Flat Earth Ignorance is a Serious Problem

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
Reuben

Re: Flat Earth Ignorance is a Serious Problem

Post by Reuben » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:29 pm

Yobispo wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:32 pm
I engaged a Flat Earth guy on reddit a few days ago. It was fascinating at first, but then it just sounded crazy and more like a religious cause than a different scientific analysis. Maybe I was expecting too much.
The point of a conspiracy theory is to have certainty in an uncertain world, and greater self-esteem by possessing special knowledge. If that sounds like fundamentalist religion, well... it basically is.

I wonder if there are ex-flat-Earther support groups out there.
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:00 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:52 pm
Yes, this is really a thing. I know two people in real life who believe the earth is flat.

We don't talk about it. :shock:
The best response is probably, "Uh huh. Well, I'm glad that's workin' for ya!" Same thing when someone bears their testimony to you.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:00 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Yes, this is really a thing. I know two people in real life who believe the earth is flat.

The best response is probably, "Uh huh. Well, I'm glad that's workin' for ya!" Same thing when someone bears their testimony to you.
:mrgreen:

I also have another acquaintance who was preaching how bad GMO's and Monsanto are. At one point he said: "I thing Monsanto is trying to kill all of us." To which I promptly asked: "What good would it do Monsanto to kill all of their customers?" At which point he changed the subject to Chem-Trails. :roll:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Thoughtful

Post by Thoughtful » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:34 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:04 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:00 pm
wtfluff wrote:

:mrgreen:

I also have another acquaintance who was preaching how bad GMO's and Monsanto are. At one point he said: "I thing Monsanto is trying to kill all of us." To which I promptly asked: "What good would it do Monsanto to kill all of their customers?" At which point he changed the subject to Chem-Trails. :roll:
Monsanto is an environmental problem because they are reducing biodiversity. I believe they were just bought out by Bayer.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:28 am

wtfluff wrote:
At which point he changed the subject to Chem-Trails. :roll:
I just found out that I know a chem-trail conspiracist. He says they're dumping mind control drugs on all of us via chem-trails to keep us from being suspicious of chem-trails. I would like to ask him what makes him immune.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:11 am

Yobispo wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:32 pm
I engaged a Flat Earth guy on reddit a few days ago. It was fascinating at first, but then it just sounded crazy and more like a religious cause than a different scientific analysis. Maybe I was expecting too much.
This has been my experience; it quickly devolves into the same type of convo you have with a TBM when trying to explain the facts to them. "I know this church is true." and "I know the Earth is Flat." are pretty much the same thing in my book.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:18 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:28 am
wtfluff wrote:
At which point he changed the subject to Chem-Trails. :roll:
I just found out that I know a chem-trail conspiracist. He says they're dumping mind control drugs on all of us via chem-trails to keep us from being suspicious of chem-trails. I would like to ask him what makes him immune.
Chemtrails. They make him immune to chemtrails. Duh.