The scriptures hold the answers to MOST of life's problems.

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
LostMormon

The scriptures hold the answers to MOST of life's problems.

Post by LostMormon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:44 pm

First, we want the students to have confidence in the strength and truths of the scriptures, confidence that their Heavenly Father is really speaking to them through the scriptures, and confidence that they can turn to the scriptures and find answers to their problems and their prayers. That is one kind of confidence I would hope you give your students, and you can give it to them if you show them daily, hourly, that you trust in the scriptures just that way. Show them that you yourself are confident that the scriptures hold the answers to many—indeed most—of life’s problems. - Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Howard W. Hunter, 2015

In EQ today the above quote was cited, with the question "what problem have you had answered by scriptures" all the blank stares, and lack of initial response told me, that most people were thinking the same thing I was, "uh none". Some did eventually chime in with such things as depression or when they needed some sort of emotional comforting, which I don't really understand other than maybe a belief in a higher power would give you some sort of hope that things will get better, but how does war after war, and a story of god's dealings with ancient people in america give you emotional support?

Howard W Hunter teaches us, that indeed the scriptures hold the answers to MOST of life's problems, so why is it that we all had such a hard time coming up with an answer? I have never understood why the story of Lehi and his family leaving jerusalem has the answer to most of life's problems.

Just the other day I had a problem of my check engine light going on and off, after a little research, I found it was a faulty gas cap. Sorry, but I don't remember reading anything about Nephi having problems with a check engine light, in fact I still can't think of an instance where I have found an answer to any problem in the scriptures. Help me out here, what problems have you had answered by the scriptures?

mooseman

Re: The scriptures hold the answers to MOST of life's problems.

Post by mooseman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:48 pm

" I have never understood why the story of Lehi and his family leaving Jerusalem has the answer to most of life's problems."

let's see.....run away from your problems?
Last edited by mooseman on Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:37 pm

That's funny. I heard a very similar line from one of the speakers in sm today. There is a big push to read the BoM every day and find answers to our problems. It is so awesome because it was written for our day. Don't you know!?

Some quotes were shared about how your kids would behave, your life would be so full of the spirit, and by golly all your problems basically go away when you read the BoM daily with your family. It's just like magic.

Even in my believing days I rarely if ever found answers to my problems/questions from the scriptures.

achilles

Post by achilles » Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:29 pm

Batman wrote:That's funny. I heard a very similar line from one of the speakers in sm today. There is a big push to read the BoM every day and find answers to our problems. It is so awesome because it was written for our day. Don't you know!?
How does it go...when all you have is a hammer everything starts to look like a nail...
“For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.”

― Carl Sagan

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:43 am

If we added the Desiderata and the Serenity Prayer to the LDS Canon, we would have some insightful guidelines to follow.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:25 am

moksha wrote:If we added the Desiderata and the Serenity Prayer to the LDS Canon, we would have some insightful guidelines to follow.
If we simply put a thorough study of Job and Ecclesiastes into the curriculum of Elder's quorum I might start paying tithing again. Correlation has removed the most interesting parts of studying the scriptures.

dareka

Post by dareka » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:09 am

There was the time I couldn't get to sleep, so I started reading scriptures. I was out in no time at all. That's the only solution to life's problems I can remember getting from the scriptures.

Korihor

Post by Korihor » Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:42 am

We are on the same lesson schedule as you, and I remember reading that same passage in the manual thinking to myself "the scriptures dont solve any problems. Ideally, it's just a reminder to love god and others and act nice to people. Even with only that basic message, it's rather nebulous.

Such an utter waste of my life. I am so tired and and so pissed off that so much of my life was and continues to be consumed by this nonsense.
Reading can severely damage your ignorance.

didyoumythme

Post by didyoumythme » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:54 pm

I can't think of anything the scriptures have done for me except remove the guilt I was conditioned to feel if I didn't read them.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease being honest, or cease being mistaken. - Anonymous

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:04 pm

didyoumythme wrote:I can't think of anything the scriptures have done for me except remove the guilt I was conditioned to feel if I didn't read them.
They've done a lot for me. For instance, they're just the right thickness to rest my front tire on so my bike will be level on the trainer.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:22 pm

You can learn that genocide is sometimes OK. You can learn that medicine and counseling isn't really needed if you have faith.

In my opinion, what scriptures do for people is it makes them feel good about reading them. And that is hard because it is so tedious to do. So you feel accomplished and disciplined and that you deserve good things to happen to you that day. Such a positive mental attitude can indeed make your day brighter.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

well wandered

Post by well wandered » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:36 am

Not usually, but sometimes I found some verses here or there inspiring, especially when the context was immediately relevant.

Almost never as far as sitting down and reading for answers went, so it's fair to question if it was really worth what was probably thousands of hours spent over a few decades. Maybe it's just a helpful way in the day or week for people to get into a mindful, introspective state of mind. It did kind of feel like waking up from a nap sometimes after finishing reading them (maybe because I was literally about to fall asleep).

For me there is still value in remembering some good points at opportune times. For example, long suffering and gentleness and meekness and love unfeigned- when I need to take a step back. For comfort especially, no question people can find phrases and big picture reminders there sometimes. If it helps someone keep their chin up or have a more positive take, then its answering the most urgent questions.

Not trying to be a contrarian, just wanted to share a different viewpoint.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Dec 01, 2016 9:01 am

well wandered wrote:For me there is still value in remembering some good points at opportune times. For example, long suffering and gentleness and meekness and love unfeigned- when I need to take a step back. For comfort especially, no question people can find phrases and big picture reminders there sometimes. If it helps someone keep their chin up or have a more positive take, then its answering the most urgent questions.

Not trying to be a contrarian, just wanted to share a different viewpoint.
Your opinion is quite welcome. I think we would agree with this sentiment far more if the LDS lesson manuals let the scriptures speak for themselves without the thorough filtering and contextualization forced onto it by the correlation department. The scriptures don't get to present themselves with a full historical and philosophical context. Mormons (and a lot of religious people in general) read their scriptures like they are brushing their teeth. Do it just enough to be able to know you did it, but not so much that you truly understand what is going on.

Here's a project proposal for a grad student at BYU that will be fascinating but suspiciously unwelcome by their advising committee. Compile a list of every single scriptural reference on lds.org and make a map of scriptures in the LDS canon that are never mentioned. Develop a doctrinal synthesis of those passages and come up with what the philosophy and ideas of those passages looks like. How do and don't they fit within an LDS context?

The a priori, faithful interpretation of this thesis will be that the living prophets have already let us know where we should be spending our time. We don't need to worry about the philosophical discussions of the "problem of evil and suffering" in Job, or the suspiciously atheist direction of much of Ecclesiastes. Certain sections of Paul's writings will quickly point out his cultural distrust of women but his acceptance of slavery. A couple of glaring contradictions will show up in the Book of Mormon while the D&C will show both nutty speculation and annoying banality.

The scriptures just might hold more answers to life's problems than we have ever conceived. But religious people generally, and Mormons specifically, won't enjoy many of the answers.