The Test of Faith- are all faiths created equal?

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
deacon blues

The Test of Faith- are all faiths created equal?

Post by deacon blues » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:13 am

What made Josiah Stowell, and other money diggers believe in Joseph Smith's ability to see buried treasure with a rock in a hat? We typically call it Faith. Somehow, Joseph convinced them (and/or they convinced themselves) that if they believed, or believed harder, or just kept on believing no matter what, the power of the seer stone would work. (It's interesting that in the 1826 trial Josiah Stowell testified he knew Joseph could see treasure under the ground.)

Is this the same kind of faith that made Steve Jobs keep working after he was fired by Apple Computers, or caused Abraham Lincoln to keep running for public office, or caused Thomas Edison to keep trying to invent the light bulb? Are all faiths equal? Are they discernible only after they later succeed or fail?
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

RubinHighlander

Re: The Test of Faith- are all faiths created equal?

Post by RubinHighlander » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:46 am

This is a very interesting question Deacon!

Just yesterday I was agonizing over all the flat earther comments on a NASA image post on Instagram and one of the accounts said "I know the Earth is Flat!" But I think from my own experience working on projects, like my old cars, that faith to keep trying might be a bit different than making an absolute statement like "I know." As tempting as it is to just take it to a shop and have them deal with it, sometimes I keep at it for days, hammering, grinding and eventually I've removed the broken rust bolts and have the part replaced.

You would have to talk to Edison and ask him if he knew he would eventually find the right material and combination that would work. However, I think most scientists and inventors are more like to say they know they may fail and never find a solution. I say this because they believe in probability and accept they don't know everything. A religious person can simply make those statements based on emotion with zero facts to back it up. A scientist or inventor keeps working with different variables, keeps learning and trying different things to try and prove what they think might be possible. That's the kind of faith in the probability of success, not blind and purely emotional. I see this in physics and mathematics or even chemistry, based on know facts, variables and behaviors, having some predictability in the possible but not having a way to prove it yet with current technology, like dark matter.

My opinion is that theses faiths are not equal. Joseph never found any treasure, so it was blind emotional faith to believe he had that ability. Someone with a metal detector can show they found something in one place, so you could have faith they could find more things in another place, but it's no guarantee. Now with the added science and knowledge of geology, one could increase the chances of success. If Joe had tried thousands of times, maybe he'd eventually get lucky, probability says so. Unfortunately for us, he didn't stick to treasure hunting, he moved on to create a religion.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:08 am

I think there's a lot of background that exists but that we aren't aware of regarding Joseph.

We know that he was actively cultivating a reputation as a peeper. It was a family moneymaker. His father was involved. I remember reading that a farmer/neighbor had reluctantly paid him to find a missing tool and that he highly suspected that Joseph had hidden it in the first place. He just couldn't prove it.

I think this is the way Joseph created a reputation for being clairvoyant.

One of the stories of his peeping for a group of diggers mentions finding a perfect feather about 5-6 feet underground where they were digging for buried Indian treasure. A sure sign they were on the right track.

I can't imagine how that feather got there. (was dropped there?) :roll:

I think by the time Joseph was working for Josiah, his reputation was well established and he probably had a few subtle tricks he worked on him to seal the deal.

The superstitious Josiah was convinced, no doubt.

Is "faith" involved?

I'd have to think about that.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:30 am

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:13 am
Is this the same kind of faith that made Steve Jobs keep working after he was fired by Apple Computers, or caused Abraham Lincoln to keep running for public office, or caused Thomas Edison to keep trying to invent the light bulb? Are all faiths equal? Are they discernible only after they later succeed or fail?
No. Blind religious faith is not the same as the "faith" that Steve Jobs, Abraham Lincoln, or Thomas Edison had.

When it comes to human accomplishment, there is plenty of evidence in the real world that humans can be successful if they work hard, and are willing to fail over and over until they eventually succeed.

With faith in deeply held beliefs such as religion, treasure digging, flat-earth theories, or an invisible man near Kolob who cares about humans: There is no real evidence or example of success. In fact, one has to set aside evidence to believe in these things.

This reminds me of the folks who like to trot out the theory that I have "faith" that the sun will rise tomorrow. Nope I'm sorry, I've seen the "sun rise" tens of thousands of times in my life. Not once in any 24 hour period in my lifetime has the earth stopped rotating. While I cannot say with absolute certainty that "the sun will rise tomorrow" I have plenty of evidence to believe that "the sun will rise tomorrow" without using any sort of "faith" statement.

No, not all "faiths" are created equal.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:04 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:30 am
deacon blues wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:13 am
No. Blind religious faith is not the same as the "faith" that Steve Jobs, Abraham Lincoln, or Thomas Edison had.

When it comes to human accomplishment, there is plenty of evidence in the real world that humans can be successful if they work hard, and are willing to fail over and over until they eventually succeed.

With faith in deeply held beliefs such as religion, treasure digging, flat-earth theories, or an invisible man near Kolob who cares about humans: There is no real evidence or example of success. In fact, one has to set aside evidence to believe in these things.

This reminds me of the folks who like to trot out the theory that I have "faith" that the sun will rise tomorrow. Nope I'm sorry, I've seen the "sun rise" tens of thousands of times in my life. Not once in any 24 hour period in my lifetime has the earth stopped rotating. While I cannot say with absolute certainty that "the sun will rise tomorrow" I have plenty of evidence to believe that "the sun will rise tomorrow" without using any sort of "faith" statement.

No, not all "faiths" are created equal.
1+ Yep. To me real faith requires some good hard evidence. I couldn't have put it this well, however. Thanks!
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.