What is a non lds mom to think of the break up BSA and the Church?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Raylan Givens

What is a non lds mom to think of the break up BSA and the Church?

Post by Raylan Givens » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 pm

While on a plane with a co-worker, she asked, "what does the separation of the LDS Church with BSA mean?"
She is not LDS, and was hoping that scouts might be a way to bridge the gap between her son and his LDS classmates/neighbors in Morcor.
I told her the program will be more international focused, with a big emphasis in getting the YM ready for missions. I told her too many 18 year olds aren't ready.
I also told her she doesn't need to worry, demongraphics in her area are moving in her favor and the church will probably become more insular and conservative and "silly" as time goes on. Her son's friends will recognize this in a small way. He will learn the lingo at school and will know enough to keep up with his Priesthood Holder friends.

What are your thoughts?
"Ah, you know, I think you use the Bible to do whatever the hell you like" - Raylan Givens

Archimedes

Re: What is a non lds mom to think of the break up BSA and the Church?

Post by Archimedes » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:21 pm

A non Mormon person is not going to want to be involved in the church version of scouting, which is essentially an amped up Faith in God program with camping.

Are there any real BSA troops that are not LDS left in the MoCor? For a non member interested in scouting that would be the place to start.

Why does this lady want her kids chumming with the Mormon kids? They are just as likely to get mixed up in drugs and alcohol with the Mormon kids as with the gentiles.

Plus the real reason for the LDS quitting the BSA is that they hate homosexuals and will not affiliate with a group that is inclusive of LGBTQ folks. Does your co worker want her kids hanging around with Mo kids in a program that is by definition bigoted? Do her a favor and warn your co worker away from the tire fire that the LDS scouting program is becoming.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:43 am

We have a couple of non-LDS young men in my ward scout troop. They will inevitably be going elsewhere. A couple of young men may try to finish up their Eagle, but the enthusiasm for scouting has left my stake like a car tire with a slow leak. No one really wants to replace the scouting tire with a brand new version. Better to just ride out the next year and a half on the cheap, donut spare in anticipation of the shiny new "Faith in God with Optional Camping" that will appear with great revelatory fanfare in January 2020.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Raylan Givens wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 pm
...the church will probably become more insular and conservative and "silly" as time goes on.
While that may be an ideal situation for some ultra TBM members, it inches us closer to the time when fear of the outside will encourage young Mormon men to strap on bombs and wander into a crowd for the promised 72 celestial-wives in spirit paradise.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

No Tof

Post by No Tof » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:25 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:19 pm
[quote="Raylan Givens" post_id=42876 time=<a href="tel:1531195759">1531195759</a> user_id=534]
...the church will probably become more insular and conservative and "silly" as time goes on.
While that may be an ideal situation for some ultra TBM members, it inches us closer to the time when fear of the outside will encourage young Mormon men to strap on bombs and wander into a crowd for the promised 72 celestial-wives in spirit paradise.
[/quote]

Bomb scouts of America.

Chilling mental image.

Here in the true north strong and free, scouting has always been rather hit and miss. The YMs program has limped along well enough without scouting and I imagine it will do so for you too. There will still be a strong motivation for the youth to bring their friend to Christ so the non Mormon mom should be wary. IMHO
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:00 am

I actually don't think that the disassociation from BSA had much to do with allowing gays and girls in. I have spent a lot of time in scouting over the years, and I found that a huge source of problems with LDS scouting was the lack of commitment from the church to scouting. I think the only reason Mormon scouting lasted as long as it did was because of TSM's adoration of scouting. I think the disassociation was able to happen because of TSM passing on. Somebody's death is usually the reason progress is made in the church.

Yes, I know it's morbid. Sorry.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:54 pm

blazerb wrote:
Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:00 am
I think the only reason Mormon scouting lasted as long as it did was because of TSM's adoration of scouting. I think the disassociation was able to happen because of TSM passing on. Somebody's death is usually the reason progress is made in the church.

Yes, I know it's morbid. Sorry.
Weird. That's how it tends to work in science, too.
Eine neue wissenschaftliche Wahrheit pflegt sich nicht in der Weise durchzusetzen, daß ihre Gegner überzeugt werden und sich als belehrt erklären, sondern vielmehr dadurch, daß ihre Gegner allmählich aussterben und daß die heranwachsende Generation von vornherein mit der Wahrheit vertraut gemacht ist.

A new scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die, and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

Max Planck
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:14 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:19 pm
I see the new Stripling Warriors all amped up on spiritual juice boxes as more a pack of Brown Shirts. You know, going around in groups and beating the shit out of people who are not carrying the proper ID and Worthiness Verification paperwork.

PS, You don't have to blow yourself up to get the 72 virgins in Mormon theology.

Yours truly,

Arch.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster