Are Wards Jumping the BSA Ship Early?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
foolmeonce

Re: Are Wards Jumping the BSA Ship Early?

Post by foolmeonce » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:10 pm

2bizE wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:18 pm
I'm a lackadaisical scout leader. I am hoping to throw the towel in early. Our charter has about 12 boys from 12-18 years old. None of them are interested. I have nobody who helps me with scouts. No scout committee. No assistant. I'm too busy to do much on weekends with the boys. I'm pretty much checked out.
The Church has always done Scouting poorly. Compelling you to be in charge, giving you no resources, pulling other dad's service time away from helping their own kids, and changing leaders all the time is just not a way to run a unit. I'm sorry you're in that position, if I were in your shoes, I'd be checked out too.

In the long run, I predict that BSA will be better without LDS.
Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

foolmeonce

Post by foolmeonce » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:15 pm

Brent wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:28 pm
A bigger question for me is liability, a "non-Scout" latter-day saint chops his hand off with a hatchet--who's the responsible party? Will the church have regs and rules? Who teaches knife safety and if it isn't taught who's on the hook? I'm motorcycle safety instructor and staying on script and touching all the bases is your place of safety.

Given the church's interest in all things legal I'd be curious to see the way things play.
I'll bet they handle it like they handle food service liability. Give the members a barely functional kitchen that looks like it should be usable and safe to feed a couple hundred people, put a generic sign up that says "the kitchen is for warming food only" then leave it to the members to figure out how to make that work. As long as the sign is up, they're absolved from providing things like commercial dish washers, right?

I'll bet they take a similar approach with their youth program.
Neo: What are you trying to tell me? That I can dodge bullets?
Morpheus: No, Neo. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:12 pm

It's not going to happen on this Cub Masters watch. We are going to kick butt until the end.

Scouts has been fading for a long, long time. Camp is getting really expensive, and parents aren't supporting it. I put together a nice three day camp for the Varsity/Venture a few years ago with kayaking and a little rock climbing. I had ten strongly commit, with permission slips and a copy of physicals, four showed up. The parents gave me a, "he was scared of that stuff, he was worried about being away." Translation: I want to play Xbox One and PS4.

It's okay...I blew our whole budget on the way home at a really good steakhouse with the crew that came. Handed the Bishop the bill and dropped through mic...no more Scouts for me.
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Raylan Givens

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 pm

foolmeonce wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:10 pm
2bizE wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:18 pm
I'm a lackadaisical scout leader. I am hoping to throw the towel in early. Our charter has about 12 boys from 12-18 years old. None of them are interested. I have nobody who helps me with scouts. No scout committee. No assistant. I'm too busy to do much on weekends with the boys. I'm pretty much checked out.
The Church has always done Scouting poorly. Compelling you to be in charge, giving you no resources, pulling other dad's service time away from helping their own kids, and changing leaders all the time is just not a way to run a unit. I'm sorry you're in that position, if I were in your shoes, I'd be checked out too.

In the long run, I predict that BSA will be better without LDS.
It will be better, just by having people who want to be there. I have been super impressed with my DD Girl Scout troop sponsored by a Greek Orthodox Church. They are on it, some of the leaders have been doing it for 30 years!!

The girls want to be there, the families support it. If you work the fundraiser food booths at the Greek Festival, free food!!!
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:32 am

One thing I wonder about is what will become of the status of the Eagle Award/ When I was living in Utah many moons ago, there was a lot of clout associated with it. People would include their Eagle on job applications well into their professional careers. It is a bragging point for many teens and adults.

Outside of Utah, to me it seams like the Eagle has much less to very little clout. People will put it on a resume if they are trying to fill space, but it is usually skimmed over in the hiring process, if it is referenced at all. If someone mentioned they have one, it is usually met with a "that's nice" style comment and then they go on to other topics.

So with as much emphasis as Utans place on the Eagle, when they drop scouts in favor of what ever the replacement is, they will be taking some wind out of the sails of a lot of their own bragging.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

oliver_denom

Post by oliver_denom » Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:22 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:43 am
Apparently, some stakes are beginning to have "Priesthood Encampments" as a replacement for scout camp.
https://www.lds.org/youth/activities/st ... t?lang=eng

Activities include, "individual scripture study, scripture memorization, small-group discussions led by young men, firesides, testimony meetings, teaching opportunities for the young men, and so on."

I am so jealous. When I went to scout at camp I was stuck with activities like canoeing, rifle shooting, archery, sailing, hiking, and other such tomfoolery.
It's hard to read this and not get the impression that the LDS church is sprinting toward the "C-word".
“You want to know something? We are still in the Dark Ages. The Dark Ages--they haven't ended yet.” - Vonnegut

L'enfer, c'est les autres - JP

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:25 am

foolmeonce wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:18 pm
So, that may be semi feasible in the MORCOR where the church likely owns lots of camp sites already, but what about everywhere else?

Are they going to start buying camp site land?
The Girl Scouts had financial problems several years back, and the Church bought at least one of their camps here in Oregon that I am directly aware of (I did consulting work on the site - Camp Kilowan). In the past that camp has been used for Girls Camps only, but I suppose it could also be used for these PriestCraft Camps.

The church publishes a list of the church-owned camps:

https://www.lds.org/locations/camping/s ... s?lang=eng
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster