Reason For the Book of Mormon

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Linked

Reason For the Book of Mormon

Post by Linked » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:25 am

"The Book of Mormon was sent to save a dying Christianity"

This is hung up on my parents wall. It's a quote from a talk at the MTC from a couple years ago when they were preparing for a mission. It brings up some questions. How was the Book of Mormon "sent"? Is Christianity dying? How does the Book of Mormon save it?

I think it needs to be fixed. Maybe:

"The Book of Mormon was written to create an all-American religion with some Christian idealogy."

or:

"The Book of Mormon was compiled from various 19th century source material to make some money."
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Corsair

Re: Reason For the Book of Mormon

Post by Corsair » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:41 am

Here is a list of denominations in the Latter Day Saint movement. I counted 88 not including the original organization that Joseph Smith founded. Each of the these groups has some reverence for the Book of Mormon. Perhaps the Book of Mormon is trying to save Christianity by simply making additional organizations that have variants of the doctrine of Jesus Christ. By an evolutionary "survival of the fittest" process of winnowing out the weaker belief groups the strongest will survive and thus perpetuate Christianity in the 21st century!

Of course, this continues to be irrelevant to mainstream Christianity which experienced numerous instances of its own fractures of belief stretching back nearly 2000 years. The Reformation was only one of many attempts to rebuild Christianity. Big church councils of the early centuries were other attempts to hold it together. As far as I can tell, Christianity survives by letting new faith variants spring up wherever some new reformer decides to start a new church. Perhaps the Book of Mormon is just one tiny piece of that process.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:16 am

The Book of Mormon: The rantings of a lunatic with his head in a hat!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:45 am

Linked wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:25 am
That saying would not go over very well with 99.998% of all Christians. Sounds like a combative twist on the mission of restoring the gospel.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:07 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:45 am
Linked wrote:
That saying would not go over very well with 99.998% of all Christians. Sounds like a combative twist on the mission of restoring the gospel.
Yeah, that's a lot of hubris for a small sect of the religion it is claiming to save. It's this kind of attitude I am happy to be free of.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:30 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:07 am
moksha wrote:
Linked wrote:
Yeah, that's a lot of hubris for a small sect of the religion it is claiming to save. It's this kind of attitude I am happy to be free of.
Any chance you can get them to consider showing it to a non-Mormon Christian friend of theirs? "Hey, I'll bet Judy would think this is really interesting."
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:22 pm

Reuben wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:30 pm
Linked wrote:
moksha wrote:

Any chance you can get them to consider showing it to a non-Mormon Christian friend of theirs? "Hey, I'll bet Judy would think this is really interesting."
I'll bet they don't have any non-mormon friends. :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:50 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:22 pm
Reuben wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:30 pm
Linked wrote:

I'll bet they don't have any non-mormon friends. :lol:
My dad is an adult convert, so you would think this quote might give him pause, but I guess not. Also, his appropriateness meter is broken, so he probably would show it to someone, then he would be surprised that they were offended by it.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:39 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:50 pm
My dad is an adult convert, so you would think this quote might give him pause, but I guess not. Also, his appropriateness meter is broken, so he probably would show it to someone, then he would be surprised that they were offended by it.
Ha!

"Mormonism: Breaking people's appropriateness meters since the early 1800's."
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 am

I was at my parent's house again and saw that quote "The Book of Mormon was sent to save a dying Christianity" again, and it got me thinking about the non-LDS mormons. A similar quote can be used for any splinter group, or any change.

"Denver Snuffer was sent to save the dying LDS church."
"NOM was sent to save the dying LDS church."
"Polygamy was revealed to save a dying church."
"Polygamy was banned to save a dying church."

You can put anything in there. But it is only positive to those who believe the thing that was sent is the right thing. So basically, "(Thing I agree with) was sent to save a dying (thing I disagree with)."

What a circle jerk.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Linked wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 am
How about change the quote to state:

"Jesus Christ was sent to save a dying Christianity"

Jesus has a functionally important role in the Book of Mormon, but He keeps getting put at a lower importance behind "Follow the Prophet".

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:35 pm

Corsair wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 pm
Linked wrote:

Jesus has a functionally important role in the Book of Mormon, but He keeps getting put at a lower importance behind "Follow the Prophet".
BOOM

I like it. I may just tape that onto their quote.

Some more:

"Lavender oil was sent to save a dying western medicine."
"Tahitian Noni was sent to save a dying health drink market."
"NuSkin was sent to save a drying face."
"Amway was sent to save a dying capitalism."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:50 pm

Linked wrote:
Corsair wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 pm
Linked wrote:

BOOM

I like it. I may just tape that onto their quote.

Some more:

"Lavender oil was sent to save a dying western medicine."
"Tahitian Noni was sent to save a dying health drink market."
"NuSkin was sent to save a drying face."
"Amway was sent to save a dying capitalism."
ImageImageImage🤣

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:03 pm

I think religions with their own book of scripture have a much better chance of surviving. It is something to rally around and point to as the miracle that is central to their purpose, or in our case, the keystone of their religion. Would Islam exist today without The Koran? Think about what Dianetics did for Scientology. Judaism and Christianity already owned the Bible when Joseph Smith wanted to make a splash so he needed a new point of entry. We still wave the book of Book of Mormon around as the proof of Mormonism's truth We still use emotional responses to it as THE test for knowing that the church is true, even though there really isn't any Mormon doctrine in the book.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:15 pm

Linked wrote:
moksha wrote:
Linked wrote:
Isn't this where we quote Dan Peterson saying, "We didn't start this fight...."???
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:35 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:03 pm
I think religions with their own book of scripture have a much better chance of surviving. It is something to rally around and point to as the miracle that is central to their purpose, or in our case, the keystone of their religion. Would Islam exist today without The Koran? Think about what Dianetics did for Scientology. Judaism and Christianity already owned the Bible when Joseph Smith wanted to make a splash so he needed a new point of entry. We still wave the book of Book of Mormon around as the proof of Mormonism's truth We still use emotional responses to it as THE test for knowing that the church is true, even though there really isn't any Mormon doctrine in the book.
That's a good point.

Now that I see your point I wonder why there aren't more books like that? Or, if there are many, why do the ones that stick around and flourish do so? Perhaps it takes a very rare combination of creativity, charisma, crazy?, and psychopathy, along with a largish group primed to believe it until it gets ingrained in the culture and becomes self-perpetuating.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:06 pm

Linked wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:35 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:03 pm
That's a good point.

Now that I see your point I wonder why there aren't more books like that? Or, if there are many, why do the ones that stick around and flourish do so? Perhaps it takes a very rare combination of creativity, charisma, crazy?, and psychopathy, along with a largish group primed to believe it until it gets ingrained in the culture and becomes self-perpetuating.
Yeah, it requires a prophet, whatever that is. Also, groups just attach themselves to reinterpretations of existing books.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."