"I already knew it was true"

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Hagoth

Re: "I already knew it was true"

Post by Hagoth » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:33 am

Palerider wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:59 am
Just because we recognize some of the good things in the church or have a testimony of Christ and his atonement while being in the Mormon church, DOESN'T MAKE THE WHOLE THING TRUE.
This is an excellent point, because we are not willing to extend the same latitude to people of other religions. We teach our members that if we have elevated feelings about any aspect of our church they should extend that to all aspects of the church, but if we were dealing with, say, a Jehovah's Witness we would tell them that any positive feelings they feel for our church should be extended to ALL aspects of OUR church, while similar feelings for their own religion should be isolated and discounted.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Lloyd Christmas

Re: "I already knew it was true"

Post by Lloyd Christmas » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:20 pm

I always found D&C 46 vs 11-14 interesting.

"11 For all have not every gift given unto them; for there are many gifts, and to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God.

12 To some is given one, and to some is given another, that all may be profited thereby.

13 To some it is given by the Holy Ghost to know that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and that he was crucified for the sins of the world.

14 To others it is given to believe on their words, that they also might have eternal life if they continue faithful."

I always took that to mean the Holy Spirit basically won't tell everyone the truthfulness via burning bosom. As a member of the church I always figured maybe I was just one of the people who had to rely on others words. In the back of my mind I always felt like that was a kind of deceitful and a way to manipulate people. Because maybe no one was feeling the spirit and everyone was just relying on others words.