Did Horse mean Horse to Joseph Smith?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Did Horse mean Horse to Joseph Smith?

Post by moksha » Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:02 am

Apologists have suggested in the Book of Mormon that:

1. Sheep meant llamas.
2. Cattle meant either mountain goats, llamas, or the ancestor of the American bison.
3. Goats referred to native Mesoamerican brocket deer.
4. Swine referred to peccaries.
5. Wheat and barley referred to Hordeum pusillum.
6. Silk referred to in the hair of rabbit's bellies or pods of the ceiba tree.
7. Chariot may refer to a non-wheeled vehicle.
8. Steel refers to a hardened metal other than iron.
9. Swords referred to the macuahuitl club with obsidian blades.
10. Cimiters (scimitars) may have referred to some sort of knife.

So, did Joseph Smith mean horse when he wrote down the word horse?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Re: Did Horse mean Horse to Joseph Smith?

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Of course he meant "horse." He didn't know any better, which is why it's such an ongoing problem.

Did he mean "some random dude totally unrelated to the Book of Mormon narrative" when he said, "Zelph?"
moksha wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:02 am
8. Steel refers to a hardened metal other than iron.
They really need to just give up on this one. People in the Maya region did not use any metal of any kind during the BoM period. Not even gold, and certainly not as a writing surface. North Americans did use copper, but it was cold-hammered, which precludes any kind of hardening technique.

Some apologists have gone as far as saying that "steel" is a loan shift for "obsidian." If you have to go that far to keep yourself convinced I have some Guatemalan swamp land I'd like to sell you.

One piece of "evidence" for metallurgy that really irks me (and please pardon me for ranting about this yet again) is the apologetic claim that the Olmec were mining and refining iron ore during Jaredite times, when they know damn well that what was really being mined was hematite which was polished into beads and mirrors.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:36 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:02 am
So, did Joseph Smith mean horse when he wrote down the word horse?
I would await Hagoth to show up with his avatar picture. He presents an orthodox interpretation from FairMormon.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:51 pm

I’m mostly curious as to why, if God simply used the words Joseph would understand, we have cureloms and cumoms in the BoM.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:01 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:51 pm
I’m mostly curious as to why, if God simply used the words Joseph would understand, we have cureloms and cumoms in the BoM.
Because if we didn't have those words there would be no room for faith.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:23 pm

Lamanite warrior and his majestic steed....

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:36 pm

Hermey wrote:
Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:23 pm
Lamanite warrior and his majestic steed....

What...no chariot???
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 am

A horse is a tapir, of course, of course,
And no one can ride on a tapir of course
That is, of course, unless the tapir is the famous Mr. Peterson

Go right to the source and ask the tapir
He'll give you the answer that the BoM is a caper.
They're lucky the BoM didn't mention a rapier.
Talk to Mr. Peterson.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 am

There is only one reason to change the meaning of words. Their actual definition means that what you believe is NOT true.

And for most mormons the only thing that cannot change in their life is their belief that the mormon church is true. And if that is at risk, then anything can be put on the altar of truth to be sacrificed. Including the standard and normal definition of words.

Translation now means inspiration.
Steel now means obsidian lined clubs.
Doctrine now means opinions or policy.
Truth means feelings.

And on and on we go.

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:09 am

hiding in plain sight wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 am
There is only one reason to change the meaning of words. Their actual definition means that what you believe is NOT true.

And for most mormons the only thing that cannot change in their life is their belief that the mormon church is true. And if that is at risk, then anything can be put on the altar of truth to be sacrificed. Including the standard and normal definition of words.

Truth means feelings.

And on and on we go.
I wonder how a bow of fine obsidian would work?

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:39 pm

A good followup question is what the hell did he mean by curelom and cumom? And if your going to use stupid made up words for those why "loan shift" everything else? Apologist arse-hats.

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:50 pm

Is there a list of all the made up words? That would be a good counter to the every day words the apologist use to try and nuance the BOM ridiculousness.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:36 pm

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:50 pm

Is there a list of all the made up words? That would be a good counter to the every day words the apologist use to try and nuance the BOM ridiculousness.
Do you mean actual made up words like curelom and Zarahemla? If you really want a list of everything that’s made up it starts with “I Nephi...”

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:39 am

If horse actually meant tapir it really creates the question of why were they mentioned at all unless they were an indication of the owner's power? What power does a tapir lend to its owner?

If they are just being mentioned as a note on biodiversity it seems that monkeys would have been quite interesting to reference as well.

Cureloms and Cumoms were mentioned because of their usefulness as I recall. Of course it is conveniently not mentioned what they were used for. But we know what horses are used for especially in connection with the word "chariot". Ammon is said to "prepare the kings horses and chariots".
This presents a picture of a relatively advanced form of transportation, power and warfare. When Ammon goes to feed the kings horses are we to envision a set of stables full of tapirs?

Horses are mentioned numerous times in conjunction with goats, wild goats and cattle of every kind. I wonder what all those goats and cows really were? I mean, if horses aren't "horses" then goats probably aren't "goats" are they?

You know I happen to own some very fine horses and it occasions the removal of horse bisquits from time to time and there is no doubt that I can recognize horse $h!t when I see or smell it. I'm particularly aggravated by supposedly educated people who try to convince me to consume it, just because they are full of it. ;)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:56 pm

Joseph Smith knew what a God Damn horse was and when he said/wrote/dictated "horse" he meant Horse. If he meant curelom he woulda said/wrote/dictated "curelom."

Sheesh.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:12 pm

IT_Veteran wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:09 am
I wonder how a bow of fine obsidian would work?
Obsidian doesn't even make good arrow points, it is too brittle. Arrow points and the older Clovis points were more often made of chert, flint, jasper or other hard knappable stone.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:21 am

hiding in plain sight wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:06 am

Truth means feelings.

And on and on we go.
And don't forget, some definitions only change depending on the anatomy the person has. For example: blessing always means blessing and ordain always means ordain as long as the officiator has a penis. If not, then blessing means "prayer of faith" and ordain means "set apart."
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:57 am

There is no way to reconcile this in my mind. It's inconsistent. If God would tell JS about a Curlom (or whatever the word is),...then he could have used the word Tapier. God is God...right?

Or, was God just sending confusing things to 'test our faith'?

You know, I read somewhere that JS rode down the middle of Nauvoo with on his horse with a big cigar in his mouth. He was testing the people to see if they were converted to the gospel or to him.

What a JOKE! What a MOCK! That's like someone saying...don't yell at your child, because that is God's will...then going and yelling at your child to just see if they believed you despite your poor example.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:53 pm

nibbler wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:32 am
A horse is a tapir, of course, of course,
And no one can ride on a tapir of course
That is, of course, unless the tapir is the famous Mr. Peterson

Go right to the source and ask the tapir
He'll give you the answer that the BoM is a caper.
They're lucky the BoM didn't mention a rapier.
Talk to Mr. Peterson.
Hopefully, someone can bring their guitar to the Sunstone Symposium and sing Nibbler's Horse is a Tapir song to the crowd.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha