Doctrine that is disavowed but still believed-on a scale 1-10

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Doctrine that is disavowed but still believed-on a scale 1-10

Post by deacon blues » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:09 pm

For example: Blood atonement would be about a 2 because few LDS still believe it.
Black people being less faithful in the Pre-existence might be a 4 because more people still believe it.
Faithful LDS will get their own planet would be a 9 or even 9.9 This has not been disavowed but has been called a caricature of what LDS believe.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Reuben

Re: Doctrine that is disavowed but still believed-on a scale 1-10

Post by Reuben » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:49 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:09 pm
Faithful LDS will get their own planet would be a 9 or even 9.9 This has not been disavowed but has been called a caricature of what LDS believe.
Closely related: spirits are made by a mommy god and a daddy god by having sex, or doing, you know, something that requires one of each kind of genitals or one of each biological sex.

I don't know if most Millennials believe this, but it's in the cultural consciousness of Generation Y and earlier. It was widely held "deep doctrine" when I was a teenager. I can virtually guarantee that the apostles believe it. What else is gender for, right? Why else would more wives mean more glory? Why else would it make no sense in heaven to have more than one husband? Exalted men can't get preggers, duh!

I'm convinced that the statements about gender in the Proclamation on the Family are motivated and justified by this idea. And it comes from polygamy, back when church leaders wanted to justify collecting women. Maybe Lyndsay Hansen Park is right about all the crap in Mormonism always being about polygamy.

Because of differences in belief by age, I'll give this one a 6.666/10.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

mooseman

Post by mooseman » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:59 pm

I think blood atonement might be higher, if you consider those who feel some crimes require execution for justice to happen. (I mean, the idea of spilt blood being required in blood atonement is why Utah held on to firing squads for so long. Nothing is spilt my lethal injection). Maybe as high as 30% if you look ar it from a legalist/BRM pov.
So 3.

Race and the pre existence i think is misleading--for boomers and older, its nearly universal, 90% at least. For X, us millennials, and younger id be shocked if it was over 25% and falling. We just arent taught it the way it use to be, and it makes us very uncomfortable to think about, so we haven't pass it on. So 3?

I think the Saturday warrior ideas like soul mates, pre assigned families, ect are still at super high saturation points despite leaders preaching for generations it doesnt matter who you marry, but where. That silly idea that marriage is about love just wont die. A 10 easy.
It's frustrating to see the last resort in a discussion of facts be: I disregard those facts because of my faith. Why even talk about facts if the last resort is to put faith above all facts that are contrary to your faith?

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Based on a recent talk I heard, garments still offer physical protection from fire, knives and bullets. I give it a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:16 pm

God is a vending machine: 10/10. Oh, wait, that hasn't been disavowed. Wishful thinking.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:23 pm

I was surprised to learn that Adam-God is still alive when my Gospel Doctrine teacher taught it in a Sunday school lesson. No one raised their hand to question him. In retrospect I admire him for sticking to his guns.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Polygamy: Disavowed in the here and now, 10/10 in the afterlife.

Didn't (c)Rusty Nelson brag about his celestial harem of (at least) two wives in the last "worldwide" Ziontology Convention?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Reuben

Post by Reuben » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:19 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:30 pm
Polygamy: Disavowed in the here and now, 10/10 in the afterlife.

Didn't (c)Rusty Nelson brag about his celestial harem of (at least) two wives in the last "worldwide" Ziontology Convention?
Wild Wendy keeps him young and spritely now, but she'll have serious competition in the next life. With the church barrelling toward "two girls for every boy" demographics, there will be an awful lot of single sisters in need of companionship and fertilization. If Brother Brigham taught us anything, it's that status brings a harem, so I expect our good president will be plenty busy.

Now, there's a problem with the thread's premise: it assumes that a substantial number of doctrines have been disavowed. The church just doesn't do that very often. Doctrines are much more likely to be quietly forgotten. My example of sex in heaven to create spirit babies is one of them.

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:04 pm

Is there still that thing about everyone receiving their own urim and thumim glass planet where all things will be revealed?

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:51 am

How about "The Melchizedek Priesthood can heal people through anointing with oil and a blessing." It's not completely disavowed, but it appears to be heading that way with Bednar's "faith to not be healed". This is compounded by the last general conference where the stories of 11 different people dying were relayed in conference and no instances of healing took place (Hat tip to Consiglieri/Radio Free Mormon for pointing this out).

The priesthood is supposed to have the power to heal, but believers don't really act like this is a reliable or functional ability. You are supposed to employ every modern medical option in addition to the blessing. But there are significant efforts made to provide blessings to people who ask for them, especially when they are headed for major surgery. Providing blessings to people you home teach or "minister" is commonly assumed in the duties of those callings.

I would put this at 8 out of 10. It is still believed on the surface, but few people truly act like it works even though healing is considered a blessing of the priesthood.

hiding in plain sight

Post by hiding in plain sight » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:17 am

You have to earn your way into heaven.

I think 9/10 mormons still believe this.

The church has tried to soften its tone and seem like they actually believe in the atonement.

But in reality, mormons have been taught so hard that christians are wrong because they believe they don't have to do anything but just accept christ and they get to go to heaven. Once saved, always saved.

This is kind of like believing how you live doesn'tt matter and only the atonement matters.

But mormons have heard so many times, saved by faith AFTER all you can do, it feels that the mormon mantra is more like this:

Mormons live their lives as IF they never want to need the atonement and do it all themselves.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:34 am

We are all marching back to Jackson County to meet Jesus. This was a big deal when I was a little kid but has been all but flushed down the memory hole. I give it a 4
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:28 pm

Do apostles see Jesus? I think Apostles have hedged on this, and even prevaricated about seeing the Savior. I would estimate that 50% to 60% of active members still believe that most or all of our current Q15 have seen Jesus.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:53 pm

The habits, addictions, and desires we have at the time of death will continue in the next life...
~2bizE

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:55 am

2bizE wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:53 pm
The habits, addictions, and desires we have at the time of death will continue in the next life...
Yeah I'll bet 80% or more believe that. Has it been disavowed officially or unofficially by any leaders?

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:18 pm

A lot of these are woven together, like the Great and Terrible Day of the Lord last days narrative. I guess it's not officially disavowed, but top brass rarely brings it up anymore. Woven into this is the march back to Far West MO, that was already mentioned, the constitution hanging by a thread and saved by stripling zealous Elders, the Armageddon war, the Millennium, etc. All of this continues to get watered down or forgotten, but I think the older generation still has a strong belief in it, as did their progenitors. It's the drama they need to keep themselves going, to feel like they are part of the great and one true church; they can't use church growth anymore as evidence. So maybe 5 out of 10?

One more related to the above: Pay a full tithe and you won't get burned when God purges the world with fire. What if you faithfully wear garments but pay less than a full tithe? I guess a torso with limbs and head burned BBQd isn't much good. I'd say 5 out of 10 on payments to the COB = Fire insurance. Have we witnessed the Windows of Heaven reboot already this year? I'd expect more of this narrative to pop up at a future conference near you; it's an easy one because it doesn't have to equate to any blessings in mortality, it can all be magic and rainbows promised in super VIP heaven.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 am

How about the doctrine of the white shirt. 9/10
You cannot pass the sacrament without the white shirt and tie.
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:47 am

2bizE wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:02 am
How about the doctrine of the white shirt. 9/10
You cannot pass the sacrament without the white shirt and tie.
Even though the inerrant handbook of instruction says otherwise. :evil:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:52 pm

The youth today were the generals in the war in heaven...
that whole quote.

That one they did put out a statement disavowing it while I was on my mission, so around 2001.

7/10
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Rob4Hope

Post by Rob4Hope » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:53 pm

Reuben wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:49 pm
deacon blues wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:09 pm
Closely related: spirits are made by a mommy god and a daddy god by having sex, or doing, you know, something that requires one of each kind of genitals or one of each biological sex.

I don't know if most Millennials believe this, but it's in the cultural consciousness of Generation Y and earlier. It was widely held "deep doctrine" when I was a teenager. I can virtually guarantee that the apostles believe it. What else is gender for, right? Why else would more wives mean more glory? Why else would it make no sense in heaven to have more than one husband? Exalted men can't get preggers, duh!

I'm convinced that the statements about gender in the Proclamation on the Family are motivated and justified by this idea. And it comes from polygamy, back when church leaders wanted to justify collecting women. Maybe Lyndsay Hansen Park is right about all the crap in Mormonism always being about polygamy.

Because of differences in belief by age, I'll give this one a 6.666/10.

YES! YOU NAILED IT!

It is all about sex and polygamy. I personally believe JS was a pervert, and this influenced the cultural aspects of his teachings that drifted ever more toward looser and looser morals. By the blood-atonement standards, what he did to Emma deserves some serious retribution. But, since God IS A RESPECTER OF PERSONS, Joe gets to walk.