Seminary students will NOT learn that the POX was revelation this year

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Reuben

Seminary students will NOT learn that the POX was revelation this year

Post by Reuben » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:40 pm

For reasons, the POX has been swapped with choosing First Presidency counselors as an example of revelation:

https://wheatandtares.org/2018/09/08/ex ... lum-again/

So that's that... for now, I guess. We're still left with the problem that President Nelson thinks every thought he feels good about is a revelation.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

jfro18

Re: Seminary students will NOT learn that the POX was revelation this year

Post by jfro18 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:53 pm

They know how toxic that policy is to members that are seminary age, so they took the cowards way out to just throw something else in its place.

Revelation doesn't come from God - it comes from focus groups.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:55 pm

Let me first state that having "POX" as the unofficial acronym of the "November 2015 Policy of Exclusion" truly warms my skeptical heart. It's almost as much fun as "Ziontology".

As many of you know, my oldest child is a daughter who is entirely Lesbian and did marry her delightful girlfriend last year. It was a lovely ceremony. Shortly before this event, my middle daughter was enrolled in seminary and I received the weekly lesson summary from her instructor. Usually it's the common "church is true, build your testimony, modern prophets are awesome, and the priesthood is just what we need". But one week it absolutely talked about how homosexuality is a sin and should not really be tolerated.

I asked middle daughter about this and she got teary-eyed from the obvious cognitive dissonance collapsing on her. She told me that she would never turn her back on her dear older sister. It was a really nice moment between us, and a shot across the bow for the LDS church. This is the vanguard of millennials that are simply not going to follow this doctrinal instruction from a church that hopes they will remain tithe-paying, life-long believers.

profit_seizer

Post by profit_seizer » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:12 pm

Oh hell yeah, middle daughter with that good sister loyalty. This is the thing that's going to bring the most change for good in our community—people like middle daughter realizing that the church has it out for people they love and care about.

Sent from my HTC U11 life using Tapatalk

"The history of human thought recalls the swinging of a pendulum which takes centuries to swing. After a long period of slumber comes a moment of awakening." —Peter Kropotkin

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:54 am

Corsair wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:55 pm
Let me first state that having "POX" as the unofficial acronym of the "November 2015 Policy of Exclusion" truly warms my skeptical heart.
Absolutely, plus such an association with a disease deadlier than the bubonic plague helps us better understand the nature of that policy.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha