New Gospel Topic Essays?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

New Gospel Topic Essays?

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:54 am

I heard a rumor there are some new gospel topic essays.

I can't address this because I haven't paid attention anyway. Are there some new things out there?...and if so, what is your general opinion of them?

Thoughtful

Re: New Gospel Topic Essays?

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:18 pm

Following...

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm

https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/conte ... gel-moroni

Not sure if these are them but I read about them on reddit

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:04 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:45 pm
https://www.lds.org/languages/eng/conte ... gel-moroni

Not sure if these are them but I read about them on reddit
Barfff..."JS is consistent, but other people aren't". The whole narrative relies on defaming anyone else as inconsistent, anti-mormon, confused, unreliable. JS is always reliable and consistent and righteous. We will discredit a million people before we look at Occam's razor, won't we?

JS is the liar, other people's "inconsistencies" are recordings of his constantly changing story and constantly warping narrative to keep himself in power.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:15 pm

They are being a little obscure in not giving actual dates for some of the writings of Mulholland. Maybe they don't actually know? I'm thinking they know more than they're saying...

Mulholland begins writing Joseph's history in 1839 and uses the name "Nephi" as the angel who appeared to show him the plates. The name is apparently used in several publications in the early 1840's. Joseph died in 1844. So during that four years he could have corrected the record numerous times I would think.

As has been mentioned, let all others be damned as long as Joseph is preserved. Pretty sad.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:06 am

It appears that these are called "Church History Topics." Is that what others are seeing? They are even harder to find that the gospel topics essays. The most controversial aspects of the issues are not brought up. I found the "Revelations in Context" to be somewhat better, but they did not include all the relevant information.

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 am

AHA....so there might be something out there.

You know, I was blown away when I read about some of this history-rewriting of Ron Hubbard. Scientologists go to great lengths to preserve the narrative.

IT BLOWS ME AWAY THE LDS CHURCH DOES THE SAME FOR OLD BRO JOE.

BriansThoughtMirror

Post by BriansThoughtMirror » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:22 pm

Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 am
I was blown away when I read about some of this history-rewriting of Ron Hubbard.
Not to hijack, but that sounds interesting! What did you read?
Reflections From Brian's Brain
https://briansthoughtmirror.wordpress.com/

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:16 pm

BriansThoughtMirror wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:22 pm
Rob4Hope wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 am
I was blown away when I read about some of this history-rewriting of Ron Hubbard.
Not to hijack, but that sounds interesting! What did you read?
Scientologists make Ron Hubbard out to be an incredible man--filled with integrity, poise, leadership and just down-right brilliance. The historical record is far from that. He couldn't keep a job, he almost started a WAR!...and he was basically a creep.

The Scientologists paint the picture of the man a little differently than the history paints it. The comparisons to the same tactic with LDS TBMs and JS, at least to my mind, were unmistakable.