Shinehah=Sun

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Thoughtful

Shinehah=Sun

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Ok, I just cannot with this.

Anyone remember being a kid and speaking "Spanish" by adding "o" or "a" to the end of regular words, throw in a few Spanish words you know here and there, and voila! You now speak Spanish!

This is how JS translated "Adamic". Sun is shiney, I know!! Shine-HAH! Adamic sun was called Shinehah! Perfecto!

Add "hah" to a bunch of other words, voila! Whole new language.

Shinehah is the smoking gun of Mormonism, y'all.

Archimedes

Re: Shinehah=Sun

Post by Archimedes » Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:58 pm

And it came to pass.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:49 pm

Maybe he didn't know his shinehah from Shinola?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

IT_Veteran

Post by IT_Veteran » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:19 am

Thoughtful wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:52 pm

Shinehah is the smoking gun of Mormonism, y'all.
Depending on caliber that’s either the “bangha” or the “pewha”.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:22 am

And that isn’t even the most ridiculous thing in the Book of Abraham, where we learn that
Fig. 5. Is called in Egyptian Enish-go-on-dosh; this is one of the governing planets also, and is said by the Egyptians to be the Sun, and to borrow its light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash, which is the grand Key, or, in other words, the governing power, which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars, as also Floeese or the Moon, the Earth and the Sun in their annual revolutions. This planet receives its power through the medium of Kli-flos-is-es, or Hah-ko-kau-beam, the stars represented by numbers 22 and 23, receiving light from the revolutions of Kolob.
I’m pretty sure most astrophysicists would laugh themselves silly upon hearing that the sun borrows its light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:22 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:22 am
And that isn’t even the most ridiculous thing in the Book of Abraham, where we learn that
Fig. 5. Is called in Egyptian Enish-go-on-dosh; this is one of the governing planets also, and is said by the Egyptians to be the Sun, and to borrow its light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash, which is the grand Key, or, in other words, the governing power, which governs fifteen other fixed planets or stars, as also Floeese or the Moon, the Earth and the Sun in their annual revolutions. This planet receives its power through the medium of Kli-flos-is-es, or Hah-ko-kau-beam, the stars represented by numbers 22 and 23, receiving light from the revolutions of Kolob.
I’m pretty sure most astrophysicists would laugh themselves silly upon hearing that the sun borrows its light from Kolob through the medium of Kae-e-vanrash.
Show that paragraph to *anyone* not involved in the church and they would be beside themselves that *anyone* could believe it.

And yet we were all there once... it's insane thinking back on it.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:31 am

We spend a lot of time pointing out the translation issues with the Book of Abraham. This continues to be appropriate, but we could probably pile on the content of the book. Pointing out Shinehah=Sun is a good start. I like to mention Abraham 1:23
Joseph Smith almost certainly wrote:The land of Egypt being first discovered by a woman, who was the daughter of Ham, and the daughter of Egyptus, which in the Chaldean signifies Egypt, which signifies that which is forbidden;
This is insane. The name "Egyptus" is entirely LDS in origin so I would avoid bringing it up in any scholarly discussion. Even sillier is how this points out Joseph's complete lack of translation skills. The word "Egypt" is actually of Greek origin. Greece and Egypt had lots of commerce in antiquity since it was only a fairly short boat ride between them.

However, the ancient inhabitants of Egypt would have more likely called their land kemet. This translates to "black", referring to the fertile land around the Nile. It's also worth pointing out that Chaldea was a Semitic-speaking nation that existed between the late 10th or early 9th and mid-6th centuries BC. This is long after the purported time of Abraham or Noah.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:00 am

Archimedes wrote:
Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:58 pm
And it came to pass.
And it came to passhah?

Hey! I think I just learned a new language. 8-)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:00 am

There's a perfectly reasonable explanation.

Picture Joseph smith with his head in a hat translating the Book of Mormon to Martin Harris. As he's translating, he starts to get the giggles proudly laughing at himself for easily conning so many people.

As he's laughing, Martin Harris is writing it all down.

Shine-hah
Amonia-hah
Moroni-hah ha uh...
Marry 14 year old girls-hah ha ha.
Become president of the world-hah ha ha.
I AM the GREATEST PROPHET ON EARTH SAVE JESUS-HAH HA HA, ha ha ha ha!

"Ummm, Martin can you delete the last three from the Book of Mormon transcript? But Bro, save them for later dude! Those are some damn good ideas I'll come back to!"
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:18 pm

Its funny to read the Fair Mormon response to the BOA astrophysics interpretations, because they dis on those who would make any interpretations, but offer none of their own. Then you have LDS mag rag putting out articles that say how wonderful the BOA is where you can learn so much about how the universe works!

https://www.fairmormon.org/answers/Book ... /Kolob-Sun
Last edited by RubinHighlander on Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

achilles

Post by achilles » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:36 pm

Of course, as you all well know, the Proto-Indo-European root for sun is sohwl, which is clearly derived from shinehah by a phonological process known as outofmyassification...
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:12 pm

The Adamic language, as revealed by Joseph Smith is pretty goofy too:

God = Ahman
The Son of God = The Son Ahman
Man = Sons Ahman
Angels = Ahman Angls-men (or Anglo-men)

God's language sure has a lot of overlap with Joseph Smith's language. I don't know much about this, but there was an anglo-centric belief floating around in the 19th Century (the British always put themselves in the middle of everything) that the English language is the only true language and evolved from the original Adamic tongue, which was the only one not corrupted at the time of Babel.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:23 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:12 pm
The Adamic language, as revealed by Joseph Smith is pretty goofy too:

God = Ahman
The Son of God = The Son Ahman
Man = Sons Ahman
Angels = Ahman Angls-men (or Anglo-men)

God's language sure has a lot of overlap with Joseph Smith's language. I don't know much about this, but there was an anglo-centric belief floating around in the 19th Century (the British always put themselves in the middle of everything) that the English language is the only true language and evolved from the original Adamic tongue, which was the only one not corrupted at the time of Babel.
The Basque claim that their language is the most pure of all, with no traceable roots in any other language.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque_language