Orrin Hatch is the keeper of the sacred artifacts

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Orrin Hatch is the keeper of the sacred artifacts

Post by Hagoth » Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:00 pm

Hatch is seen here demonstrating why there seem to be no actual eye witnesses to the Urim and Thummim:

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

achilles

Re: Orrin Hatch is the keeper of the sacred artifacts

Post by achilles » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:10 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 2:00 pm
Hatch is seen here demonstrating why there seem to be no actual eye witnesses to the Urim and Thummim:

Orrin has done so many despicable things the past few years that I can't even laugh at this. All I feel is...is it hatred? I hate that I feel like that. But I'd really like to kick him right in the testicles.
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:56 pm

Orrin Hatch. What a tool.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:30 am

Good thing Hatch does not wear a hat. He may have injured himself putting it on without first removing the seer stone.

I loved that clip when it first came out, but I can't help but wonder if such antics are in our future as we too age.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:01 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:30 am
Good thing Hatch does not wear a hat. He may have injured himself putting it on without first removing the seer stone.

I loved that clip when it first came out, but I can't help but wonder if such antics are in our future as we too age.
Probably. But I don't intend to be in public office at that time.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 am

I will always think of the Clinton Impeachment when I see Hatch. Put everything about Bill Clinton and Impeachment aside for a second - it was Hatch, in the Senate, who first floated the unique idea of "censure". Censure isn't a thing, as far as I understand. So here is this very conservative Senator from the safest state in the country, with nothing to fear politically, and he throws Clinton a lifeline? Made no sense at all. Unless... someone had the goods on Hatch. I think he has every politician's dirt under his fingernails, from crooked backroom deals to women and sleeze, and the Clintons had him.
I am 100% pulling this out of my Curelom, but it reeked when it happened and always made me think he's just another sleeze.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Jul 30, 2018 10:54 am

Yobispo wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:03 am
I will always think of the Clinton Impeachment when I see Hatch. Put everything about Bill Clinton and Impeachment aside for a second - it was Hatch, in the Senate, who first floated the unique idea of "censure". Censure isn't a thing, as far as I understand. So here is this very conservative Senator from the safest state in the country, with nothing to fear politically, and he throws Clinton a lifeline? Made no sense at all. Unless... someone had the goods on Hatch. I think he has every politician's dirt under his fingernails, from crooked backroom deals to women and sleeze, and the Clintons had him.
I am 100% pulling this out of my Curelom, but it reeked when it happened and always made me think he's just another sleeze.

Anybody who could be taken in by Ted Kennedy like Hatch was had to get some serious slime on himself.

Total dupe....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:55 pm

Censure has been used in the US since the administration of George Washington. Alexander Hamilton was censured when he was Secretary of the Treasury. Ted Kennedy befriended Hatch during his freshman term after Hatch had been voted the most hated man in the Senate. It was a good deed on Kennedy's part.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:22 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:30 am

Oh, he's been wearing a hat for many years, especially as a senator.

“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:00 pm

History Bird wrote:
Mon Jul 30, 2018 11:55 pm
Ted Kennedy befriended Hatch during his freshman term after Hatch had been voted the most hated man in the Senate. It was a good deed on Kennedy's part.
Saying how awful Washington politicians are was the surefire stuff of a Utah political stump speech back in the 70's. What Orin Hatch did not consider was how saying the same thing on the Senate Floor would make his fellow Senators feel as though Orin had besmirched their honor. Apparently, those Senators had not taken the oath of vengeance against the United States in their so-called "Christian" ceremonies. Orin was just ahead of his time, since later on America would elect an orange colored President who would say the same thing about Congress and many others.
-- Moksha