General Conference Predictions

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Brent

Re: General Conference Predictions

Post by Brent » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:43 pm

The Bill Reel rumor of only serving in your home country is tantalizingly plausible, declare how the church is strong enough to support local missions. Alleviates the cultural strain and you only have to deal with the American judicial system...

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:03 pm

Brent wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:43 pm
The Bill Reel rumor of only serving in your home country is tantalizingly plausible, declare how the church is strong enough to support local missions. Alleviates the cultural strain and you only have to deal with the American judicial system...
That might reduce the overall number of youth serving missions. Isn't part of the appeal the allure of being called to some far away, exotic place where you get to learn a language? After you submit your application it's up to the lotto but if you don't get called to some far away, exotic place there's enough social pressure to where you're kinda locked in. You have to put on a smile in front of everyone and learn to love the people in Billings Montana.

If you had 10,000 youth considering serving a mission, how many would opt out because they knew for a fact that they'd be staying stateside before they even sent in their papers? Their chance of serving in Fiji just went to zero but their chance of serving in Billings, MT just went up 450%.

I've got to think that the mere possibility of going foreign tips the scales for a lot of people on the fence.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:52 pm

alas wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:22 am
wtfluff wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:03 am
alas wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:39 am

I never thought about how the speculation like this is therapeutic, but it is like little kids play acting to help them cope with real life. We can voice our secret hopes and fears in a safe environment because it is just wondering what might happen at conference, not saying to our spouse, “The three hours of church suck.” At which our TBM spouse gets angry and tightens down on making sure we don’t slip out and go to Starbucks during third hour.
Is it really therapeutic when we get our hopes up, only to have them completely dashed with the same tired old rhetoric from the Q15?

I can't help but hope that they'll change "stuff" to make things better for my believing family members (which will also be better for me) but a bunch of old, out of touch white guys with their heads stuck in the 50's seem to be incapable of doing that... :(

But... Re-Branding LDS-Inc. AGAIN... That is very, very, very important!
Is anyone really getting their hopes up? Or is it like kids playing doctor, where they don’t really expect the doctor to not give them a shot next time, but by pretending to BE the doctor, they kind of take control. We are kind of saying, “well if I was the prophet, I would change the 3 hour block.” We are pretending to be in control even though we know it is going to be the Same. Old. Crap.
Well... As far as the #GereralTiresConference rumors are concerned, no, I don't really get my hopes up.

As far as just generally hoping they'll do something at some point to improve the lives of their followers: Yes I do hope that will happen. I guess it will take a while to get over more than 40 years of programming.

And: Yes, my "hopes" for any sort of improvement have been in vain...
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:53 pm

2bizE wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm
consiglieri wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:57 am
I think there is an off-chance President Nelson will present the Proclamation to the World on the Family as a new Official Declaration in the Doctrine and Covenants.

Or maybe even Section 139 . . .
If so, I wonder if the section header will include a summary about the proclamation being part of a Amicus brief to the Supreme Court of Hawaii.
Oh wouldn't that be wonderful! Oh wouldn't that be spectacular!

Take the piece of paper out of the left pocket and put it into the right pocket! Now that's rebranding Russell style! This just may happen.

Then the members can fall all over it again!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg