Pope Francis Does What President Nelson Would Never Do

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Not Buying It

Pope Francis Does What President Nelson Would Never Do

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:56 am

Has anyone else seen this video of Pope Francis comforting a child whose atheist father had died?

https://www.facebook.com/NowThisNews/vi ... 809361432/

Can you imagine President Nelson in this situation? I am sure President Nelson would have been kind, but can you in a million years imagine him saying that God would allow a non-believing father into the Celestial Kingdom without choosing to accept the Church and receiving the priesthood ordinances? Not in 10 million years would President Nelson say anything that might compromise the chokehold the Church pretends to have on who gets into heaven, while Pope Francis said it best:
He was an atheist...He was a good man...It is God who decides who goes to heaven, but how is God's heart in front of a father like that?...God has a Dad's Heart...do you think that God could leave him far from him?
However kind President Nelson may be in person, I cannot imagine him answering a question like this with as much, grace, compassion, and concern, and without the need the emphasize the Church's role in determining who gets into "heaven". At best he would talk about the importance of the atheist father having the opportunity to accept the Gospel in the Spirit World and receive the ordinances of salvation by proxy in "the holy temple".
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Rob4Hope

Re: Pope Francis Does What President Nelson Would Never Do

Post by Rob4Hope » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:33 am

LDS theology is psychitzophrenic. The BoM (which the LDS church seems to use ONLY for proof-texting purposes) says EVERYONE is taken home to that God who gave them life. Its at that point a division is made.....which is something Pope Francis was gracious and loving about.

I agree. I don't think Nelson would have been as kind scripturally. He would have emphasized that there is still a LOT of repenting this man would need to do to avoid hell. But, that is was likely that his eternal salvation (as in Celestial) was gone forever....

Gatorbait

Post by Gatorbait » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:44 pm

Wow. Thanks for sharing that beautiful message. Wow. I needed that.

When my grown children were around me last Christmas, and a few of them are TBMs, I told them that this Pope is something special. He is the real deal. He is the ambassador to the world that Christians can be good people and that Atheists can be just as good. We are lucky to see this man my friends. To hear him and watch him. He is a special human person. There is no doubt in my mind about that.

Do I compare him to Nelson? There is nothing to compare. Both are good men, but one is leading a corporation and one is leading the world and showing the world that good that can come of loving and forgiving and not giving up and especially not shutting people out.

Thanks again for sharing.
"Let no man count himself righteous who permits a wrong he could avert". N.N. Riddell

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:41 pm

I think there are elements of Pope Francis' thinking within the Mormon Church, but not necessarily within the Church leadership.

Meeting directly with people in this manner is a Pope Francis thing. Pope Francis likes meeting people and helping the downtrodden. Pretty sure top LDS Church officials would be very uncomfortable for President Nelson to be in that situation.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:33 am

Gatorbait wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:44 pm
Wow. Thanks for sharing that beautiful message. Wow. I needed that.

When my grown children were around me last Christmas, and a few of them are TBMs, I told them that this Pope is something special. He is the real deal. He is the ambassador to the world that Christians can be good people and that Atheists can be just as good. We are lucky to see this man my friends. To hear him and watch him. He is a special human person. There is no doubt in my mind about that.

Do I compare him to Nelson? There is nothing to compare. Both are good men, but one is leading a corporation and one is leading the world and showing the world that good that can come of loving and forgiving and not giving up and especially not shutting people out.

Thanks again for sharing.
Amen!!! I love Pope Francis!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound