Difference Between Mormons and Catholics

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Difference Between Mormons and Catholics

Post by moksha » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:40 am

Mormon leaders would never allow the images on the dome of the Sistine Chapel; Michaelangelo would have been fired and the Brethren would have it all painted over in eggshell white. Catholic priests would not encourage parishioners to stockpile hard winter wheat and then sell it to them.

Maybe there are some other differences.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

rincewind

Re: Difference Between Mormons and Catholics

Post by rincewind » Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:32 am

Catholics are racked with guilt over the things they’ve done. Mormons are racked with guilt over the things they haven’t done (e.g., home teaching, er, ministering, FHE, family history/temple work, cleaning the church, family scripture study...).

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:25 pm

We have to include this old joke: Catholics say the pope is infallible, but no one really believes it. Mormons say the prophet is fallible, but no one really believes that either.

I'm also imagining a Roman Catholic and a Mormon showing up at the pearly gates. They both stride up to St. Peter each trying to get in his good graces by saying he was the authorized leader of Christ's church in the first century and each guy then claiming that the authority of their church comes from Peter. Peter simply rolls his eyes and tells them both to get back in line.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:47 pm

Catholic leaders set it up so they had no sex. Mormon leaders set it up so they would have a lot.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:26 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:40 am
Mormon leaders would never allow the images on the dome of the Sistine Chapel
I'm trying to remember which Mormon Stories interview it was with a relative of someone who painted a temple mural. The painter included mice smoking cigarettes temporarily as a joke before completing the art. Or did I just imagine hearing that?

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:42 am

Ghost wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:26 am
...someone who painted a temple mural. The painter included mice smoking cigarettes temporarily as a joke before completing the art.
The painter could have been referencing testing by the FDA or Phillip Morris. Image
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:48 am

I once dated a Catholic who jokingly said, "I'll show you my Rosary beads, if you show me your garments." :o I think she was joking. ;)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.