Influx in Revelation?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Red Ryder

Influx in Revelation?

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 am

This past weekend was stake conference. The theme was centered around ministering but quickly became a roadshow for revelation. The SP decided to run a play out of Russell The Revelator's playbook and rebrand an old slogan with a new slogan and call it revelation. Specialized just for the Stake of course!

It seems like this is becoming a new thread of doctrine in the church culture quilt. Say the same old things and call it revelation!

Here's the new revelation our SP received for our Stake:

Pay tithes and offerings, live better.
Attend the temple more, live better.
Minister to the Savior's way, live better.

Doesn't that sound vaguely familiar to Wal-Mart's marketing slogan "Save More Live Better"?

I'm really hoping GC shakes up the normal again and we can see Russell The Revelator in action! I'm going to prophesy that he will be introducing the population of Planet Mormonism to a new revelation and reveal a new program called "Believe and Become"!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Re: Influx in Revelation?

Post by 2bizE » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 am

I agree. There appears to be an influx of normal business decisions becoming revelations. For example, change of missionary age, recommitment that LDS does not like gays policies, combining of HP and EQ.
Hint: If lawyers are involved, it isn’t revelation.w
~2bizE

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:35 pm

One of the most common criticisms of the church is that there is no more revaluation in Brighamite Mormonism. I will give LDS Inc credit that they do seam to be addressing some concerns that are raised. However, they do it in the least effective way. Look at Sam Young's call to update polocy about youth interview. The church did update policy to allow an additional adult in the room. It's something, even if they did miss the point behind the whole movement and what was really being called for.

How better to address the criticism of being uninspired by calling any random policy update revelation? With just some minor rewording, things they were going to do any way are now proof of their divine communication and members will eat it up. Everyone else will see right though it, but that's not who they are trying to play to. They are playing to the slightly questioning TBM and trying to stop the bleeding there. For some it may even work for a while.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:23 pm

2bizE wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:42 am
I agree. There appears to be an influx of normal business decisions becoming revelations. For example, change of missionary age, recommitment that LDS does not like gays policies, combining of HP and EQ.
Hint: If lawyers are involved, it isn’t revelation.w
Don't forget the new marketing campaign that RSM inspired...er, rather the revelation he received from Jebus that "Mormon" and "LDS" are no longer pleasing to the Lord.

"We are no longer the knights who say 'Ni!'"
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Counter point:

Don't pay tithes and offerings, live better because you have money to do the things you never could.
Don't attend the temple more, live better because you have so many more weekends to do things you actually want to do.

I actually believe in the last one... love and serve others and you will live better because:
1) Just the act of helping others makes us happy. We were designed by evolution to feel this way.
2) Helping others makes people value you and frankly owe you. You will be surrounded by people who care about you and will likely help you in the future. The resultant strong social community also makes people happy. Again, we were designed by evolution to have happiness responses to a strong and supportive tribe.
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:53 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:35 pm
The church did update policy to allow an additional adult in the room. It's something, even if they did miss the point behind the whole movement and what was really being called for.
I think this continues more for the bishop than those being interrogated over sexual matters.

Here is a solution that would satisfy both sides: adult members could submit sexually titillating stories on an anonymous basis to a top secret Church site called The Bishop Letters. In lieu of questioning of women and children in the ward over sexual activities, the bishops would be urged to read the Letters site when the need arises. This would present a chance for members to sharpen their writing skills, although only the most unusual bishops would be reading from The Bishop Letters in search of spelling errors.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:17 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:35 pm
The church did update policy to allow an additional adult in the room. It's something, even if they did miss the point behind the whole movement and what was really being called for.
Because the only thing better than confessing masturbation to the bishop is confessing masturbation to the bishop while Mom and Dad are scowling at you from a few feet away. Progress!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:54 pm

GoodBoy wrote:
Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:34 pm
Counter point:

Don't pay tithes and offerings, live better because you have money to do the things you never could.
Don't attend the temple more, live better because you have so many more weekends to do things you actually want to do.

I actually believe in the last one... love and serve others and you will live better because:
1) Just the act of helping others makes us happy. We were designed by evolution to feel this way.
2) Helping others makes people value you and frankly owe you. You will be surrounded by people who care about you and will likely help you in the future. The resultant strong social community also makes people happy. Again, we were designed by evolution to have happiness responses to a strong and supportive tribe.
I have so much faith that I no longer pay tithing nor ask for priesthood blessings to be healed.
~2bizE

GoodBoy

Post by GoodBoy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:04 am

2bizE wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:54 pm
I have so much faith that I no longer pay tithing nor ask for priesthood blessings to be healed.
Wow! You are like Joseph Smith, who after a while no longer needed his stone to know what God wanted him to do! Me, I still need my stone. ;)
Always been the good kid, but I wanted to know more, and to find and test truth.