Trying to Remember 9/11

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
moksha

Trying to Remember 9/11

Post by moksha » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:48 am

Trying to remember something about this date. Wasn't this when a squadron of Kamakazi Paiutes from Saudi Arabia crashed into a wagon train full of men, women, and children in what was later to be known as the Mountain Meadows Misunderstanding?

Something about their leader taking out a fatwa on this wagon train for killing Sheik Parley Al-Pratt.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Re: Trying to Remember 9/11

Post by Palerider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:38 pm

moksha wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:48 am
Trying to remember something about this date. Wasn't this when a squadron of Kamakazi Paiutes from Saudi Arabia crashed into a wagon train full of men, women, and children in what was later to be known as the Mountain Meadows Misunderstanding?

Something about their leader taking out a fatwa on this wagon train for killing Sheik Parley Al-Pratt.
Biggest terrorist attack in the settling of the west. Something to really be proud of....

But the wagon train deserved it because they ridiculed sacred Mohhamed Joseph. At least according to them.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:32 pm

I have now read three books on the MMM. I still can't explain why anyone thought it was necessary. It's so baffling. However, as a TBM, the accounts scared me from believing that obedience was morally right. Morality is determined by the action, not by who told you to do it.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 3:30 pm

blazerb wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:32 pm
I have now read three books on the MMM. I still can't explain why anyone thought it was necessary. It's so baffling. However, as a TBM, the accounts scared me from believing that obedience was morally right. Morality is determined by the action, not by who told you to do it.
Just church leadership looking for a dog to kick after being run out of their "Zion" and having their favored son killed. It never occurred to them to show the world they were better than the world was....Vengeance is mine saith Brigham. Can you imagine early Christians killing a small group of traveling Jews (who had nothing to do with it) in retaliation for the martyrdom of Stephen?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

rockslider

Post by rockslider » Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 pm

blazerb wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 2:32 pm
Blazerb, I'm sorry for you, you seem to be very confused about this. Let me give you some guidance for your morality, be not afraid, fear not:
Wilford Woodruff wrote: The Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as President of this Church to lead you astray. It is not in the programme. It is not in the mind of God. If I were to attempt that, the Lord would remove me out of my place, and so He will any other man who attempts to lead the children of men astray from the oracles of God and from their duty.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:10 pm

rockslider wrote:
Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:00 pm
Blazerb, I'm sorry for you, you seem to be very confused about this. Let me give you some guidance for your morality, be not afraid, fear not:
Wilford Woodruff wrote: The Lord will never permit me or any other man who stands as President of this Church to lead you astray. It is not in the programme. It is not in the mind of God. If I were to attempt that, the Lord would remove me out of my place, and so He will any other man who attempts to lead the children of men astray from the oracles of God and from their duty.
Obviously, Wilford had no conflicts of interest in declaring this.