BoM / Christian conflict ?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Mackman

BoM / Christian conflict ?

Post by Mackman » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:50 am

Ok all you church scholars I have a question :Does the bom conflict with mainstream christianity and I'm. Talking just the bom not the translation, plates or anything else just the book itself ? Another words if a non mormon picked it up say at the library and started reading it do you think anything in there would jump out at them as being non christian , I don't think so but I would like others opinion . Thanks.

wtfluff

Re: BoM / Christian conflict ?

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:23 am

What are there, over 10,000 different "christian" sects?

"Mainstream Christianity" it'self can't decide which version of Jesus is the most correct version to "worship."

Arguing which version of christianity is most correct is much like two kids on the playground telling each other: "My dad can beat up your dad."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:02 am

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:23 am
Arguing which version of christianity is most correct is much like two kids on the playground telling each other: "My dad can beat up your dad."
Or "the tooth fairy likes me better!"

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 am

Some things come to mind:
  1. The Book of Mormon challenges sola scriptura, simply purporting to be scripture regardless of the actual doctrine contained therein is going to be objectionable to some Christians.
  2. The Book of Mormon takes a pretty big swipe at the Bible (1 Ne 13:26-29). This is going to be objectionable to Christians who believe the Bible is inerrant or who at least believe it is the product of divine guidance and curation. It also compounds point #1. Not only do you have something popping up that isn't the Bible claiming to be scripture, it is trying to tell you the Bible is corrupted.
  3. The Book of Mormon can be read as attacking Catholicism specifically or the rest of Christianity generically (1 Ne 14). To be fair this could be taken as apocalyptic in nature rather than a declaration of apostasy, and who knows a protestant may just nod along if they see it as attacking Catholicism. At any rate even if it isn't a guaranteed snag it is a potential one.
  4. The Book of Mormon can be taken as supporting Modalism( Mosiah 15:1-4, Mosiah, 16:15, Alma 11:38-40, 3 Nephi 1:14, Mormon 9:12, Ether 3:14, Ether 4:8,12). Mormons in general tend to be bad at defending the Book of Mormon from this accusation given a lot of us don't grok the distinction between the Trinity and Modalism. I'll be honest, I ripped those scripture references from Mormon Research Ministries, they are biased without a doubt but I'm inclined to think they've a better grasp on how a random Christian my interpret those verses in aggregate than I do.
  5. The Book of Mormon takes some stances on doctrinal debates, by doing this it poses itself to alienate anyone who takes the opposite position. For instance, it takes a pretty firm position on infant baptism (Moroni 8). If our hypothetical Christian believes in infant baptism it'll be taken as a strike against the Book of Mormon.
  6. There are also some landmines that could explode depending on interpretation, for instance a Christian who believes in the supremacy of grace who reads 2 Ne 25:23 and reads it like Modern Mormonism does (you have to do all the works you can and only then you'll be saved) will likely have serious objections. On the other hand if he reads it as a declaration of the insufficiency of works to save and the necessity of grace he may not object.
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:14 am

Creedal Christians would have much less of a problem with the Book of Mormon than later Mormon doctrine.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mad Jax

Post by Mad Jax » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:41 pm

Dravin wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 am
Mormons in general tend to be bad at defending the Book of Mormon from this accusation given a lot of us don't grok the distinction between the Trinity and Modalism.
I should have known such a well informed post would have been made by a Heinlein fan.
Free will is a golden thread flowing through the matrix of fixed events.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:57 am

Dravin wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:25 am
Some things come to mind:
  1. The Book of Mormon challenges sola scriptura, simply purporting to be scripture regardless of the actual doctrine contained therein is going to be objectionable to some Christians.
I recognize that inerrancy of the bible is critical to many Christian denominations. This same attitude is not fully held in Mormonism, particularly in Article of Faith number 8:
We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
Certainly there are a wide range of opinions on inerrancy within Christendom. Would the LDS view of translation errors in the bible be a conflict with more liberal Christian denominations?

In addition, how "inerrant" is the Book of Mormon for most LDS people? Would general authorities, or scholars, or the most fervent lay members consider the Book of Mormon to be equally inerrant?

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:25 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:57 am
In addition, how "inerrant" is the Book of Mormon for most LDS people? Would general authorities, or scholars, or the most fervent lay members consider the Book of Mormon to be equally inerrant?
I'll bet most believers would approach this like they do the infallibility of the prophet: acknowledge that it's not inerrant, but be unable to give specifics. As relatively well-informed believer, I think the most I could have mustered would have been trinitarian language in the original. I would have acknowledged the Book of Ether's dependence on the Tower of Babel myth only if asked specifically about it, because I was trying hard to not think about it.

Scholars have the capacity to acknowledge more errors or anachronisms, but whether they actually do...

General authorities? Geez. No idea.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:15 pm

I think the BoM is anti-Mormon than anti-Christian. It's basically a reference book for early 19th century American Methodism presented in pseudo-biblical language, with some kick-ass adventure stories thrown in to break up the sermons.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Dravin

Post by Dravin » Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Corsair wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:57 am
Certainly there are a wide range of opinions on inerrancy within Christendom. Would the LDS view of translation errors in the bible be a conflict with more liberal Christian denominations?
The LDS view is more than just translation errors, it proposes plain and precious truths have been removed to the point additional scripture is necessary. This is a significant step beyond errors in translation, I don't think you'd have to look to hard to find Christians who agree there are translation (or editing) errors in the Bible, you'll have to look harder to find those who agree it has been basically been hacked on so bad we need additional scripture.
Technically the text of the Book of Mormon itself makes allowances for error, but I think you'd be hard pressed to find GA and the like willing to say this or that Book of Mormon verse was wrong or in error in any significant sense. You can find apologists who'll argue for tapirs instead of horses and of course scholars will freely note the editing that has taken place over the years but I think by and large where the authorities and fervernt lay members are considered the Book of Mormon contains errors in the same way prophets can be wrong. Only technically and on matters of no real consequence (a far as they are concerned).
Hindsight is all well and good... until you trip.