New RFM Podcast on Church History Interview

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
consiglieri

New RFM Podcast on Church History Interview

Post by consiglieri » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:19 am

Bill Reel and Radio Free Mormon just posted a two-part discussion of the recent interview with Stephen Harper of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints History Department posted on the (now inaccurately named) Mormon Channel on the (now inaccurately named) lds.org.

The interviewed is titled, “How to Find Answers to Questions about Church History.”

Interestingly, that is the one subject the 25-minute interview seems to avoid at all costs.

The analysis of the 25-minute interview runs about three hours, including the interview, conveniently broken down for your listening pleasure into two podcasts.

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... er-part-1/

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... er-part-2/

Enjoy!

RFM

Yobispo

Re: New RFM Podcast on Church History Interview

Post by Yobispo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Another great smack-down, and Bill even uses potty language.

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 pm

I’m through the first one so far, great listen. I had to make a quick comment on something that Bill said:

Basically once a person allows for logic and critical thought, they no longer have “questions”, rather they have non-faith promoting conclusions.

The talks from church leaders and videos like this reference active questioning, but the reality is that questions don’t stay pliable forever if you use the “steel tools” Bill mentiones.

Awesome podcast. I’ll listen the other half in the upcoming days.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 am

It's really fascinating to see the attitudes that Bill now harbors for the LDS church. He tried as hard as he could to make the church work for him and he remains sensitive to believers. I do like Bill's new podcast, "The Mythical Jesus", but I'm not sure that a strong LDS believer would appreciate it as much.

But it's amazing to see how Steven Harper was more bereft of answers than I usually see. It's like Brother Harper is deperately trying to tell the LDS church to give us something to believe in while not admitting to the skeptics that the answers aren't there. And all the while the average member attending church weekly needs to not catch on that this drama is unfolding right in front of him.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 am

Steven Harper masterfully applied doublespeak throughout the interview. It was strange and uncomfortable.

John G.

Post by John G. » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:19 pm

Great podcast! Very insightful! Keep up the good work!
"If your children are taught untruths on evolution in the public schools or even in our Church schools, provide them with a copy of President Joseph Fielding Smith's excellent rebuttal in his book Man, His Origin and Destiny."

Ezra Taft Benson

Charlotte

Post by Charlotte » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:16 am

Corsair wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 am
But it's amazing to see how Steven Harper was more bereft of answers than I usually see. It's like Brother Harper is deperately trying to tell the LDS church to give us something to believe in while not admitting to the skeptics that the answers aren't there. And all the while the average member attending church weekly needs to not catch on that this drama is unfolding right in front of him.
Bereft of answers, or maybe just bereft! He has a very monotone sad-sounding, expressionless voice. He took a long time to say very little.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:20 am

That was almost sad. There IS no help for the widow's son.
"She never loved you; she loved the church, her one true love. She used you to marry the church by proxy."

-- unknown reddit poster

græy

Post by græy » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:15 pm

My wife watched this video before I had a chance to see it myself. After listening to these episodes I'd really like to watch it with her and point out the lengths Dr. Harper went through to avoid bringing up any of the real specific issues and to give precisely no answers at all. I really don't understand how they could title this video “How to Find Answers to Questions about Church History” and then to not only NOT give any answers, or direction on where to find answers, but to not even discuss the questions? Ridiculous! :evil:

"You'll find out one day" is not an answer. It is avoiding the issue, and the same phrase would work to keep any Scientologist or Jehova's Witness member firmly grounded in their belief system. We need to archive this video somewhere because I can't imagine it will stay up for long.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:30 pm

Charlotte wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:16 am
Corsair wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:17 am
Bereft of answers, or maybe just bereft! He has a very monotone sad-sounding, expressionless voice. He took a long time to say very little.
He's in a lousy position. I think he's trying to be honest, but if he just tells it like it is he is likely to lose his job which he appears to really like. He did not appear to want to be in that interview.

sunstoned

Post by sunstoned » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:11 pm

FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 am
Steven Harper masterfully applied doublespeak throughout the interview. It was strange and uncomfortable.
I will be very surprised if TSCC keeps this interview up for very long. It is just embarrassing.

græy

Post by græy » Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:17 am

sunstoned wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:11 pm
FiveFingerMnemonic wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:50 am
I will be very surprised if TSCC keeps this interview up for very long. It is just embarrassing.
I downloaded the video and stored it somewhere safe. I could lead to good conversations later.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:41 pm

They might as well rename the video There Are No Good Answers. The thing that really stood out to me is that an "answer" is something that supports faith in the official narrative. When there actually is a good answer that does not support that narrative they call that "no answer."

Awesome podcast!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:05 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 12:41 pm
They might as well rename the video There Are No Good Answers. The thing that really stood out to me is that an "answer" is something that supports faith in the official narrative. When there actually is a good answer that does not support that narrative they call that "no answer."

Awesome podcast!
Yep - this is exactly it. I used to have this conversation with my wife about church issues and I kept saying I'd talk to anyone who has answers for me.

But the reality is that there are *no* answers to these problems that both work in reality and are faith promoting.

This podcast highlights it so well, and if you watched just the video as a TBM you'd miss just how well he evades the questions, and how much he screws up the questions that she wants such straightforward, faith-promoting answers to.

A really good podcast - I wish I had people to share it with that would actually listen in!

slavereeno

Post by slavereeno » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:35 pm

This was awesome thanks consiglieri!

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:19 pm

The video of the church historian is akin to someone creating a YouTube video called “How to make cherry cobbler in a Dutch oven”, but instead talk about essential oils.
~2bizE

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Steve Harper has listened to the podcast and emailed Bill that he is sad to see how we have misrepresented his views. He adds he will answer any question completely and honestly.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:06 pm

consiglieri wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:22 pm
Steve Harper has listened to the podcast and emailed Bill that he is sad to see how we have misrepresented his views. He adds he will answer any question completely and honestly.
How do we get questions to him?

consiglieri

Post by consiglieri » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:28 pm

I would be happy to pass them along!

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Steve Harper on RFM? That would be great! Ready for the interview?

Court is now in session. Call your first witness, Consiglieri.

I get the feeling that that interview, if it actually happens will be very different from what was in the one you dissected. More likely, I see Mr. Harper bowing out (insert reason/excuse here) before it actually happens.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams