Missing from the Joseph Smith papers?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

Missing from the Joseph Smith papers?

Post by deacon blues » Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:47 pm

I'm disappointed that I can't find the Court records for Joseph's 1826 trial in the Joseph Smith Papers. I'm still searching, and maybe they are somewhere I haven't looked, or maybe they will come out later; but for this and other reasons I'm thinking if Dan Vogel's "Early Mormon Documents" vols. 1-5 is still more comprehensive than the celebrated Joseph Smith papers-- more history, less commentary.
At least the trial is briefly mentioned in the new "Standard of Truth" history. hmm...
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

RubinHighlander

Re: Missing from the Joseph Smith papers?

Post by RubinHighlander » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:16 pm

“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:49 pm

Thanks Ruben. All the accounts I know of are in Dan Vogel's "Early Mormon Documents" series. I am disappointed that there are no accounts in the J.S. Papers for the 1826 trial. At first I thought the Church's editors might have nixed it, but the 1826 trial IS briefly mentioned in the new "Saints: The Standard of Truth" book. It doesn't make sense. :roll:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:59 pm

deacon blues wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:47 pm
I'm disappointed that I can't find the Court records for Joseph's 1826 trial in the Joseph Smith Papers. I'm still searching, and maybe they are somewhere I haven't looked, or maybe they will come out later; but for this and other reasons I'm thinking if Dan Vogel's "Early Mormon Documents" vols. 1-5 is still more comprehensive than the celebrated Joseph Smith papers-- more history, less commentary.
At least the trial is briefly mentioned in the new "Standard of Truth" history. hmm...
Is it possible they don't want them included?

They are pretty damning.

When I first heard they were going to start collecting the documents for the Joseph Smith papers, I thought, "Oh, good move...if you control the documents, you control the flow of information."

Also wondering if they have to have the actual documents in hand or can they use a verified copy? Being court documents, maybe they aren't available to the church?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:28 am

There is definitely some censoring in the JS Papers project. They still redact anything related to temple ordinance penalties as is seen in the papers on the council of fifty minutes.

http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/2 ... y.html?m=1