Seminary students will learn that the POX is revelation this year

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Reuben

Seminary students will learn that the POX is revelation this year

Post by Reuben » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:48 am

https://wheatandtares.org/2018/08/16/fo ... evelation/

I've worked through being angry now, and have moved on to mitigation strategies. I don't have too much yet, aside from giving my kids the background Mary Ann brings up in her post.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

hiding in plain sight

Re: Seminary students will learn that the POX is revelation this year

Post by hiding in plain sight » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:05 pm

Its funny that Russell Marion Nelson, Senior's description of revelation looks exactly like what happens to me about work.

I think through problems. Consider alternatives. And many times, in the middle of the night inspiration hits me and I feel comfortable to move forward.

But I am pretty sure it isn't God and it is my very natural mind and subconscious at work.

As a physician, I am really surprised he can't see that what he is describing is very human and not reserved to a group of 15 old white men.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:16 pm

Please tell me that was a parody.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:05 pm

When will this lesson be taught? Will this be just a one morning ordeal, or is it an entire unit? ... I would like to remove my kids from seminary the morning it is taught :(
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 pm

I'd love to see kids organize a walkout.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:52 pm

I think that Mary Ann is half right and that through diligent study of the NOM 2.0 Doctrinal Discussion forum she can gain a fullness of understanding. Anyway, here is a nutshell version: In June of 2015 the SCOTUS handed down their decision in the Obergefell v. Hodges case in favor of equal access to marriage for same-sex couples. The Brethren were shocked and entered into a period of retributional skulking and snarling. In November 2015 it was discovered that they had plotted revenge against same-sex couples by excluding their children from the COJCOLDS (formerly known as the Mormon Church). In January 2016 Elder Nelson announced, at a BYU-Hawaii talk, that this exclusionary reaction stemmed from a revelation.

Hope that helps clear up any confusion in the Wheat and Tares story section.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:16 am

moksha wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:52 pm
In January 2016 Elder Nelson announced, at a BYU-Hawaii talk, that this exclusionary reaction stemmed from a revelation.
See how the church keeps painting itself into historical corners ? What will they do 20 years down the road, when they will be forced to admit that LGBTQ people should not be discriminated against? It will be tough to spin the old "Elder Nelson was speaking as a man" now that this foolishness has been canonized.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:31 am

This is stupid if you want to retain youth who know and like gay friends. They will now wonder how a “revelation” could be so bigoted and mean.

On the other hand, if your goal is to develop a core following of zealots among youth and scare away reasonable youth, then it’s a brilliant strategy.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:04 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:31 am
On the other hand, if your goal is to develop a core following of zealots among youth and scare away reasonable youth, then it’s a brilliant strategy.
It's either a brilliant strategy, or the Law of Unintended Consequences in operation again... either way the result is the same - further alienation of youth who already have enough cognitive dissonance to deal with.

-- unknown reddit poster

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:31 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:36 pm
Teaching about this hateful policy, which later became a revelation, will start the seeds of cognitive dissonance rolling for those seminary students with a conscience.

The Brethren's distaste for different sexual preferences is a generational thing which most younger people do not share. In the film musical South Pacific, the observation was made that you have to be carefully taught to hate. Can the Church turn these young people to the dark side with their teachings or will it backfire on them when these young people refuse to accept this hatred?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

StarbucksMom

Post by StarbucksMom » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:00 pm

moksha wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:31 pm
The Brethren's distaste for different sexual preferences is a generational thing which most younger people do not share. In the film musical South Pacific, the observation was made that you have to be carefully taught to hate. Can the Church turn these young people to the dark side with their teachings or will it backfire on them when these young people refuse to accept this hatred?
This will backfire. I seriously don't get how the 15 could be so stupid. They really are living in an isolated bubble. And they are so high on their power that they think they can win over the youth to leader worship by convincing them of BS "modern revelation." This is nothing but hate/bigotry/revenge from really old power hungry morons. They are going to potentially cause more youth suicides by bringing this up again. This is unexcusable.
And drawing more atrention to it will drive youth away in droves. May be gradual, but it will happen.
Hagoth wrote:
ME TOO. Someone who's good at getting the word out needs to get on this ASAP. I'm being completely serious when I say lives are at stake here.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:38 am

I would imagine many or most large companies and corporations, not to mention other churches, receive "revelation" in a very similar manner to the LDS Church. I'm curious about the POX abbreviation. How does it represent the Nov. policy?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:33 am

deacon blues wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:38 am
I'm curious about the POX abbreviation. How does it represent the Nov. policy?
Policy On eXclusion.

Or: Proclamation Of eXclusion?

Russ Nelson turned it into revelation, so I guess it has to be a Proclamation, not a Policy...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:53 am

StarbucksMom wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:00 pm
moksha wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:31 pm
This will backfire. I seriously don't get how the 15 could be so stupid. They really are living in an isolated bubble. And they are so high on their power that they think they can win over the youth to leader worship by convincing them of BS "modern revelation." This is nothing but hate/bigotry/revenge from really old power hungry morons. They are going to potentially cause more youth suicides by bringing this up again. This is unexcusable.
And drawing more atrention to it will drive youth away in droves. May be gradual, but it will happen.
Hagoth wrote:
ME TOO. Someone who's good at getting the word out needs to get on this ASAP. I'm being completely serious when I say lives are at stake here.
We need to figure out approximately when this lesson comes up during the seminary year.
We need to unite the whole DAMU.
We need to bombard social media with love messages and links to the truth about POX every time this lesson comes around.

I literally can't believe they are doing this. The whole POX policy is just pure f&$king evil. But then to force feed it to the demographic that is experiencing a suicide epidemic?!?!?! WHAT THE ACTUAL F&$k!!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:02 pm

If all 15 GA's agreed, anything could be revelation. :o Imagine the possibilities: earrings, white shirts and ties, shopping malls, the possibilities are endless. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.