Getting a feel for TBM who are frightened of others leaving?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Rob4Hope

Getting a feel for TBM who are frightened of others leaving?

Post by Rob4Hope » Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:31 am

I'm trying to get a feel for how TBM communities feel about those who leave the church--not about them personally, but about those who are leaving in numbers that are chilling. There seems to be about 3 generalities:

1. The TBM groups who are in the BUBBLE--ie not even aware of the exodus. This group is of the opinion: "All is well in Zion...nothing can happen to me. I have paid my tything...I don't drink coffee or tea." They are not in touch with the trends, and that is that. I don't spend much time thinking about this group, other than occasionally astonishment that it exists, and how big it is.
2. The TBM groups that are looking around in a little bit of shock and wonderment. They tend to be more empathic, and its also concerning to them when friends, and even family or spouse leave. This group is, at least IMHO, the group that will continue to contribute to the exodus.
3. The third TBM group is the one I struggle the most to understand. Its those in leadership, from SP and above. I don't think they are in the BUBBLE like #1, but they also mask their feelings and never share ANY true reflections on the topic. But I can't help they would be more in the #2 camp then they let on...just not willing to show it less they break faith.

Thoughts?

Hagoth

Re: Getting a feel for TBM who are frightened of others leaving?

Post by Hagoth » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:12 am

I think there's a 4th group who get some kind of weird delight, or at least a testimony reaffirmation, from people leaving because they see it as a reminder of Satan's power, an omen that the end is near (even the very elect are deceived) and confirmation of their own valience in an ever-darkening world.

But most members still seem to think the church is growing like gangbusters.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Re: Getting a feel for TBM who are frightened of others leaving?

Post by Palerider » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:17 am

Rob4Hope wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:31 am
Its those in leadership, from SP and above.... but they also mask their feelings and never share ANY true reflections on the topic.

Thoughts?
When I was in the Bishopric, there were things I didn't agree with but after I had given an opinion, I went along with out of loyalty.

Leadership has a critical responsibility to put on a good face and show unity with the correlated "brethren".
As long as I was in that position, I felt the obligation to defend and support the church in spite of some of my own personal feelings.

Which is why when we heard our releases were imminent, I was hugely relieved. Towards the end of that Bishopric I had begun avoiding giving temple recommends. It wasn't a matter of worthiness whatsoever. It was a matter of integrity regarding belief versus loyalty.

Some of those in leadership may be stuck in that boat even though they would like to get out. But they feel obligated as long as they are in the calling. Loyalty, peer response, family expectations, cultural pressures. All contribute to making them stay.

I think most members would be shocked if they could look through the mind window and see leadership's true opinions.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington