Juggling World Views

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Juggling World Views

Post by deacon blues » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:15 am

I have a propensity to try and understand the other person's point of view. This has helped me see things many don't see, but it has also gotten me in trouble. And it takes time and effort to examine and understand why there are some many different world views out there. It's fun, but i barely scratch the surface. Do you spend much time studying Materialism, Theism, Deism, Pantheism, Humanism, and their various subdivisions? Do you still have time for your job and/or family?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

redjay

Re: Juggling World Views

Post by redjay » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:40 am

I'm balls to the wall busy just trying to do very basics. No time left for metaphysics. And no guilt about it too. One day perhaps. My oldest child was on a buddhist retreat not so long ago. He said he found it transformational. After mormonism he thought he was dead inside, but his trip away awoke something spiritual - I was happy for him, but that's not for me just now.
At the halfway home. I'm a full-grown man. But I'm not afraid to cry.

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:50 am

I spend a lot of time at the computer grading, and updating websites etc. I like to listen to podcasts, audio books, and other lectures while I am working. There is so much out there it is hard to know where to begin - but I do love listening and exploring where I can. I have recently been really enjoying and repeatedly listening to
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWsKQ4nEQIM
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC0FW407FVs

I am really falling in love with the idea of reincarnation. One of my big frustrations is the lack of justice and inequality in the world - reincarnation solves this for me. Reincarnation puts everyone on the same field - if we all experience the same lives, have the same foundation - if we each have the opportunity to experience all the different forms of life, and all the different ways of life - that is the best way to learn everything we need I think - with the very last life being the one where we come to find peace and joy in everything, I love that concept. Reincarnation means everyone would have the same background, the same education, the same foundation by the end which means the test and choices for all of us would be equaled out, and that gives me great peace of mind.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:31 am

I listen to a few podcasts. I have more time now that my calling is much less burdensome. I don't have much interest in listening to a lot of "spiritual" leaders. I am just beginning to trust my own moral judgement again.

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm

I've just accepted that people believe all sorts of myths, but that nobody knows. That if there was proof for any of these, it wouldn't be much of a debate.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm

Since I spent more than half my life stuffing my square-ish self in to a round-ish magical/mystical/supernatural world view, I'm more interested at this point in science and skepticism. Most of my "study" in this area is podcasts, and "books on tape".

While I still listen to (ex)mormon/religious podcasts to try and untangle my brain, I tend to spend more time on the other side. "The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe", and "You are not so smart" podcasts being my favorites at the moment.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...