A House Built on Sand

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Re: A House Built on Sand

Post by moksha » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:23 pm

Giant Steps wrote:I've yet to see anything from the inspired fiction crowd explaining who this Moroni character was that appeared to Joseph Smith and helped him find the plates. Until that's explained to my satisfaction it's hard for me to have respect for someone that see's the problems apparent in a literal belief but not the problems apparent in a non-literal belief. Until then I'll weigh the church's truth claims on how THEY present them.
Moroni?!!! Heck, I'm still waiting on a satisfactory explanation of Bilbo Baggins and Huck Finn. Until that time, it's off to the Grey Havens and perhaps a glimpse of starlight on the Western Sea.

Our great oral and literary traditions add immeasurably to our lives. Why cut ourselves out of it entirely because some of it is fictional or made so by the retellings? Gilgamesh wrestled Enkidu as surely as Ajax wrestled Odysseus. Joseph Smith found Moroni's golden plates as sure as Finian McLonergan found the Leprechaun's pot of gold. Whether fictional or not the story is out there for us to peruse and enjoy.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

LSOF

Re: A House Built on Sand

Post by LSOF » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:57 pm

moksha wrote:
Our great oral and literary traditions add immeasurably to our lives. Why cut ourselves out of it entirely because some of it is fictional or made so by the retellings? Gilgamesh wrestled Enkidu as surely as Ajax wrestled Odysseus. Joseph Smith found Moroni's golden plates as sure as Finian McLonergan found the Leprechaun's pot of gold. Whether fictional or not the story is out there for us to peruse and enjoy.
We have Star Wars &c. for that, most of which is infinitely better than the Book of Mormon.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League