Another old book connecting the Native Americans to Hebrews

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Yobispo

Another old book connecting the Native Americans to Hebrews

Post by Yobispo » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:01 am

I posted this over on the other interweb place, but thought you fine people might be interested.

"The Natural and Aboriginal History of Tennessee" https://archive.org/details/naturalaborigina00hayw

It was published in 1823 and was quite popular. Check out the description of Chapter X, then check out that chapter. It asserts that the similarities between some native american cultural practices with the Hebrews are evidence that the native Americans came from the old world and were still passing down Mosaic ideas and customs.

Just one more book that was promoting the idea that native Americans were descendants of Israel. Not as unique of an idea as we were told.

Hagoth

Re: Another old book connecting the Native Americans to Hebrews

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Thanks Yobispo, great find. From many resources I have come to realize that the Book of Mormon was not a surprise to anyone, as some apologists would have us believe. Joseph Smith was just telling the story that pretty much everybody he encountered already believed. He even gives pretty good descriptions of the Iroquois (shaved heads, red face paint, loin cloths) and the design of their defensive structures (perimeter ditch with the dirt piled up on the inside and a palisade of sharpened poles build in top of it with parapets for throwing stones and shooting arrows down at invaders) in his descriptions of Laminates.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

FiveFingerMnemonic

Re: Another old book connecting the Native Americans to Hebrews

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:10 pm

I served a mission in the South and we used to visit the old indian mound type land features and make that connection. Not surprised another book came forth from the 19th century based on that theme.