Bill Reel and General Conference Rumors

Discussions toward a better understanding of LDS doctrine, history, and culture. Discussion of Christianity, religion, and faith in general is welcome.
oliblish

Bill Reel and General Conference Rumors

Post by oliblish » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:27 pm

Bill Reel released a new podcast yesterday where he says an inside source has told him about discussions church leadership has been having about potential changes that could happen in the near future. Some of these could be announced at General Conference.

I personally think that most of these are unlikely to be announced at GC if they happen at all. Any changes related to the temple have generally not been announced publicly. They just seem to happen with no mention in GC - such as 1990 changes, garment changes, stopping of naked touching, etc.

Here is the quote from his web page for this podcast:

https://mormondiscussionpodcast.org/201 ... s-and-why/
Bill Reel wrote: So many of the public voices have their sources for inside info. I like them have mine. Recently I was made aware of several potential announcements coming out from General Conference about about a week ago. Today’s Episode dives into the Rumors that are out there, the Inside info I have, and the reasons why these changes would happen. I am more certain about some of these, less certain about others, but for the nuanced, liberal, or non-believing Mormon such things make tolerating conference more bearable and almost interesting!!!

1.) Males and Females can go on Missions at 18 and serve 24 months: these combats the severe decline in the # of Missionaries serving.

2.) The One year waiting period across the board if one has a civil marriage first. – The removes the tension this is causing many and relieves one item on the shelf of some who step back due to Mormonism’s abusive mechanisms.

3.) Going to a 2 hour block as the standard. This relieves those who are overly burdened in callings and it allows a ward to get by with less people due to the exodus of members. It also allows those who don’t feel uplifted to more easily justify continued attendance.

4.) Missionaries to serve only in the country they live.

5.) for those going through the endowment for the dead, reducing the endowment session to 1 hour. Again reducing the burden and boredom of younger members who lack the same blind commitment to the Church that their parents and grandparents had.

6.) This one seems mundane but is at the heart of the rumors. The SLC Temple will close for a 5 year renovation. If this one comes to pass, I trust the other 5 even if not implemented are being discussed in depth in top Church circles

7.) The temple interview made less rigid and less about keeping belief standards to accommodate a younger generation walking away from activity and adherence to Church standards.
ETA: just noticed this was already brought up in another thread...
Stands next to Kolob, called by the Egyptians Oliblish, which is the next grand governing creation near to the celestial or the place where God resides; holding the key of power also, pertaining to other planets; as revealed from God to Abraham

jfro18

Re: Bill Reel and General Conference Rumors

Post by jfro18 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:24 pm

What's interesting is that he originally said garments would not be required except in the temple, but in the new post he took that off but left it on the webcast.

Never expected it to be official, but man that would've been sweet.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:48 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:24 pm
What's interesting is that he originally said garments would not be required except in the temple, but in the new post he took that off but left it on the webcast.

Right! Like this is the super duper obvious one that actually makes sense and would get the world to see Mormons without weird underwear requirements!

No way the church will ever normalize in the underwear department. The day they do is the day I'll eat a pair of cotton poly mormon underoos!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

FiveFingerMnemonic

Post by FiveFingerMnemonic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:38 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
jfro18 wrote:

Right! Like this is the super duper obvious one that actually makes sense and would get the world to see Mormons without weird underwear requirements!

No way the church will ever normalize in the underwear department. The day they do is the day I'll eat a pair of cotton poly mormon underoos!
The other thing is that garments are a source of revenue for the COB and also acts as a welfare arm in hiring folks for beehive clothing. In Daymon Smith's Book of Mammon, he talks about how the 2003 small temple "buy your own temple clothes" push was actually meant to help save a clothing factory and jobs.

Just like the old campaign to buy a case of BOM's and write your testimony in them to give them away was to solve an excess inventory problem the printing department had. Flood the earth with our old books so we can print new ones.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:36 pm

jfro18 wrote:

Where would they stash all those "garments saved my life" stories?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:05 am

Girls on missions at 18 maybe

One year waiting period highly unlikely

Two hour block perhaps. Only because the faith of bored members may make it happen

Take off you garments. Not a chance in hell. Even though this is the one I wish for the most. If I have to any more men prancing around the locker room at the gym in these I will explode. Nothing says bondage to me more than garments. Yet it is such a wonderful control mechanism for the church. I don’t see them giving it up yet.
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:00 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:05 am
Girls on missions at 18 maybe

One year waiting period highly unlikely

Two hour block perhaps. Only because the faith of bored members may make it happen

Take off you garments. Not a chance in hell. Even though this is the one I wish for the most. If I have to any more men prancing around the locker room at the gym in these I will explode. Nothing says bondage to me more than garments. Yet it is such a wonderful control mechanism for the church. I don’t see them giving it up yet.
Especially considering how recently they doubled down on it to make sure people aren't even mowing the lawn without waving their c..., uh, unhealthy organization flag.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:33 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:00 am
Especially considering how recently they doubled down on it to make sure people aren't even mowing the lawn without waving their c..., uh, unhealthy organization flag.
There was nothing more uncomfortable than wearing those @#$@#$#@ garments on hot days. The day I stopped going I remember going back to normal underwear and the world just felt magical again.

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:47 am

I was reading today on the Mormon D&D site how most Cojcolds are very conservative people and would not cotton to too many changes. So here is my solution for the 2-hour change: Offer a choice between Gospel Doctrine and silent meditation in the chapel. If the silent meditation proves to be somewhat popular, then after a year make it optional for those meditators to do so in the comfort of their own home. The drawback to this is if the meditating guys have to drive back to Church to pick up their wives and kids.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:09 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:47 am
The drawback to this is if the meditating guys have to drive back to Church to pick up their wives and kids.
The faithful can leave me at home and I'll just meditate on my own. I might even make lunch for the faithful once they get home from church.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:45 pm

A thought comes to me. It is striking how members have zero say in the church they sacrifice so much for. I would think many if not most members would welcome all these changes, yet they can do nothing but wait for 15 old guys to do micro changes at a snails pace
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Yobispo

Post by Yobispo » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:22 am

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:45 pm
A thought comes to me. It is striking how members have zero say in the church they sacrifice so much for. I would think many if not most members would welcome all these changes, yet they can do nothing but wait for 15 old guys to do micro changes at a snails pace
It's true. I have thought about what to say to my TBM brother if they go to 2 hour church. "Congrats on being given permission to do something you could have done without permission?" Most adults I knew when I attended skipped 2nd or 3rd hour anyway.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:29 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:45 pm
Not only zero say, but members have to be told exactly how to follow the programs. Ministering is a perfect example of this.

Ministering should have been easy to figure out if members understood the spirit of the program. Instead, they only know how to understand the letter of the program. Therefore every week there's another talk or lesson on ministering that focuses on how to minister and report back to the leadership.

With that said, I'll help out any Mormons who may be reading this trying to figure out what 2 hour church will look like so they won't have to wait for the Bishop to explain it.

It means you leave the building and go home after the second hour!

Right! It is cool!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:39 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:29 pm
With that said, I'll help out any Mormons who may be reading this trying to figure out what 2 hour church will look like so they won't have to wait for the Bishop to explain it.

It means you leave the building and go home after the second hour!
It will be testimony to so many faithful Mormons how this revelation for two hour church was received by so many of their semi-active brothers and sisters who were already doing two hour church. Skipping priesthood or Relief Society should be now viewed as being anxiously engaged with following the prophet.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:02 am

I didn't watch, but from what I've read it appears that day one gave us just one of these rumors coming true.

Anyone want to bet what, if any, other ones will become reality in day two? I think waiving the civil service timeframe might come true, but that takes just a little control off members and I wonder if they'll hold out until they legally have to do so.

Unendowed

Post by Unendowed » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:39 am

I think there is one more big change to the missionary program going to be announced this morning. The only reason I say that is I've seen recent mission calls come in that don't specify a location but say it will be determined after conference. Something is afoot.

Random

Post by Random » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:55 pm

Unendowed wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:39 am
I think there is one more big change to the missionary program going to be announced this morning. The only reason I say that is I've seen recent mission calls come in that don't specify a location but say it will be determined after conference. Something is afoot.
Since calls are now given online, could it be something along the line of a shipping company saying, "Your order is being processed"?
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Well, other than 2 hour church, GC is turning out to be a revelation bust.

Same as it ever was.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

Anon70

Post by Anon70 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:16 pm

w2mz wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Same as it ever was.
I’ve listened to so much conference and obsessively refreshed reddit and fb watching for the “buckle up” exciting news.

I feel so played.

The Beast

Post by The Beast » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:14 pm

Anon70 wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:16 pm
w2mz wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:08 pm

Same as it ever was.
I’ve listened to so much conference and obsessively refreshed reddit and fb watching for the “buckle up” exciting news.

I feel so played.
Kinda describes the entirety of the formerly Mormon experience really.
Are you on the square? Are you on the level?