General Conference Predictions

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
2bizE

General Conference Predictions

Post by 2bizE » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:07 pm

It’s about time for GC and I’ve heard many predictions. What have you heard and what do you predict?

I predict a change in the quorums of 70. Some type of restructuring. The Q70 is equal in authority to the Q12 and FP though nobody acts like it. The more 70s added, the more possibilities of the Q70 overstepping. Can’t have that.
~2bizE

Anon70

Re: General Conference Predictions

Post by Anon70 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:40 pm

I’ve heard 2 hour church. But I hear that every GC and I think it’s a rumor they use to drive up attendance :lol:

But my Uber TBM aunt who has a well connected son insists it’s really happening this time......

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:47 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:40 pm
I’ve heard 2 hour church. But I hear that every GC and I think it’s a rumor they use to drive up attendance :lol:

But my Uber TBM aunt who has a well connected son insists it’s really happening this time......
I've heard this too very recently from "someone who is connected..." whatever that means. There's also an at home study manual class thingy that's in beta testing.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/church- ... y?lang=eng
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:47 pm

I've heard this too very recently from "someone who is connected..." whatever that means. There's also an at home study manual class thingy that's in beta testing.

It makes sense they might finally make the jump considering that these home study manuals are all set for their 2019 "curriculum."

I know it would make members happy to have one less hour there, so it would be a good move for the church since the 3rd hour isn't essential and probably doesn't add to member's obedience to the church anyway.

Brent

Post by Brent » Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:49 pm

The church will no longer solemnize civil marriages in the temple.

Ho Lee Turtle

Post by Ho Lee Turtle » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:09 pm

I’ve heard the 2 hour church rumor quite a bit, even that it has been in trial version in a couple places outside the USA. Part of the rumor is that in some countries people are able to take a break from their jobs to attend church for up to 2 hours and this will help them be able to attend more often now. They are also holding services on days other than Sunday in order to accommodate people in areas where Sunday is not the typical sabbath observance day like it is in the USA as part of the trial.

The other rumor is that there is a clarification coming on word of wisdom related to tea. Apparently some teas are good for you and are ok. Some are still bad and not ok. They will provide guidance as to which are which. However, there is still no clarification on mild barley drinks being likened unto 3.2 beer.

My best prediction though is that there will be a lot of stories told about how the new ministering program has changed the world and been so successful.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:08 pm

I'd be happy to attend church for 8 hours on a Sunday if they would change the 24/7 garments to temple only.

Sleeping naked would no longer be a sin! :lol:

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:14 pm

10 hours of boring meetings, put on by a giant real-estate corporation, for their convention they have every 6 months, where a bunch of out-of-touch octogenarians talk about each other.

Oh, I was supposed to make a prediction? See previous paragraph/run-on sentence. I'll avoid the drivel at pretty much all cost.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:18 pm

Ho Lee Turtle wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:09 pm
My best prediction though is that there will be a lot of stories told about how the new ministering program has changed the world and been so successful.
You’ve nailed it! Along with a ton of talk about how lucky we are to have a prophet, seer, and revelator in these wicked times, with all of the marvelous changes he has made in the last few months. Who knows, President Nelson may whip out one of those patented changes-that-don’t-change-much-of-anything to throw a bone to the faithful.

And at least one speaker will try and villianize anyone who supports Sam, using oblique references and without referring to him directly.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:33 pm

I'm predicting Mr. Bednar will come to a complete hault mid-sentence and someone will have to insert 6 new double A's to get him started again.

Sister Bednar will be the obvious scape goat for not remembering to check his battery level pre-conference.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:24 am

I suspect that General Conference presentations will include:

1. Lobbying against medicinal marijuana.
2. The importance of all children being subjected to interviews by LDS bishops.
3. Obeying Church Authorities.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:35 am

Ho Lee Turtle wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:09 pm
I predict the opposite. There will be a reprimand talk. "A lot of you thought that ministering meant you didn't have to do anything anymore. You were wrong and you are now under condemnation." And we'll take turns reading that talk out loud during EQ at least 4 times between now and next conference.
Red Ryder wrote:
I've heard this too very recently from "someone who is connected..." whatever that means.
It's got to be hard keeping a lid on things. First the church has to run the change by legal to make sure 2 hour church doesn't open them up to new liabilities. Then the church has to run it past the actuaries to see if the change to 2 hour church somehow ends up costing the church more money. Then the church has to run it past the correlation department to make sure we don't have 3 hours of church because it absolutely must align with the symbolism of the holy number 3. Then finally they have to have a team to write their talks for them and have the talks translated into dozens of languages.

That's a lot of changing hands.

It's October general conference. You want a prediction about conference? I'll give you a conference prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:32 am

nibbler wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:35 am
It's October general conference. You want a prediction about conference? I'll give you a conference prediction: It's gonna be cold, it's gonna be grey, and it's gonna last you for the rest of your life.
Nice Groundhog Day quote! And entirely appropriate - General Conference is just like the movie Groundhog Day, because it is just the same thing over and over and over and over...
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:35 am

Palerider wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:33 pm
I'm predicting Mr. Bednar will come to a complete hault mid-sentence and someone will have to insert 6 new double A's to get him started again.

Sister Bednar will be the obvious scape goat for not remembering to check his battery level pre-conference.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Palerider wins the internet today!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:45 am

Red Ryder wrote:
There's also an at home study manual class thingy that's in beta testing.

Just what we need: a new obligation for studying at home. Not enough people are reading their scriptures so now we might have a new way to make it more boring. I remember the few times I looked at the seminary workbooks and noted what a bland and sleep inducing curricula they embodied.

Not only do we have several hours of church on Sunday, now we have homework. If this is inflicted upon the church, I'm sure that my wife will be fairly faithful doing it. I, on the other hand, will find loads of other things to study that take me out of this book as much as possible.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:30 am

Let's see, I predict someone tries to create a buzzword. Kind of like what ponderize it guy did. And then we will see that buzzword memed to death by our TBM friends on FB.

I predict some self congratulations for helping in the aftermath of the hurricane.

I predict Rasband will still be in full suck-up mode. I predict Renlund will put everyone to sleep with his monotone.

I predict the RS session will be an effing nightmare under the Nelson regime. I predict I will need a glass or two of wine to get through it.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:38 am

Brent wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:49 pm
Brent, I thought the church stopped doing that several years ago. Maybe I’m not understanding fully, but the church used to allow you to be married civilly, for time only in the temple.
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 am

2bizE wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:38 am
Brent wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:49 pm
Brent, I thought the church stopped doing that several years ago. Maybe I’m not understanding fully, but the church used to allow you to be married civilly, for time only in the temple.
I think he's alluding to the temple ceremony as the one stop marriage event that excludes non-members and masturbators. Change the policy to mirror other countries that don't recognized the ceremony as a marriage meaning you have to civilly get married first, then sealed in the temple second.

This would eliminate the exclusion factor.

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:12 am

If 2 hour church comes to fruition, I will immediately embark on a push for 70 minute church.
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:40 am

2 hour church ideas?

SM/SS/3H = 40/40/40?

SM/SS/3H = 60/30/30?

SM/2H = 60/60?

SM/Sitting in my car = 60/60?