Pendelum shifts away from Mormon

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Arcturus

Re: Pendelum shifts away from Mormon

Post by Arcturus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:03 pm

https://www.ldschurchnews.com/leaders-a ... tion-47802

What's also really sad is to think about the hundreds of thousands of people who adore Pres Nelson and give special attention to every word he speaks. And of all the s*** happening in the world and the things he could say to encourage orthodox Mormons to make the world a better place, he chooses to bring attention to this.

Prophet, or out-of-touch geriatric?
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Arcturus

Post by Arcturus » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:10 pm

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... 0c7fd6fa04
“The Lord has impressed upon my mind the importance of the name He has revealed for His Church, even The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints,” Nelson said in a statement. “We have work before us to bring ourselves in harmony with His will.”
When is the Mormon Lord going to impress upon the mind of his prophets to announce to LDS families, at least once, that Jesus does not approve of families kicking their kids out of their homes and onto the streets for being gay? It's an interesting agenda that God has for revealing his will and impressing the mind of his one and only true prophet(s)...
“How valuable is a faith that is dependent on the maintenance of ignorance? If faith can only thrive in the absence of the knowledge of its origins, history, and competing theological concepts, then what is it we really have to hold on to?”
D Brisbin

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:46 pm

Posting for and behalf of Corsair because my photoshop skills are dead!

“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:47 pm

In the mid/late 90's, Hinkly made a push for roughly the same thing. Even talked about it in conference. After a few months, it was completely forgotten about by event he members and everything went back to status quo.

I give this 6 months before it is completely forgotten about., and that is being generous.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:13 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:47 pm
In the mid/late 90's, Hinkly made a push for roughly the same thing. Even talked about it in conference. After a few months, it was completely forgotten about by event he members and everything went back to status quo.

I give this 6 months before it is completely forgotten about., and that is being generous.
I could imagine that this is not forgotten soon. There are rumors that the church will change the name of MoTab, even. I could imagine an effort to rid all official terminology of the work "Mormon." Of course, this will mean that the effort continues to be embarrassing for years to come. I have no idea what they'll call "Mormonads," though. "Even the Church of Jesus Christ ads"?

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:02 pm

Well, they made a major news outlet.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2018/08/17/us/m ... index.html

I'm sure everyone will fall in line now and stop using the term Mormon incorrectly. I'm so relieved. That term has gotten on my nerves for years. 😴
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:05 pm

On a related note, do any of you who know Bill Reel know the status of the church's complaint about his use of the word "Mormon" in the title of his podcast?

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:36 pm

Remember when Kentucky Fried Chicken rebranded to KFC. The shorter name worked and people forgot about the fried part. The name of the church is annoyingly long. Needs to be shorter to catch on to this change.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:08 am

Outside of Utah, where the label of being "a Mormon" is disadvantageous, going with an unknown neutral name might be for the best. Since the full title of the Church is very cumbersome, members and missionaries could simply say they were COJCOLDS (pronounced codge colds).

Hope that helps.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

moksha wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 12:08 am
Outside of Utah, where the label of being "a Mormon" is disadvantageous, going with an unknown neutral name might be for the best. Since the full title of the Church is very cumbersome, members and missionaries could simply say they were COJCOLDS (pronounced codge colds).

Hope that helps.
That's a great idea. We should start now.

My wife and children attend the Cojcolds. I'm still technically a member of the Cojcolds. I don't believe in the Rgojc.

Hmmm. It could grow on me.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:58 am

Bumper sticker idea: I'm not a member of The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. I'm just a Mormon.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:03 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Which would be particularly ironic considering that Nelson has tried to make people believe that this time it was revelation.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:09 am

blazerb wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:05 pm
On a related note, do any of you who know Bill Reel know the status of the church's complaint about his use of the word "Mormon" in the title of his podcast?
They want to have their cake and eat it too. I wonder if one reason for this "revelation" is that Mormon Stories, Mormon Discussion, Mormon Expression, Naked Momronism, etc. are really making a lot of headway and this is the one little piece of power the church has to try to push them a little bit farther into danger territory in members' eyes. If they still keep the word Mormon in their title they are easily spotted as Anti-Even The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ mobsters. Acceptance of the word Mormon is now the gateway drug to anti-Mormonism.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:30 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:03 am
Just This Guy wrote:
Which would be particularly ironic considering that Nelson has tried to make people believe that this time it was revelation.
Revelation by focus group - what a time to be alive!

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:01 am

blazerb wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:13 pm
Just This Guy wrote:

I could imagine that this is not forgotten soon. There are rumors that the church will change the name of MoTab, even. I could imagine an effort to rid all official terminology of the work "Mormon." Of course, this will mean that the effort continues to be embarrassing for years to come. I have no idea what they'll call "Mormonads," though. "Even the Church of Jesus Christ ads"?
Another way to look at it: Russ Nelson is OLD.

He could actually be (even) dead in 6 months, and then Codge-Cold members will easily forget about his re-branding efforts (and hopefully his bigotry revelations.)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:26 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:21 pm
The church has always had a branding problem with its name. Like those 4 years in the 1830s when it had to abandon the name of Jesus Christ because so many other frontier restoration sects already claimed "the church of Jesus Christ". They were forced to go contrary to the BOM and just simplify to "the church of latter day saints".
I’m trying to think of the various names of the church:
1) 1830s: Church is Christ
2) 1830s: Church of Latter Day Saints
3) 1830s: The church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
4) 1923?: The Corporation of the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I believe this is the current name today. All the effort to call the church by its real name, and they aren’t even using the real name anyway.
~2bizE

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:31 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:35 pm

Maybe they should have Kirton|McKonkie write up a "Proclamation on Trademarks™ and Branding" and the 1st Prezidency can sign their names to it and canonize it.

I'm not so sure Russ really thought this one through...
Lol.

Looks like Fox news isn't following Russ's orders. If Fox News won't obey, things don't look good.
https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2 ... s.amp.html