gospel of Jesus Christ to God’s children on both sides of the veil, children who have neither made crucial covenants with God nor received their essential ordinances." (Youth Fireside June 3 2018)
There are two interesting implications to this. First is that Pres. Nelson creates the impression that he is somehow aware of, and overseeing, work in the invisible realm. Second is that time spent serving dead people is just as urgent and worthwhile as service to living people.

As the church's growth continues to falter in this world will the significance of what's going on behind the veil assume a greater emphasis? You can claim any degree of success you desire when you operate in a realm that exists in your own invention.

Most of you probably don't realize that I command an army of millions or mighty men and maintain a vast harem of exotic beauties in a giant crystal castle in my invisible kingdom of Hagothlandia. Prove me wrong.

Serving invisible people in invisible places frees up a lot of financial resources for building malls, and helps keep the teenagers busy with institutional busy work.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Re: Russell M Nelson: commander of an invisible realm

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:22 am

This is an interesting observation!

Totally makes sense, since the COB does not have the numbers in mortality, they can count members in the pretend afterlife. This may play into the watered down last days narrative in a subtle way, where redeeming the dead picks up steam as missionary work in the real world starts to dwindle. Imaginary battles with evil may also play into future GC talks as more leave the church; separation of wheat from tares. Makes the remaining TBMs feel more special and add more support to their "doubt your doubts" shelves.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:28 am

Your quotes also include something I'm hearing a lot more of than in years past, a fixation on making sure other people are making covenants. Maybe it's an extension of a desire for everyone to receive saving ordinances and the covenants are along for that ride but I think one of the effects is to subtly remind everyone that they are supposed to be obedient.

You've got to make the covenants. What happened to charity, service, and trying to be good?

Wherefore, my beloved brethren, if ye have not covenants, ye are nothing, for covenants never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto covenants, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:29 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:22 am
This may play into the watered down last days narrative in a subtle way, where redeeming the dead picks up steam as missionary work in the real world starts to dwindle.
You have been called to serve in the "do baptisms in the Logan temple" mission.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:22 am

As many of you know, "Things Are Rapidly Changing in the LDS Church" and one of those things is that there are now four key indicators for missionary work:

# of new investigators
# of investigators who attend sacrament meeting
# of investigators with a baptismal date
# of investigators baptized and confirmed

I truly hope that President Nelson starts publishing the key indicators for work for the dead. We certainly wouldn't want people to think that temple service is a colossal waste of time in a gaudy, expensive building.

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am

Are all of the dead prophets on emeritus status on the other side? Shouldn’t that side of the veil be their gig?

Why does RMN need to issue a call to the other side as well? Seems like he should be focused with the living sheep. I wonder if all the prophets on the other side are given a modest celestial stipend and allowed to just chilax for their eternity.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:50 pm

w2mz wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:26 am
Are all of the dead prophets on emeritus status on the other side? Shouldn’t that side of the veil be their gig?

Why does RMN need to issue a call to the other side as well? Seems like he should be focused with the living sheep. I wonder if all the prophets on the other side are given a modest celestial stipend and allowed to just chilax for their eternity.
You have an incredibly awesome brain, w2mz.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:11 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:12 am
Most of you probably don't realize that I command an army of millions of mighty men and maintain a vast harem of exotic beauties in a giant crystal castle in my invisible kingdom of Hagothlandia.
"Hail, Hail, Hagothlandia, home of the bounteous bosoms burning!"

Why does RMN need to issue a call to the other side as well?
The Church paid a lot for that 370-foot transmission tower on Farnsworth Peak. Might as well send messages through the veil.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:07 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:11 am
The Church paid a lot for that 370-foot transmission tower on Farnsworth Peak. Might as well send messages through the veil.
Wait, you're saying that someone built a giant priesthood antenna? Where did they erect this firm structure? Is the Relief Society allowed to use it?

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:27 pm

Corsair wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:07 am
Wait, you're saying that someone built a giant priesthood antenna? Where did they erect this firm structure? Is the Relief Society allowed to use it?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:34 pm

This reminds me of when my good friends and companions Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli traveled deep into the path of the dead to recruit the Dead men of Dunharrow. Aragorn carried with him Narsil, Isildur's sword, which had been reforged. The sword helped them commit this Army of the Dead to help fight for the noble cause to defeat the necromancer and evil.
Aragorn commanded this invisible realm to victory. Those were the good old days when people cared about fighting against true evil including a necromancer with a magic stone.
~2bizE